Need License to become a Pharm Tech?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Crystal Bowen

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am new to this forum; however, I have been reading the discussions on this site for quite sometime. I am looking at applying to pharmacy school this coming fall, and I feel that it is time for me to gain a little experience working at a pharmacy this summer and throughout my junior year in college. I attend Clemson University in SC (GO TIGERS!!!!). I was wondering if someone knows if it is required for me to be licensed as a pharmacy technican before applying, or I could start working as a paid tech with the minimum 2 years of pre-pharmacy coursework under my belt. Please let me feed me any advice that will help me in my findings. Thanks!:laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

Hi there,

I'm fairly new too, but from what I understand, it depends on what state you are in. I don't know about the regulations for SC, but a quick visit to the SC board of pharmacy website brought this up:

http://www.llr.state.sc.us/pol/pharmacy/index.asp?file=pub.htm

This paragraph was in one of the forms:

"According to the S.C. Pharmacy Practice Act Section 40-43-82(B)(1)(a)-(d), beginning January 1, 2005, to be state certified as a pharmacy technician an individual must have passed the Pharmacy Technician Certification Board (PTCB) examination, must have worked for 1,000 hours under the supervision of a licensed pharmacist as a registered pharmacy technician and must have completed a Board of Pharmacy-approved pharmacy technician course of study."

Since you can't get certified without having worked for 1,000 hours, I imagine you can work as a tech without being certified. It does look like you might have to register as a tech, though, which seems to be this form:

http://www.llr.state.sc.us/pol/pharmacy/PFORMS/Pharmacy Technician Registration .pdf

But since I don't work in SC, I don't actually know--- hopefully someone in-state can answer your question better! Good luck!

Thanks alot! That helps. I will definitely look into it!