Need SERIOUS advice!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dtepper

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm not doing so well on my FL's and I haven't broken 30 yet. My MCAT is May 10th... These are my scores(in order from oldest --> most recent)...

Name/PS/VR/BS/Composite

Kaplan FL 1/10/6/10/26
Kaplan FL 2/9/8/8/25
Kaplan FL 3/10/9/9/28
AAMC 7/10/9/10/29
AAMC 8/9/8/10/27
Kaplan FL 4/10/7/12/29
AAMC 3/10/8/10/28

Should I postpone my mcat? I'm slowly more seriously considering it as a possibility. I'm shooting for a 31.. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

You haven't taken nearly enough AAMC tests. It looks like you could improve all around...personally I would wait until all your AAMC scores are 31-35 to take it.

I'm not doing so well on my FL's and I haven't broken 30 yet. My MCAT is May 10th... These are my scores(in order from oldest --> most recent)...

Name/PS/VR/BS/Composite

Kaplan FL 1/10/6/10/26
Kaplan FL 2/9/8/8/25
Kaplan FL 3/10/9/9/28
AAMC 7/10/9/10/29
AAMC 8/9/8/10/27
Kaplan FL 4/10/7/12/29
AAMC 3/10/8/10/28

Should I postpone my mcat? I'm slowly more seriously considering it as a possibility. I'm shooting for a 31.. Thanks.
Yes, you should postpone while you still have the chance.

I think you still have time and could pull it off. I didn't break 30 until 4/2 and I took the test on 4/19. With two weeks to go I started consistently scoring in the 30s. My two cents is that you go hardcore for the next two weeks and if you still are not happy... I'd still take the test, but void and resched. Now you lose the $200 or so, but if that's not a huge issue, it might be worth it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Unless you have been slacking off and really plan on getting on the ball over the next couple of weeks, I would seriously consider postponing the MCAT.

If you want a 31, I personally would want my practice AAMC average around a 33 to feel safe.

Noone can tell you for sure what to do. But, I would hold off until I had stronger practice scores and put the MCAT off until June. That way you have a solid 4-6 weeks to get the scores up after spring classes are over.

The MCAT is something I would not gamble on. And June would not put you behind at all in the application process.

Sounds like a good solution to me, but I am a little biased since I came up with it!!! :D

:luck:

I'm also planning on taking May 10th and my scores suck, around 26 or 27. But what if I can't do any better? I'm perfectly happy applying DO; I actually like the DO philosophy. Am I crazy? Is that way too low for DO school too?

I'm also planning on taking May 10th and my scores suck, around 26 or 27. But what if I can't do any better? I'm perfectly happy applying DO; I actually like the DO philosophy. Am I crazy? Is that way too low for DO school too?

What is up with this "I can't do any better" mentality? The MCAT is just a giant midterm. If you got a B on a midterm would you walk away thinking you couldn't have done better because of some sort of glass ceiling or would you think that it was just because you hadn't studied enough? If you busted your *** for 4 years in undergrad why throw it away(DO school is not throwing it away, giving up studying for the MCAT is) by not putting your all into 1 last test?

If you're scoring less than a 30 I have to assume it's because you are not familiar enough with the basic science.

If you're scoring less than a 30 I have to assume it's because you are not familiar enough with the basic science.
Agreed. There are enough straight forward questions on the MCAT that if you know your sciences well you can get about a 30. The trick is getting the hard stuff to get over 30 :) But that takes practice.