Need ideas to help my mom

ArmyBrat

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My mom is in a NP program through the Army. She is taking a class, nuero something or another, where she has to dissect cadavers. This has been a very difficult process for her. She is having a lot of issues with the SMELL of the formaldehyde and I would like to find ways to help her cope with it. I am putting together a care box and so far I have vicks vapor rub for under her nose and milk thistle (I read something about increased liver function helping with the formalin?). Any other ideas? Maybe some tricks to lessen the smell or good soap that lessens it. Any suggestions would be great :)

Members don't see this ad.

I chewed a strong mint gum in the lab and it helped. Some students don't like to chew gum in the cadaver lab, but the gum and Vicks helped me a lot. Also, as the semester went on, the smell didn't bother me as much.s

The only thing I found that got the smell out of my hands was soaking them in a citrus dish soap (or just scrubbing some pots after lab and killing two birds with one stone). Many people recommend lemon juice, but that burns if you have a cut.