Need some advice for my future

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hotsauce15

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I am a 23 year old African American male with a B.S in Biology. My motives were to become a Physical Therapist throughout my undergraduate career. However, my GPA is not up to par and currently I have a 2.89 GPA. I know it will take a few years to get my GPA up to be competitive for a PT program. However I feel like I am getting older and would like to start my career sooner than later. I have been looking at nursing programs in Georgia because I would like to keep an in-state tuition as I've already collected debt for undergraduate. I would just like some advice on some good careers that have programs that accept GPA's under a 3.0

Some career paths I've been thinking about have been
Physical Therapy
Occupational Therapy
Nursing
Chiropractor

Having under a 3.0 GPA but being a minority do you think there will be any programs lenient to accept me under those terms?

Thank you so much for your advice ahead of time.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello all,

I am a 23 year old African American male with a B.S in Biology. My motives were to become a Physical Therapist throughout my undergraduate career. However, my GPA is not up to par and currently I have a 2.89 GPA. I know it will take a few years to get my GPA up to be competitive for a PT program. However I feel like I am getting older and would like to start my career sooner than later. I have been looking at nursing programs in Georgia because I would like to keep an in-state tuition as I've already collected debt for undergraduate. I would just like some advice on some good careers that have programs that accept GPA's under a 3.0

Some career paths I've been thinking about have been
Physical Therapy
Occupational Therapy
Nursing
Chiropractor

Having under a 3.0 GPA but being a minority do you think there will be any programs lenient to accept me under those terms?

Thank you so much for your advice ahead of time.

Seems like the best first step is to nail down what you really want to do and what career path you really want to take and that's your decision to make. Some of the careers above that you listed are similar in some areas but a nurse does something very different from a chiropractor. They're both healthcare jobs but may require different levels of training.

As far as the GPA it depends on the academic program that you apply to. A lot of programs have a hard cut-off around 3.0-3.2 GPA but some look at your entire application. So you could look into a program that might interest you in your area and then see what their criteria is. Also, SDN can be a pretty good resource and there are probably other people with similar stats that are trying to get into the program you're interested in so it's helpful to get a feel of what your chances of being accepted are.

Seems like the best first step is to nail down what you really want to do and what career path you really want to take and that's your decision to make. Some of the careers above that you listed are similar in some areas but a nurse does something very different from a chiropractor. They're both healthcare jobs but may require different levels of training.

As far as the GPA it depends on the academic program that you apply to. A lot of programs have a hard cut-off around 3.0-3.2 GPA but some look at your entire application. So you could look into a program that might interest you in your area and then see what their criteria is. Also, SDN can be a pretty good resource and there are probably other people with similar stats that are trying to get into the program you're interested in so it's helpful to get a feel of what your chances of being accepted are.

Thank you I will continue to do my research on the website. PT is still number one on my list, I think I will just have to retake a few classes to beef up my application. However,I am still open to other career fields. I feel like I would just like to work around people and in a healthcare environment.

Members don't see this ad :)
Have you considered doing a Special Master's Program? These are usually geared towards people wanting to get into med school but I gotta think it would help with a DPT application too.

Have you considered doing a Special Master's Program? These are usually geared towards people wanting to get into med school but I gotta think it would help with a DPT application too.

I've actually done some research but saw that it was more suited for medical school. But I see what you mean it would definitely help me with my DPT application or other careers in allied health. Thank you for your advice.

I don't think an SMP is worth the financial and time sacrifice if you don't intend on applying vet, dent, or med.

When I looked at dpt programs for my little sister I saw many had a hard 3.0 cut-off for their prereqs. So a special masters program wouldn't help. Definitely figure out what your terminal career is... Then how to get into that. If you have to do something else in the mean time that's okay too.

As far as DPT school... Like someone else mentioned, check out each school's specific requirements. If you could benefit from grade replacement... Inquire about that as well.

I agree with Quecha. 23 is still young. Find what you like and pursue that vigorously. A GPA under 3.5 also needs further self-analysis in terms of why you haven't been able to keep up your GPA and what you can do differently in the future to solidify A's in your courses.

You have to take more undergrad courses. That is clear. You also need to look at your breakdown. What is your science GPA etc. Before you spend money on more courses you need to know that you will perform. What was the problem? Were you lazy? Lack of mentors? Family issues? etc. Be honest and figure that out. Also figure out your strengths and use them. Most importantly you need to find mentor that can guide you. No one can do it alone. Keep fighting because we're fighting for
You. Good luck.