Need serious advice about pre-req completion and working FT balance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wdwrn

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm about to start back to school in January 2015 as a non-trad student and needing some advice (preferably from those who have done it) on my timeline. I work FT as an RN and have the luxury of self-scheduling, 3 days a week (they are long though, typically 6:30a-8p, so I don't do much else except work these days). My plan as of now is to go back to school and take 8 credits per semester - classes and labs all day T/TR. I'll work 3 other days a week, and then still have two full days off for studying.

I thought I had my timeline figured out, but I'm thinking it may be too optimistic. My plan is to work FT, preferably up until I would start medical school. Know that I am single, have no other income, and will be taking out loans again for school (on top of loans I already have). It's not much of an option for me to reduce to PT work, I need money to pay the bills and put food on the table. That said, I'm already being patient and going at what I think is a slower pace - the plan is to apply in 2017 to matriculate in 2018.

I was a great student in undergrad, but science courses were not just natural - I did work hard for my grades. I am definitely intimidated by going back to do this. I typically have to do some self-teaching after classes (I am a very conceptual learner). I do have decent time management skills though, and I'm OK with giving up my social life (again, I am still "young" and have no other personal commitments). Also, know that my only local 4 year university is known for having notoriously difficult (but great) professors. There will be no easy grades at all here.

I'll be taking all classes again except Bio I, so: Biology II, Gen Chem series, Ochem series, Physics series (non-calculus based, yay), and then Biochemistry. I'd like to take Genetics too (not before MCAT), but it's not necessary. Note that with the new MCAT, will now have to take Biochem before sitting for the exam.

Thank you if you have listened this far - here is my proposed timeline now:

Spring 2015: Gen Chem I and Bio II
Summer II 2015: Gen Chem II
Fall 2015: Organic I and Physics I (non-calc)
Spring 2016: Organic II and Physics II
(no summer classes)
Fall 2016: Biochem (only one course, allow lots of time for MCAT study)
Spring 2017: Heavy MCAT studying and possibly Genetics
Spring/Summer 2017: Sit for MCAT, apply, etc.

From what I've been reading, I'm wondering if even starting back to school with Bio and Gen Chem is too much of a jump, and if I should just take Gen Chem. I could take Bio II last, in Spring 2017 while prepping for the MCAT. Seems odd though. I am definitely wondering if Ochem and Physics together is also way too much to handle. Please let me know your reality/past experiences. I know there's some room for modification here, I just can't seem to figure it out.

B/C I know people will bring this up, I cannot take more than one summer session per year. They last five weeks and my plan is to work Sat/Sun shifts and then take one-day of vacation to still be FT eligible at my job. I do think I will perform well in summer classes though.

I am dedicated, so if I had to drop to PT I would consider it, but I cannot emphasize enough that I do not want to do this. My cost of living in my city is expensive, plus, I don't want to give up FT work, get into med school -and then have to only have part-time work during my glide year (when I'll have tons of time).

God bless your soul if you've read this.

Members don't see this ad.

My school requires 1 year of Gen Chem as a pre-req for Bio....

Full time work and 2 classes is definitely doable. Not easy, but doable. I did my post-bacc while working 30 hours per week and volunteering 10 hours per week. I took three upper division science courses each quarter. I also continued my work and volunteering while studying for my MCAT and did well. I can't stress this next point enough, though. I had ZERO social life. I know you said you're okay with this, but just know, it's very likely to happen. I made the decision to commit to it, and it worked for me (if only I had that dedication and maturity as an undergrad!). I was in a different situation though, as I was doing academic enhancer classes instead of pre-reqs.

I think your timeline looks reasonable and not too rushed. I took Ochem and physics together, but I had already taken physics in high school, so it wasn't completely new to me. I would try to sit for the MCAT by May of that year so that your scores will be in by June, and you can submit your complete/verified application early.

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Spring 2015: Gen Chem I and Bio II
Summer II 2015: Gen Chem II
Fall 2015: Organic I and Physics I (non-calc)
Spring 2016: Organic II and Physics II
(no summer classes)
Fall 2016: Biochem (only one course, allow lots of time for MCAT study)
Spring 2017: Heavy MCAT studying and possibly Genetics
Spring/Summer 2017: Sit for MCAT, apply, etc.

Why not Take Biochem in the summer 2016 so that you can take the MCAT in aug?

Hey! I have been going through a similar situation for the past 2ish years. Here is my advice:

-Make a plan (yours look good)
-Do not take any classes while studying for the MCAT (I made that mistake, trust me it, it is a mistake)
-I think OChem II and Physics II will be difficult but you can do it
-Take MCAT in May, work on app after that, apply EARLY
-Start your personal statement now while you are waiting for classes to start... get it out of the way and you can refine it as you go. I think this will take alot of the stress off of you down the road.

I am a biomed engineer and worked full time (40 hrs/week Mon-Fri). It was alot for me. I had a 3.75 GPA undergrad and only got a 3.65 in my post bac BCPM courses. It was tough being in class with a bunch of people who either weren't working or working 20 hrs/week in a lab or something. They just had more time. Time is the issue. However, the experience I have gained from working in the med device industry will (hopefully) make me stand out. I think that it's important for you for money and experience. You are with patients everyday doing stuff that matters. The adcoms HAVE to appreciate that. It is going to be tough, and there are going to be days/weeks where it is completely overwhelming but you can do it especially with a good attitude.

Reactions: 1 user
Looks like you are planning well which is good :) I'm in a similar situation now, I was working part time while knocking out some of the classes but now working full time and finishing the last few at one or two per semester.

Some general comments:

- I don't suppose it matters a lot, and different people have different ways, but I organized my classes roughly like the organization of the (soon-to-be) old MCAT, with Gen Chem and Physics first (Physical Sciences), followed by Bio and Orgo (Biological Sciences). This seemed more logical to me, but it's up to your taste.

- In the interest of easing back into classes, you may want to bump Biochem up in the order, depending on which Biochem your school offers/or you are wanting to take. At my school there are two versions and the names don't tell you much, "Biochemistry" and "Bioorganic Chemistry." Look in the school catalog at what the pre-reqs are for each class. At my school, one of them had only Intro to Chem as a pre-req, so I said ahh that must be pretty easy. The other one had something like Bio III and Physical Chemistry as pre-reqs, so I said no way I'm doing that one. I looked at the local community college for their Biochem and it had pre-reqs somewhere in the middle. Point is, it seems like the difficulty of Biochem classes has a lot of range so you may find a version that is quite easy.

Reactions: 1 user