Need Perspective and Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

throwaway7007

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just got Step 1 scores, and got a 258! Obviously extremely thrilled, and surprised enough to switch gears as far as career goals. I wanted to know if top programs (MGH/Brigham/Duke/UCSF/Stanford) would still consider me if I'm definitely not going to be AOA (not an EC gal, so no volunteering/leadership, but am apart of my state anesthesia society and ASA). USMD at a top 25 with a solid amount of research (~15 abstracts/pubs/presentations) and will have a great LOR in the field. Anticipating top half of class, closer to top quartile. MSPE should be great since I've gotten along well with everyone on my teams thus far.

Thanks for the help!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
R u serious?

I really can't gauge much from Meddit, Charting Outcomes 2018, and SDN 2017-2018 application sheet for top programs, specifically. Since 10% of applicants are AOA, I thought it was reasonable to wonder if these were still in reach since, theoretically, most of these programs would have their pick and most likely prefer AOA students.

Congrats! Definitely. No aoa too.

Thanks! So it's not as required as it's touted to be on these forums?

I really can't gauge much from Meddit, Charting Outcomes 2018, and SDN 2017-2018 application sheet for top programs, specifically. Since 10% of applicants are AOA, I thought it was reasonable to wonder if these were still in reach since, theoretically, most of these programs would have their pick and most likely prefer AOA students.

Thanks! So it's not as required as it's touted to be on these forums?

40% of my class are aoa. You’ll certainly be considered. All the best!

Reactions: 1 user
Its an entire package.

And you have most of the boxes checked:
- good LOR
- good Step 1
- pubs
- good school
- good evals

I don't recall the number of students who are in top 10% who matched. You listed a handful of programs. I suspect there are more residents in those programs than people who are AOA. I could be wrong though.

Got a 250 guys am I studk with fm in north dakota?

Reactions: 13 users
My school used a vote to elect half the AOA membership, others are following suit so it often can be a popularity contest. It doesn’t mean as much as it used to be. Same with being a chief resident.

Reactions: 2 users
My school used a vote to elect half the AOA membership, others are following suit so it often can be a popularity contest. It doesn’t mean as much as it used to be. Same with being a chief resident.

Yeah nowadays they got chief of primary care, chief of ambulatory surgery, chief of inpatient hospitality, chief of janitorial services. I feel like it's almost better to not be a chief, I don't think I'd be able to stand the obsequeious nature of the position.

Just got Step 1 scores, and got a 258! Obviously extremely thrilled, and surprised enough to switch gears as far as career goals. I wanted to know if top programs (MGH/Brigham/Duke/UCSF/Stanford) would still consider me if I'm definitely not going to be AOA (not an EC gal, so no volunteering/leadership, but am apart of my state anesthesia society and ASA). USMD at a top 25 with a solid amount of research (~15 abstracts/pubs/presentations) and will have a great LOR in the field. Anticipating top half of class, closer to top quartile. MSPE should be great since I've gotten along well with everyone on my teams thus far.

Thanks for the help!
Screw anesthesia.....with those stats, apply for derm.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
40% of my class are aoa. You’ll certainly be considered. All the best!

Thanks! I didn’t even know that was possible haha.

Its an entire package.

And you have most of the boxes checked:
- good LOR
- good Step 1
- pubs
- good school
- good evals

I don't recall the number of students who are in top 10% who matched. You listed a handful of programs. I suspect there are more residents in those programs than people who are AOA. I could be wrong though.

With 10% being AOA, that means about ~115 are considered in that range, which constitutes about the top 5-7 program slots. I’m assuming a lot of these people go elsewhere, but it was just something that made me wonder. Thanks for your insight!

Got a 250 guys am I studk with fm in north dakota?

I know a lot of people anticipate the humble brags here (for good reason), but I listed the top 5 programs for a reason — I know it’s within reach, but this is something that could definitely seem to be a deterrent.

I had no idea AOA was that variable between medical schools, i thought it was more standardized? In that case, it seems pretty arbitrary.

Screw anesthesia.....with those stat, apply for derm.

Lol if I could live with that decision I probably would

Thanks for the help!

You are competitive for every anesthesia program and will likely match at your number 1 or 2.

Thanks for the help!

I was in your shoes + AOA a couple years ago. Only saying this because I too really wanted to go to those “top programs.” I interviewed at all of them but ultimately ranked a “high-middle tier” (who even really knows what that means?) as my #1. Interview everywhere but ultimately choose where you want to go based on where people seem the happiest and where you feel like you fit in the best. Life is too short to spend 3-4 years of the prime of your life (for most applicants) at a place that you mostly just tolerate because of a brand name that eventually won’t matter.

Reactions: 4 users
I was in your shoes + AOA a couple years ago. Only saying this because I too really wanted to go to those “top programs.” I interviewed at all of them but ultimately ranked a “high-middle tier” (who even really knows what that means?) as my #1. Interview everywhere but ultimately choose where you want to go based on where people seem the happiest and where you feel like you fit in the best. Life is too short to spend 3-4 years of the prime of your life (for most applicants) at a place that you mostly just tolerate because of a brand name that eventually won’t matter.

I agree with you entirely! I just wanted to make sure I had all the doors open so I have options. Appreciate the insight

As I get further along in training, I'm beginning to wonder exactly why the "top" programs are considered to be as such.

As I get further along in training, I'm beginning to wonder exactly why the "top" programs are considered to be as such.

They have the "name" or are in a prime location that most people wish they could live in.