Need some advice (For Retail Pharmacists)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

TheInformer

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi. I am The Informer. I am new here. I am currently a student in my last year of pharmacy school. I think this site is great and I wish I knew about this earlier in my career. In anycase, I wanted to ask all current retail pharmacist's for your advices. As I am in my last year of studies I am at that point in my life where I have to make a decision about whether I want to do a residency or go right out working in retail. I am so indecisive in my decision that it is killing me and I could really use some helpful advice. I feel that doing a residency would be helpful for me in the long run and I really like the flexibility and other opportunities having a residency will offer me in the future. On the other hand, unlike some of my other classmates who HATES retail, I actually dont mind it. I have worked for CVS for 5 years now and I enjoy my work but it seems like every retail pharmacists I meet (typically the recent grads in last 2-4 years) tells me that they cant see any of themselves doing this kind of work for much longer let alone for rest of their lives. So, if they leave retail, where else can these retail pharmacists with no clinical/hospital/residency experience branch off too (besides mail order or staff hospital)?
I apologize for the lengthy email so Ill get right to my questions I wanted to ask.
1. For current retail pharmacists, how long have you worked in retail and how much longer can you see yourself doing that line of work?
2. Any regrets on not having done a residency from the beginning?
 
Agreed. If you want to do the residency do it now or never (if money isn't that big of an issue). But if you see yourself just working retail don't waste the time or pay.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Do the residency! If after that, you are still pining for CVS apply to their clinical services division (most major chains have them); get retail money plus cognitive challenges. I think most chains use Mirixa software for DURs, try to get some practice on your rotations.
When I leave retail, in 2524 days (when kids are done with school) I will go back to the closed door prison pharmacy I loved (always stay in touch and leave on good terms with everybody, no matter what!).
Where else do retail pharmacists go? Closed door compounding, LTC consulting, up to management (or down to management, depending on your outlook), or to a nice quiet hospital.
 
Thanks everyone for your advices. Seems like overwhelming responses say go for the residency. I must say tho that its very hard to turn down a nice big offer but hopefully in the long run it will all be worth it and I will realize that money isnt everything..hopefully lol.

The Informer