Need major help...please!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

risingpheonix

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here it goes.

My stats are 2.5 cum gpa and 2.1 bcmp gpa.

I was a bio major my first 3.5 years as undergrad and switched to CS and finished 3 years later. I know these are pathetic stats, but I am willing to do whatever it takes to go to med school.

However, I have one major issue. I've graduated with almost 200 credit hours and it's going to be hard to raise the gpa, especially my science gpa. My thoughts are to retake all my premed classes over the next 1-1.5 years and follow that with another 60 or so credits in hardcore upper level science classes.

I plan to take 20-25 credits a year while working fulltime. Quitting my job is not an option. I know some might say that's crazy, but I know I can do it.

Can anyone give me any guidance on what I need to do :) or tell me my chances of getting into med school. Even though I don't get my gpa above a 3.0, will getting straight A's in 3-4 years of fulltime upper level science classes get me into med school?

One more thing I'd like to mention. I won't name which school, but I spoke to the Dean of Admissions from a med school my brother graduated from. She recognized my last name and when I told her who my brother was, she remembered him because he served on the admissions committee duing his time as an attending physician and instructor.

We then discussed what I needed to do to get into med school. I told her my stats and she said I needed to do a lot of work to make up for my grades. What's good was that she didn't tell me that I shouldn't even waste my time, which a lot of people with my grades get told by academic counselors.

I then shamelessly asked her if the fact that my brother graduated from that school would give me some sort of "in". She said typically, if I've demonstrated that I would succeed in med school, usually the committe will give relatives of alumni an interview.

What do you guys think? Does this sound like I would have an easier time getting into that school than some other med school. Does it sound that they would more likely listen to my case than another school? Or would they treat me like any other applicant. I know I have a lot of work ahead of me.

sorry for the winded post :)

Members don't see this ad.

Retaking the pre-med (BIO I&II, CHEM I&II, PHYSICS I&II, O-CHEM I&II) may not be a bad idea if you didi badly in them.

But with 200 ug credit hours it would take YEARS of full-time work to make a small move in your GPA.

SMP may be the way to go. :thumbup:

If you think about it, even with 4.0's for 4 years straight of classes, you would still be below average when you apply. The only plausible route for you is obviously an SMP. You will probably be able to be interviewed with a lower GPA, since you have a relative alum, but an SMP will get you there faster. You've already been going to school forever, I doubt you would want to make it another 15 years.