Veteran and ft worker

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Connor216413

Reaction score
Good morning everyone,

As the title says, I am a 23 year old currently working FT, finishing up the remainder of my service contract in the reserves, and am a ft student. I work in the aerospace industry and am finishing up my second year of school... so I have quite a bit of time remaining. However, I do not think it is too early to learn more about shadowing and clinical experience.

My dream has always been to become a physician, and although I still have two years until my undergrad is complete, I believe there are steps I can take now to better my chances when it is time to apply.

My GPA is currently 3.6 due to some course issues while deployed, but I believe I can up those numbers in the next couple semesters.

What steps would you recommend someone to take to better prepare themselves for the application process for hopefully entering med school? I have thought about using a summer semester for EMT training, or scribe training, or something similar, but am unsure what would look the best on an application packet..

Any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

First off, many thanks for your service to our country.

Don't think about about what "looks best". Think about what you can learn and add to the story your application will tell. Do not take EMT training unless you wish to be an EMT for awhile. Scribing is a triple positive because it's employment (always good), clinical exposure, and shadowing rolled into one. But there are other clinical venues out there, but paid and volunteer.

Read this:
Med School Rx: Getting In, Getting Through, and Getting On with Doctoring Original Edition by Walter Hartwig
ISBN-13: 978-1607140627

ISBN-10: 1607140624

First off, many thanks for your service to our country.

Don't think about about what "looks best". Think about what you can learn and add to the story your application will tell. Do not take EMT training unless you wish to be an EMT for awhile. Scribing is a triple positive because it's employment (always good), clinical exposure, and shadowing rolled into one. But there are other clinical venues out there, but paid and volunteer.

Read this:
Med School Rx: Getting In, Getting Through, and Getting On with Doctoring Original Edition by Walter Hartwig
ISBN-13: 978-1607140627

ISBN-10: 1607140624

I'm also a veteran and took Goro's advice about this book and found it very relevant and helpful, so I second this recommendation. I ended up with a very successful application and am currently in my 3rd year at my top choice school.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user