Need some advice after failing Step 2CK

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Trias

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all, here is some info about me:

4th year US Medical school in the midwest.
Step 1: 210 on the first and only try
Step 2 CK (September 25): 181.
Step 2 CK score was automatically sent to all programs per my ERAS application
Applied to about 50 programs - good mix of safety schools, middle-of-the-road, and a few stretch schools thrown in there.

I've already gotten 5 pediatric interviews (mostly at safety schools in the midwest), but haven't gotten one since the failed score was released on September 25. The questions I have are:

1) Do I stand a chance of getting any more interviews in pediatric residency programs?

2) For the interviews I have already been offered- should I quickly try to retake the exam sometime in October so that on my interviews (4/5 of which are scheduled for the first 2 weeks of November) I can say I retook the exam (or perhaps even got my 2nd score back - see question 3).

3) What are the release dates for the USMLE Step 2CK? I called up someone in NBME test registration who explained that regardless of when my exam was taken, I should add 4 weeks to the date, then round to the nearest Wednesday as an approximation for my release day. On the other hand, I've heard about a score release date in early October for people who took their exam in mid-late September - so I'm wondering who is right.

4) Would I be better off to take a gap year, study really well for Step 2 CK, perhaps do some more research and reapply for the match next year? Or should I quickly try to study now, hope I get a passing score so I have something positive to respond with when I'm questioned about my failing grade in Step 2CK?

It's been a rough few days for me, though I'm not looking for coddling- just blunt and sound advice. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Applied to about 50 programs - good mix of safety schools, middle-of-the-road, and a few stretch schools thrown in there.

I've already gotten 5 pediatric interviews (mostly at safety schools in the midwest), but haven't gotten one since the failed score was released on September 25. The questions I have are:

1) Do I stand a chance of getting any more interviews in pediatric residency programs?

2) For the interviews I have already been offered- should I quickly try to retake the exam sometime in October so that on my interviews (4/5 of which are scheduled for the first 2 weeks of November) I can say I retook the exam (or perhaps even got my 2nd score back - see question 3).

3) What are the release dates for the USMLE Step 2CK? I called up someone in NBME test registration who explained that regardless of when my exam was taken, I should add 4 weeks to the date, then round to the nearest Wednesday as an approximation for my release day. On the other hand, I've heard about a score release date in early October for people who took their exam in mid-late September - so I'm wondering who is right.

4) Would I be better off to take a gap year, study really well for Step 2 CK, perhaps do some more research and reapply for the match next year? Or should I quickly try to study now, hope I get a passing score so I have something positive to respond with when I'm questioned about my failing grade in Step 2CK?

It's been a rough few days for me, though I'm not looking for coddling- just blunt and sound advice. Thank you!

I can't answer the other questions, but to the bolded: YES.

The third option: take my time studying now, and take the exam in November/December after most interviews have already been offered.. though that would speak to a slim chance of me matching this year.

Members don't see this ad :)

I don't think scores are automatically submitted--you have to manually resend them each time a new score comes out (this is new this year).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Hey, I'm really sorry to hear that you didn't pass - that sucks. So, one big question - did you study? If the answer in no then I would try to make time to study full time for at least 3 weeks before reattempting. I think you could possibly retake before your interviews if this is the case. If the answer is yes you did study, I think you'll have to take more time off to really study and perhaps consider extending. I do think if you were to fail a second time that would be really bad. Not to be pessimistic! The one person I know who failed CK did have to extend. She is applying OB, we will see how it goes this year. My guess is that programs will be hesitant to interview you with a failing ck score without retaking. I'm really sorry :(

Second this.

I think I hit "Re transmit" on September 25, a few moments after I got my failing grade back, though according to ADTS, my USMLE transcript was last updated on September 15- the day I submitted my application. This is reassuring but is there a chance that hitting the Retransmit button doesn't update under ADTS? I'm not willing to find out in the case that my Step 2CK score hasn't yet been transmitted. Could someone here (who hasn't failed Step 2CK) check this for me? Hit Retransmit and let me know if the USMLE transcript updates under ADTS or if it stays at its previous time.

I think I hit "Re transmit" on September 25, a few moments after I got my failing grade back, though according to ADTS, my USMLE transcript was last updated on September 15- the day I submitted my application. This is reassuring but is there a chance that hitting the Retransmit button doesn't update under ADTS? I'm not willing to find out in the case that my Step 2CK score hasn't yet been transmitted. Could someone here (who hasn't failed Step 2CK) check this for me? Hit Retransmit and let me know if the USMLE transcript updates under ADTS or if it stays at its previous time.

Yes under ADTS the programs will re-download your usmle stuff and a new date will appear when ever they download it.

Dude why in the world would u hit retransmit shortly after finding out u failed? You deserve to have the programs know that is idiotic

bunk.gif

Dude why in the world would u hit retransmit shortly after finding out u failed? You deserve to have the programs know that is idiotic

Not the time to be an *******. Yes it was dumb to manually re-transmit a failing score to residency programs. However, what's done is done, focus on what can OP can change.

Important questions -

Did you study for Step 2? If not, start studying, take a NBME, do UWSA a week prior to the exam. If you're not getting above a 220 on the UWSA a week prior, then hold off.

The focus at this point should be to pass Step 2 CK on this very next attempt. There is no point of rushing to re-take the exam thinking about residency prospects and fail it a second time.

If you did study for Step 2 and still failed, ask yourself, why? Did you take practice tests? Did you go through ALL of Step 2 UWorld at least once? Did you read MTB 2 (or whatever review book you chose) once?

These are all questions you have to ask yourself. Tell us or keep it to yourself, it doesn't matter. You need to pass Step 2 on the very next attempt. If that causes you to take a gap year and do some research, then unfortunately so be it. I believe that there will be a number of programs in Peds that will still offer you a spot, especially if you can take CK quickly and have a passing score visible by october/november.

I mean it's prob safe to say if adts date is from 9/15 (on the bottom not the programs individually obviously) maybe the score didn't go through

This is totally unnecessary. Obviously she feels like **** already. No need to be mean.

I wasn't explicit in my post but I agree part of studying would definitely be taking a couple practice tests and seeing where you stand. Did you do any practice tests before taking it? I would also say don't retake until you have 2 test scores >210 and none <210, or at least one >225.

A big relief today as I understand it now that my scores did not actually retransmit and my USMLE update is still from September 15th when I submitted my application and contains just my Step 1 score. I also received 2 more interview invites today and feel strangely guilty about it.

Regarding my studying habits; I did not study as much as I felt I should have and got lulled into a false sense of security/complacency after several of my classmates and residents informed me that it was 'easier' than Step 1 (not the way I felt when I was taking it). My efforts were decidedly halfhearted the first time around and I did not take any of the NBME practice exams (finished all questions on UWORLD and was averaging 49%).
I do have my medicine sub-I next month and it is too late to change it but I think I can really really buckle down and devote a significant amount of time to studying once I get back home from a day of rotation (The day starts at 7 and ends at around 4-5 - so if I study to midnight, I can squeeze in 6 hours every day, not counting my off days during which I can squeeze in 12-15).

As for the content, I will definitely redo the UWORLD questions, re-read first aid for step 2 (perhaps a few times) and do NBMEs regularly to keep a gauge on my scores. I don't think I will have the time to do anything else.

Thanks again for all the advice - I truly appreciate the different angles everyone is offering me- and I don't mind bluntness (prefer it, actually) but please be sure that it stays constructive and helpful.

A big relief today as I understand it now that my scores did not actually retransmit and my USMLE update is still from September 15th when I submitted my application and contains just my Step 1 score. I also received 2 more interview invites today and feel strangely guilty about it.

Regarding my studying habits; I did not study as much as I felt I should have and got lulled into a false sense of security/complacency after several of my classmates and residents informed me that it was 'easier' than Step 1 (not the way I felt when I was taking it). My efforts were decidedly halfhearted the first time around and I did not take any of the NBME practice exams (finished all questions on UWORLD and was averaging 49%).
I do have my medicine sub-I next month and it is too late to change it but I think I can really really buckle down and devote a significant amount of time to studying once I get back home from a day of rotation (The day starts at 7 and ends at around 4-5 - so if I study to midnight, I can squeeze in 6 hours every day, not counting my off days during which I can squeeze in 12-15).

As for the content, I will definitely redo the UWORLD questions, re-read first aid for step 2 (perhaps a few times) and do NBMEs regularly to keep a gauge on my scores. I don't think I will have the time to do anything else.

Thanks again for all the advice - I truly appreciate the different angles everyone is offering me- and I don't mind bluntness (prefer it, actually) but please be sure that it stays constructive and helpful.

Hey, so that's good that you didn't submit. I wouldn't feel bad about the interviews! I would try to schedule them on the later side though so you can retake your exam and get your score back beforehand in case they ask you. It is my understanding after a quick search that most programs do not actually require you to submit step 2 scores before rank lists but that it can look bad if you haven't. You should probably meet with someone at your school from peds who knows and might be able to give you advice on how to swing this for your interviews and overall what to do. My advice is mainly speculation, someone who is involved in residency selection or has applied after failing would be best able to advise you for sure. I thought step 2 was hard as well, although people also tried to convince me it wasn't it definitely was. Your plan of sub I + board study is going to be brutal but I think it's doable. I would try to take at least a full week (preferably two +) post sub I to study full time before your exam to get your mind in boards mode. I think you would be well served to study from a general review book ( I used FA and found it very helpful but perhaps a new angle like master the boards would be good if you've already read FA and it didn't stick, whatever you think would be most helpful though). And going back over the whole qbank like you said. And make sure you are scoring high enough on practice tests to walk in there with confidence on your test day. I think there is a lot of luck involved on test day, good or bad, no matter how well we prepare. The universe has a way of making things work out the way they are supposed to. Don't lose hope. Much luck to you!

I agree with the above: maybe try a different source than FA this time. I used SUS2 and Secrets, but many people use MTB. I like SUS2 because it's thin, concise, easy to make notes in, and not published by Kaplan. Regardless of which source you use, I think reading through Secrets 1 or 2 times will help, and of course, UWorld is the most important source. Good luck!

I agree with the above: maybe try a different source than FA this time. I used SUS2 and Secrets, but many people use MTB. I like SUS2 because it's thin, concise, easy to make notes in, and not published by Kaplan. Regardless of which source you use, I think reading through Secrets 1 or 2 times will help, and of course, UWorld is the most important source. Good luck!

Yep if you can really memorize secrets I can guarantee you a passing score. That book has a lot of info in it and while it doesn't have enough to get a 260+ alone, there is enough info to get a 230+.

And as I quoted above, remember uworld is the highest yield source.

Will your failure be reflected in your MSPE? May be worth checking out since they don't go out until Oct 1, right?

If not, I agree with the poster that said it may be better not to transmit at all.

Good to hear you didn't re-transmit. At this point you have slightly more time. Focus on studying after your medicine sub-I is over, give yourself at least 4 weeks. 49% on UWorld is not high enough to be confident in passing. I used MTB 2 with a little bit of MTB3 sprinkled in, but find what works for you.

I would recommend scheduling interviews whenever you can get them free. If your new step 2 score isn't back, just say you haven't gotten the score back (without mentioning the failure). and that as soon as you get it back you will re-transmit. Might burn you with some programs but I think it's your best option at this point. Late interviews will allow you to possibly walk in with a step 2 score in hand.

I don't really see what the point in hurrying is at this point. You aren't going to get your score back in time at this point to likely have any effect on receiving interviews at this point, so you're really just taking it for programs to have it in hand when they are compiling their rank lists. No peds program is going to ask why you haven't taken Step 2 by November/December. Honestly, aside from the more competitive programs, I don't think it's that big of a red flag if you don't have it even by rank list time--any good you have from simply having a "pass" will almost certainly be no more than even with having to reveal that you have a first attempt fail as well :shrug:

FWIW, I think the NBMEs are kind of a time suck--I'd do one maybe when you're 2 weeks out to gauge where you are, but it's a whole day where you're not really learning or refreshing material. I do think UWorld is the highest yield resource, though it will be a little hard to gauge where you are since you'll be seeing all the questions for a second time, so if you use UWorld again as your primary resource do take one or two NBMEs just to make sure you're heading towards a passing score.