Need Insightful Input

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nealan2

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

So I'm a junior at VCU studying Health Science with Chemistry. The past few months have been very very stressful and difficult for me. I've been forced to work basically full time to help my family pay for school, and I see my grades suffering this semester. I currently have a high C in microbiology and a D in Organic Chem 2 this semester.

I was wondering if I should withdraw or try to pull my grades up. By no means I am not a quitter, but I don't want to lower my chances for getting into dental school because of bad grades. As of now my GPA is a 3.7, and I'm in the honors college at my school. Also I am the People's Lead for Relay for Life at school and the public relations officer for my honors society. I've interned at VDA, participated in the SMDEP program, and have a load of shadowing experience. Although I have these accomplishments I still feel as though I'm not a strong enough applicant especially since my grades aren't as high as I would like this semester.

If anyone could give any advice on how to balance a crazy schedule, and really just to stay motivated I would really really appreciate it. Also I would like your honest opinion on what you think my chances are for getting into dental school or whether I should take a gap year. I really feel as though I may need the mental break.

Members don't see this ad.

Having 2 W's on your transcript is better than a C and a D. I highly recommend a gap year but make sure you know who you are and that you can keep your eye on the prize (dentistry)... Don't get complacent and settle for some mediocre job that lets you pay for rent and some bread crumbs.

Microbiology is a pre-req at a minoroty of dental schools. Take Ochem with a few less intense classes and really push for a B or better. Then do Micro your senior year if you need to for some reason.

If you keep your GPA where it's at and score 20+ on the DAT then you have a really good shot at becoming a dentist.

Last edited: