Need opinion: residency chances in California...I am a DO, but I know Cali has MD bias.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

You-Are-My-Only-Hope

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I am posting this because I am currently mid-way through my third year, and I want to do some drastic things for my 4th year. So I am posting on here to know if they are worth it and if I have a chance to get back to Cali.

First off, I was born and raised in Los Angeles, CA, all my life. I was accepted to a DO medical school in Missouri. I have been out here, and I've been trying my hardest in classes and board exams. As well as trying to do as much as possible to strengthen my application, but I fear it may not be strong enough for California.

What I want to do: 4th year, I was planning on trying to do all my 4th-year rotations near my area where I lived(Including audition rotations). Basically, I want to leave Missouri 4th year so that I can hopefully get eyes looking at me in Los Angeles(Or anywhere in California). Then apply all over California(and maybe a few neighboring states) to see if I can get in and get residency interviews.

The specialty I want to do: Family Med

Current application:
1) Scored top 85% percentile in my class
2) Board Exams:
Step 1: 246
COMLEX: 705
3) Doing a dual degree of bioethics while getting my DO
4) Worked as one of the two tutor coordinators at my school that set up all the tutoring for the 1st year class(when I was a second-year)
5) Worked as a tutor as well, in both Biochemistry and Renal for the 1st year class(When I was a second-year)
6) I also worked online as a tutor separately for multiple subjects.
7) I also interviewed and was accepted into the Internal medicine Honors track at my school. (Needed to apply, interview and get accepted)
8) Currently in my shelf exams, Taken three and have honored 2 out of 3(Peds, Internal Medicine honored, did not honor OB by a point or two)
9) Currently have two letters of Recommendation which seem strong. The preceptors liked me a lot and stated they could write me strong letters. (Peds and IM) I will likely try to get another from family medicine and possibly another one from IM. No issues in my rotations thus far, all preceptors have liked me and have written me pretty strong evaluations.
10) I also have extracurricular activities that our school made all students do. Example being a program where we went to low-income neighborhoods all over the city and do physical exams on the elementary school students. However this was mandatory, so I'm not sure where it falls in with volunteer work.

Ethnicity: I am also Hispanic, and I speak Spanish, which hopefully helps in the programs since many individuals in certain areas there are predominately Hispanic.

Note: I will try to honor as many shelf exams as I can. And hopefully, do well in Step 2 CK and COMLEX LEVEL 2.

What are my chances of getting into a family medicine residency in California? I want to know if my 4th-year plan sounds plausible or if I have such a slim chance that I shouldn't do that. Also, if I posted in the wrong section, sorry about that, I wasn't sure where exactly this should go.

Members don't see this ad.

Your app as it stands is way stronger than mine as an MD lol

Best bet is to do auditions where you want to end up.

Hello everyone, I am posting this because I am currently mid-way through my third year, and I want to do some drastic things for my 4th year. So I am posting on here to know if they are worth it and if I have a chance to get back to Cali.

First off, I was born and raised in Los Angeles, CA, all my life. I was accepted to a DO medical school in Missouri. I have been out here, and I've been trying my hardest in classes and board exams. As well as trying to do as much as possible to strengthen my application, but I fear it may not be strong enough for California.

What I want to do: 4th year, I was planning on trying to do all my 4th-year rotations near my area where I lived(Including audition rotations). Basically, I want to leave Missouri 4th year so that I can hopefully get eyes looking at me in Los Angeles(Or anywhere in California). Then apply all over California(and maybe a few neighboring states) to see if I can get in and get residency interviews.

Current application:
2) Board Exams:
4) Worked as one of the two tutor coordinators at my school that set up all the tutoring for the 1st year class(when I was a second-year)
5) Worked as a tutor as well, in both Biochemistry and Renal for the 1st year class(When I was a second-year)
7) I also interviewed and was accepted into the Internal medicine Honors track at my school. (Needed to apply, interview and get accepted)
8) Currently in my shelf exams, Taken three and have honored 2 out of 3(Peds, Internal Medicine honored, did not honor OB by a point or two)
9) Currently have two letters of Recommendation which seem strong. The preceptors liked me a lot and stated they could write me strong letters. (Peds and IM) I will likely try to get another from family medicine and possibly another one from IM. No issues in my rotations thus far, all preceptors have liked me and have written me pretty strong evaluations.
10) I also have extracurricular activities that our school made all students do. Example being a program where we went to low-income neighborhoods all over the city and do physical exams on the elementary school students. However this was mandatory, so I'm not sure where it falls in with volunteer work.

Ethnicity: I am also Hispanic, and I speak Spanish, which hopefully helps in the programs since many individuals in certain areas there are predominately Hispanic.

Note: I will try to honor as many shelf exams as I can. And hopefully, do well in Step 2 CK and COMLEX LEVEL 2.

What are my chances of getting into a family medicine residency in California? I want to know if my 4th-year plan sounds plausible or if I have such a slim chance that I shouldn't do that. Also, if I posted in the wrong section, sorry about that, I wasn't sure where exactly this should go.
My school has no problem sending DO grads to CA.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)

Current application:
2) Board Exams:

Quick question, what board prep did you use? Sorry for asking, I’m sure you will make it with your competitiveness!

What are your thoughts on me doing all 4th-year rotations out there and my chances for residency?

For FM i think you’ll be fine.
You’re from CA which also helps you. Setting up your rotations there will also give you exposure to a lot of places and allows places to know you too

Reactions: 1 user
Quick question, what board prep did you use? Sorry for asking, I’m sure you will make it with your competitiveness!

For step 1, I didn't start studying for boards until probably Jan(I took mine in July).
I would do 10 Combank questions a day every day.(I tried to push it to 40 a month out from dedicated but I usually could only do 10 with my busy schedule)
Around the end of Feb/ early March, I started doing Anki for Pepper Pharm/Micro.
Then around late March/Early April started the Duke Pathoma deck.
At this point, I already had gone through all of Pathoma once and I also read Robbins(It was my textbook for school, so I had a ton of pathology info)
Then around dedicated(mine was 5 weeks), I did Uworld Random. I did around 80 questions a day(some days 100) and would review them the entire day. First Aid was only used as a reference.
I also used Boards and Beyond as a reference when I needed to look up information I did not understand. For me some physiology parts were a bit confusing so I used boards and beyond to understand them in depth.
I would do 1 test per week, and saved UWorld #2, 3 days out from my exam.

NOTE: this isn't counting my core class studying which I did most of the Kaplan Qbank for classes alongside all of Robbins Pathology questions.

with those scores you are going to be fine even as a DO for FM in cali. Just apply broadly in cali.

You’ll be fine. Just don’t HAVE to do residency at UCSF or the other major Cali schools and you’ll be okay

Look into Kaiser! The particular FM program near my hometown in so cal has a bunch of DO residents.

Sent from my SM-G955U using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)

Current application:
2) Board Exams:

246 step 1, grew up in Cali, speaks Spanish, and applying FM, I think you can absolutely match in Cali. All I would say is get a FM LOR

My school has no problem sending DO grads to CA.
I wish my school would. in our mandatory meeting about COMLEX and Step 1 our dean strongly discouraged any of our students to apply to CA residencies. One student asked the dean in front of entire class and she basically shot it down hard saying we wont match there plain and simple haha. She later went on to strongly discourage anyone from taking Step 1 unless they had at least an 89% avg lmao (which encompasses maybe 35 kids of our entire class of 150). Not sure if its like this at other schools but man our dean sure doesnt want anyone taking Step 1. Maybe its because our avg Step is trash (226)

Current application:
2) Board Exams:

Dude, you'll be fine. You will absolutely match FM in CA, and probably in SoCal at that. Speaking as someone who applied to programs out west as well as locally, you'll really be fine. To give you an idea, you have a higher step than I did, you speak Spanish and you have a very clear and high quality pull to the area (you grew up there).

I applied to a bunch of programs in SoCal (the northernmost being Marian in Santa Maria). I don't speak Spanish. My only connection was a single extra curricular activity and the fact that my wife grew up there, and virtually every single one of my previous education and other EC experiences occurred in my home state literally on the other side of the country. I did no rotations out there. I still had like a 30-35% interview:application ratio out there (90-95% in my home state and neighboring states), and those were all ACGME programs (I only applied ACGME or dual-accredited) and in SoCal (again Santa Maria was the most north).

You'll do fine. Almost all the FM programs out there have taken DOs in recent years, except maybe a few, and there are like almost 50 programs in CA.

To give you an idea, I interviewed at Marian, Ventura, Eisenhower, UCSD, Northridge, and PIH-Whittier. I got a couple others, but didn't go to them and don't remember what they were. If I had a connection or spoke Spanish, I think I would have had a chance at Harbor, but honestly didn't push it because it was looking less and less like I was going to end up in CA the further along the interview cycle went. I didn't apply to the Kaisers, but some of them have DOs there.

To reiterate, you'll be fine. A lot of the places I interviewed at would be "safe" apps for you.

What are your thoughts on me doing all 4th-year rotations out there and my chances for residency?

You don't need to, but if you want to spend time near family, feel free. Other benefit is getting a better idea of how life would be there and what the programs are really like. Doing a rotation at a reach might be valuable to both get an FM LOR and possibly getting some attention at a place with fewer DOs.

I wouldn't make all of my rotations auditions out there. You should have some lighter ones, especially during the busy interview months (late Oct-early Dec) to make room for interviews.

...Maybe its because our avg Step is trash (226)

By "trash" you mean within 4 points of the national average.

Dude, you'll be fine. You will absolutely match FM in CA, and probably in SoCal at that. Speaking as someone who applied to programs out west as well as locally, you'll really be fine. To give you an idea, you have a higher step than I did, you speak Spanish and you have a very clear and high quality pull to the area (you grew up there).

I applied to a bunch of programs in SoCal (the northernmost being Marian in Santa Maria). I don't speak Spanish. My only connection was a single extra curricular activity and the fact that my wife grew up there, and virtually every single one of my previous education and other EC experiences occurred in my home state literally on the other side of the country. I did no rotations out there. I still had like a 30-35% interview:application ratio out there (90-95% in my home state and neighboring states), and those were all ACGME programs (I only applied ACGME or dual-accredited) and in SoCal (again Santa Maria was the most north).

You'll do fine. Almost all the FM programs out there have taken DOs in recent years, except maybe a few, and there are like almost 50 programs in CA.

To give you an idea, I interviewed at Marian, Ventura, Eisenhower, UCSD, Northridge, and PIH-Whittier. I got a couple others, but didn't go to them and don't remember what they were. If I had a connection or spoke Spanish, I think I would have had a chance at Harbor, but honestly didn't push it because it was looking less and less like I was going to end up in CA the further along the interview cycle went. I didn't apply to the Kaisers, but some of them have DOs there.

To reiterate, you'll be fine. A lot of the places I interviewed at would be "safe" apps for you.

You don't need to, but if you want to spend time near family, feel free. Other benefit is getting a better idea of how life would be there and what the programs are really like. Doing a rotation at a reach might be valuable to both get an FM LOR and possibly getting some attention at a place with fewer DOs.

I wouldn't make all of my rotations auditions out there. You should have some lighter ones, especially during the busy interview months (late Oct-early Dec) to make room for interviews.

By "trash" you mean within 4 points of the national average.
*7 points of the national average (233 as of 2019 NRMP data). The difference between a 226 and a 233 certainly isn't subtle

Probably because that is for all test takers. I was looking at those who matched

That was actually the score for all US/Canadian (i.e. LCME accredited) MD schools, which are the ones that require it.

If we're talking about matched, the USMLE Step 1 average for DOs that matched in 2018 was actually 227. It was 233 for US MDs.

That was actually the score for all US/Canadian (i.e. LCME accredited) MD schools, which are the ones that require it.

If we're talking about matched, the USMLE Step 1 average for DOs that matched in 2018 was actually 227. It was 233 for US MDs.
Well damn. A 226 really doesn't give you much to work with and if you look at the students taking Step 1 from my school it is only the high performing students (top quartile with avgs between 88-94% preclinical grades) taking the exam so if most of these students are getting a below avg Step 1 score then that feels like an issue

edit: maybe the kids with the 94s are spending too much time on class slides and not on board resources. We all know class slides during M2 really get us nowhere for Step 1

Well damn. A 226 really doesn't give you much to work with and if you look at the students taking Step 1 from my school it is only the high performing students (top quartile with avgs between 88-94% preclinical grades) taking the exam so if most of these students are getting a below avg Step 1 score then that feels like an issue

edit: maybe the kids with the 94s are spending too much time on class slides and not on board resources. We all know class slides during M2 really get us nowhere for Step 1

It depends on what you're going for. For a DO applying Peds or FM, a 226 will be fine. Maybe not in CA (although it doesn't mean it can't happen), but it will be fine. Like I said, for DOs, the average for matching was 227, so it really wasn't that far off from your schools average. There absolutely are MD schools with average USMLE scores at the 227-228 level, and if you include PR it goes lower, so really don't be so worried. Aim for the highest score you can get and be done with it.

Reactions: 1 users
It depends on what you're going for. For a DO applying Peds or FM, a 226 will be fine. Maybe not in CA (although it doesn't mean it can't happen), but it will be fine. Like I said, for DOs, the average for matching was 227, so it really wasn't that far off from your schools average. There absolutely are MD schools with average USMLE scores at the 227-228 level, and if you include PR it goes lower, so really don't be so worried. Aim for the highest score you can get and be done with it.
Yes you nailed it on the head-i am worried lmao. Don't want to derail the thread but if you could drop some quick knowledge im shooting for university IM (low to mid tier) as a DO. Academically I did very well M1 and M2 so far and been using board resources all along (taking June 2020) do you think high 230s-240+ would be good enough? Shooting for 250+ to be safe

Yes you nailed it on the head-i am worried lmao. Don't want to derail the thread but if you could drop some quick knowledge im shooting for university IM (low to mid tier) as a DO...

Per charting outcomes, IM Step 1 average for NRMP matched DOs was 226. Majority of those are likely community programs. For low tier university IM, getting at least 220 will be important as many cutoffs appear at that level, but >230 would be ideal.

...Academically I did very well M1 and M2 so far (taking June 2020) do you think high 230s-240+ would be good enough?

Yes. For the low-mid tier places that will take DOs, that will be enough.

You need more to your app than that though, so I would be sure to get a department chair or a PD LOR at an ACGME program if possible and do research.

...Shooting for 250+ to be safe

Shoot for 270+ (your goal should be the highest you are capable of), that way you have no regrets at the end. That said, don't burn out in dedicated.

Per charting outcomes, IM Step 1 average for NRMP matched DOs was 226. Majority of those are likely community programs. For low tier university IM, getting at least 220 will be important as many cutoffs appear at that level, but >230 would be ideal.

Yes. For the low-mid tier places that will take DOs, that will be enough.

You need more to your app than that though, so I would be sure to get a department chair or a PD LOR at an ACGME program if possible and do research.

Shoot for 270+ (your goal should be the highest you are capable of), that way you have no regrets at the end. That said, don't burn out in dedicated.
Thanks for the tips. No research background yet-Do I need first auth pubs or can I get some in during M3 clerkships and M4. Right now I am trying to put everything I've got into Step 1

Thanks for the tips. No research background yet-Do I need first auth pubs or can I get some in during M3 clerkships and M4. Right now I am trying to put everything I've got into Step 1

M3/M4 is fine, just hustle. The people that I know who applied/matched truly mid-tier university IM had a decent amount of research, usually in the subspecialty they were planning on doing. You could easily pull off case reports if you attach yourself to the right people.

I honestly only had 1-2 pubs that were done during med school, but had a lot from basically the whole decade prior to med school.

Also keep in mind that while low-mid tier university IM is a good goal to have as a DO, you can still accomplish almost everything from a community program especially one with good in-house fellowships, its just a steeper hill.

Reactions: 1 users
I wish my school would. in our mandatory meeting about COMLEX and Step 1 our dean strongly discouraged any of our students to apply to CA residencies. One student asked the dean in front of entire class and she basically shot it down hard saying we wont match there plain and simple haha. She later went on to strongly discourage anyone from taking Step 1 unless they had at least an 89% avg lmao (which encompasses maybe 35 kids of our entire class of 150). Not sure if its like this at other schools but man our dean sure doesnt want anyone taking Step 1. Maybe its because our avg Step is trash (226)

As someone who did med school and is currently doing residency here in CA - your school is just dumb. There are plenty of DOs in residency programs here - multiple in my own program - and plenty in the family med programs near me that rotate with us.

• Love

you'll be fine.

i did an IM residency in the bay area, nonacademic center, but it was one of the better community programs. there were multiple DO's in my program, IIRC some of them matched for GI fellowships as well. I can only imagine FP residencies would be easier to match than IM. spanish is also amazingly useful in any part of cali as well.

my guess is that with stats like these you'll have ur pick of the litter among a large number of programs in cali
u can so self research which programs are most DO friendly just be looking at their current/past residents and see how many DOs there are

in socal hospitals, if u spoke spanish+vietnamese u would be a god among men.
so im afraid that you'd have to settle for being a mere demigod.

M3/M4 is fine, just hustle. The people that I know who applied/matched truly mid-tier university IM had a decent amount of research, usually in the subspecialty they were planning on doing. You could easily pull off case reports if you attach yourself to the right people.

I honestly only had 1-2 pubs that were done during med school, but had a lot from basically the whole decade prior to med school.

Also keep in mind that while low-mid tier university IM is a good goal to have as a DO, you can still accomplish almost everything from a community program especially one with good in-house fellowships, its just a steeper hill.
My school actually has decent inhouse GI hemeonc cards PCC aka all the competitive fellowships which is nice if i did decide on one of those but rn AI and rheum are on my radar but having those in house fellowships is def a plus since thats not always the case with some DO schools so I will apply there for sure as back up

Wow guys, thanks so much for all the positive responses. I really didn't expect that :cryi::cryi::cryi::cryi:

Last question: Does it matter if I don't have research?

Wow guys, thanks so much for all the positive responses. I really didn't expect that :cryi::cryi::cryi::cryi:

i dont think normal FM programs care that much about research , i matched IM without any research from med school, and while im an MD , my stats are worse than urs

I have zero research with a 211 as an MD. I had no problems at all.

I had a ton of research, mainly from my pre-med school life. I did have to 2 pubs during med school, but only about half the programs I interviewed at asked me about them (only the more recent ones in med school), and it was more just something interesting to talk about. I don't think it will hurt you at all for FM. If anything, most FM programs care more about showing your interest serving your community. I got asked way more about volunteering/community organizing (also something I did a lot pre-med school) than I did research.

I had a ton of research, mainly from my pre-med school life. I did have to 2 pubs during med school, but only about half the programs I interviewed at asked me about them (only the more recent ones in med school), and it was more just something interesting to talk about. I don't think it will hurt you at all for FM. If anything, most FM programs care more about showing your interest serving your community. I got asked way more about volunteering/community organizing (also something I did a lot pre-med school) than I did research.

Thats so great! I have a decent amount of volunteering from my school and through a mentor program, I am doing right now. I also really want to go back to my communities and help the areas that need it.

Does honoring the rest of my shelves matter a lot btw? Does it make or break my chances? Or are there really not very important for residencies?

Thats so great! I have a decent amount of volunteering from my school and through a mentor program, I am doing right now. I also really want to go back to my communities and help the areas that need it.

Does honoring the rest of my shelves matter a lot btw? Does it make or break my chances? Or are there really not very important for residencies?

Are they reported on your MSPE?

Are they reported on your MSPE?
My shelf exams? I believe it is included in the the deans letter(MSPE). But I am not 100% sure about that

Edit: So in my school, Shelf exams are 100% the grades we get. The evaluations are included in the deans letters, while the grade for the rotation are completely determined by the test.