Need some advice about my last semester of undergrad...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pgh41

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
A

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I took my MCAT last year in April, but I started studying by now. I was swamped with Pchem and Physics plus of others courses. My suggestion would be to take a 2 year gap. That way you can take the MCAT later when you're feeling ready.

With the upcoming MCAT changes, I can understand why you'd want to take them now, but it sounds like you need to wait and take them somewhat later. Maybe by May/June. Maybe by August as many others have done? You can still apply. You just won't know your scores until after the application has been submitted.

A

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Many students take lighter course loads while they study for the MCAT, so I don't think it will be a problem. I also think you should drop the genetics lab and take it over the summer. As long as you do well, I doubt anyone would 'look down' upon you. Schools would definitely prefer you drop a class and do well in your remaining classes and the MCAT, instead of doing just ok (or worse) on everything. You could also cut back on the EC's a bit (ie. fewer hours per week) if needed, although I wouldn't just flat out drop your EC's.

A

Last edited:
Thanks Oso! My biggest concern is that dropping the lab would put me below the minimum enrollment for full-time students. In this case do you still think it would be more beneficial to drop (assuming dropping the lab allows me to do better in everything else)?

I still think dropping the lab would be fine.. How many credits will you have if you drop the lab? Would it be possible to replace it with a less time consuming class?

A

Last edited:
I would go ahead and keep the course. Make it through this semester. Study when you can, even if that's an hour a day in the weeks you aren't completely overwhelmed. This will help you get a feel for the material so you aren't completely overwhelmed come summer break. Then, spend a few weeks at the start of summer studying hardcore. Let the momentum of the semester sort of carry you through. My semester ends in early May personally, so you could give yourself a month of dedicated study time (9 AM-4PM) and spend an hour or so in the mornings or evenings working on your personal statement. You'd even have a couple of weeks before apps opened to revise it. I personally applied late (verified end of September), but I know that applying early gives you a huge leg up.

I'd be at 10 credits if I drop it (12 min for full time, but no consequences because it's my last semester) . I could probably replace it with a pass/fail humanities course.

I personally think you should be fine with 10 credits + MCAT. In the grand scheme of things, I really don't think moving genetics lab to the summer will matter, especially if you've had a decent course load in past semesters and do well this semester. But this is my opinion, so we can wait and see what other people think. Whatever you end up doing, good luck.

A

Last edited:
Could you possible take some courses that are relevant to the MCAT if you haven't done so already? That way you'll be studying for parts of the MCAT concurrently with your course (like physio or genetics).

A

Last edited: