Need some advice (For Clinical Pharmacists)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

TheInformer

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi its me The Informer once again. I wanted to ask this in its own separate thread becuase I thought the first thread was too long and I didnt want to extend it. I am considering doing a residency but of course I have some doubts and concerns that I hope could be addressed by some of you helpful clinical pharmacists here.
In school they have thought us what clinical pharmacist is and what they do and their roles in hospitals. However I still have some lingering questions I hope I can ask.
1. For current clinical pharmacists, was one of the reasons you chose to do a residency to pursue a clinical position becuase you hated working in retail as a student?
2. On average, how much do clinical pharmacists make a year these days?
3. Do clinical pharmacists normally work on weekends?
4. When you were doing your residency, did you feel you had time on your days off to make some money working as a floater pharmacist for retail?
5. What other opportunties does having a residency offer you in the future that not having one (retail) will not offer?

Thanks again for all the help

THE.INFORMER.
 
1. For current clinical pharmacists, was one of the reasons you chose to do a residency to pursue a clinical position becuase you hated working in retail as a student?
2. On average, how much do clinical pharmacists make a year these days?
3. Do clinical pharmacists normally work on weekends?
4. When you were doing your residency, did you feel you had time on your days off to make some money working as a floater pharmacist for retail?
5. What other opportunties does having a residency offer you in the future that not having one (retail) will not offer?

Thanks again for all the help

THE.INFORMER.

I am not a 100% clinical pharmacist, but i am currently working in a hospital setting where i get to do both staffing and clinical activities. Below are the answers to your questions:

1. Not really. But i feel like i could learn/ultilize my skills more in a hospital setting, and nobody will ever come up and ask me this, "The toilet paper is out...why you don't replace it?"
2. Clinical pharmacists don't really make that much more than other pharmacist. I would say the difference would be somewhere around 5K-15K, depending on your level of experience, specialty, etc..
3. Yes, of course...unless u have been working for 20 yrs with tons of senority then probably not.
4. I did not do any residency.
5. Again, i did not do residency, but the way i see is...of course when it comes to job market, you'll look better with a residency. It shows that you've been exposed to clinical setting vs. some dude from retail who has minimal clinical experiences on the floor. People can drill you with questions on job intervews and of course they probably won't even take a look or invite you for an interview if you come from retail. Not trying to be mean, but this is reality.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thanks everyone again for your help. I am surprised to see so many people suggesting a residency will be better early in my career and I am heavily considering now. Muchos gracias~

The Informer
 
To be honest, I'm in the same position as well. In addition to residency, I also want to do a fellowship.

To chart it out, the interest level is 35% residency, 35% fellowship, 30% retail. And it fluctuates based on what I hear from friends, old professors, and the forum.

But to contribute to this topic, logically, I would think residency would be the best thing to do after graduation. Like what one of my old professors said, its very hard to go retail and take a big cut in salary if you decide to do clinical.
 
1. No- I only worked retail for 5wks as a pharmacy intern and I did not hate it, but I did not love it either
2. Equivalent to the amt of other pharmacists in general. Also, it seems in CA retail=hospital pay but in Nj where I went to school Retal>Hospital
3. I work a 7 on/7 off schedule by choice. Most other clinical pharmacists at my hospital work 4 on/3 off. I think this varies greatly depending on the facility.
4. No way! I spent every precious moment off playing. None of my coresidents worked on the side either.
5. I think in general the exposure to different clinical areas help to open up more career paths such as MSL, professor, clinical coordinator, etc.

Best of luck 🙂