Need Some advice guys

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrDoogie

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry for resposting, just wanted to get some advice from current med students...it's been a rough day. Took the step I today and a few blocks in, had a migraine attack. The exam itself was not a problem (was averaging in the 250s in NBMEs) but the symptoms became unbearable to the extent that I finished block 4 within 30 minutes just going through the last sentence and circling an answer. I simply could not finish the exam despite the painkillers and extended breaks I took. Part of me wanted to get through it and the other part just realized I was not able to. It was a difficult decision but my health is just a lot more important. The Prometric administrator shut my workstation down and gave me a number to call and mentioned she would document what happened.

I think I'm at a crossroads in general with what to do with my life at this point, a semester/year off etc...but in the meantime, does anyone have any experience on what to do with regards to Step I and the ramifications in general (shooting for a very competitive residency is one of my goals)? My eligibility period ends this month. I would ideally love to get it out of the way to be honest but I'm not sure if im physically or mentally up for the challenge.

Thanks guys

Members don't see this ad.

Not sure, ive been prophylaxing, might nee sumatriptan or something abortive to avert another disaster...really sucks, the test isnt the problem, but more my endurance...any other thoughts guys?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah im on it...has this sort of circumstance happened to anyone or their peers before...its a bummer because on my rotation and can't really focus unless I get the exam out of the way (I've emailed NBME and am waiting to pretty much sort of get some approval to reinstate my rescheduling ability at Prometric so I could take the exam this weekend)

Sorry for resposting, just wanted to get some advice from current med students...it's been a rough day. Took the step I today and a few blocks in, had a migraine attack. The exam itself was not a problem (was averaging in the 250s in NBMEs) but the symptoms became unbearable to the extent that I finished block 4 within 30 minutes just going through the last sentence and circling an answer. I simply could not finish the exam despite the painkillers and extended breaks I took. Part of me wanted to get through it and the other part just realized I was not able to. It was a difficult decision but my health is just a lot more important. The Prometric administrator shut my workstation down and gave me a number to call and mentioned she would document what happened.

I think I'm at a crossroads in general with what to do with my life at this point, a semester/year off etc...but in the meantime, does anyone have any experience on what to do with regards to Step I and the ramifications in general (shooting for a very competitive residency is one of my goals)? My eligibility period ends this month. I would ideally love to get it out of the way to be honest but I'm not sure if im physically or mentally up for the challenge.

Thanks guys

Did they void your test? If not, there is nothing you can do now, just prepare for the next time. I'm sorry this happened to you. Good luck, and I'm sending a ton of hugs your way :luck:

I'm not sure if there is a void policy but if it is reported, I am hoping it would just be "step I incomplete" as an attempt vs. appearing as a fail...I think my dean would explain the incomplete + prometric and NBME would have documentation of the incident...not sure how that looks in the limelight of applying for a super competitive residency

Yeah im on it...has this sort of circumstance happened to anyone or their peers before...its a bummer because on my rotation and can't really focus unless I get the exam out of the way (I've emailed NBME and am waiting to pretty much sort of get some approval to reinstate my rescheduling ability at Prometric so I could take the exam this weekend)

Imitrex is for treatment not prophylaxis.

I think it will hurt for a competitive specialty.

Why do you say that? Cant a good step 1 score plus everything being normal be ok?

You did the right thing.

No it won't hurt you for competitive residencies, but you will be asked about it I'm sure.

IF a program decides not to rank you because you had a migraine during your first step 1 attempt and busted out a 250 a few days later, then it's probably a malignant program run by *******s you would be miserable working with anyhow.

Hope you feel better for the next time!

I should here back soon about the decision (got receipt of my notice this past thursday night), I am hoping I can get immediate permission to reschedule on prometric...took nbme12 today and scored in the low 240s so fortunately still in align with my nbme averages +/2 despite zero studying in 10 days + being on rotations....

If i hear back tomorrow, should I take it asap? it definitely feels weird taking it esp not having studied in over 15 days (which will most likely be the case)

I guess my dilemma is when I do hear back. (Hopefully this week)....when should I take it....if I take it this weekend, that would be without two weeks of having touched first aid...second option is finish this rotation (end at the end of this month....I would then actually have two weeks of intersession giving me some time to study FA in the evenings...what would you recommend?

....not sure why a migraine during Step 1 has you contemplating taking a year off. Seems a bit extreme.

You also appear to be blaming this problem for trouble on your current rotation and for unclear reasons not doing any studying when you have a good chance of retaking the exam soon. Perhaps you need to reassess how you are doing overall.

Simple answer, you need to get your migraines under control --> i.e. see your doctor. Then go take the exam again, with some extra studying beforehand.

You started rotations without taking step? Terrible idea. That step knowledge leaks out so fast.

You started rotations without taking step? Terrible idea. That step knowledge leaks out so fast.

You would be surprised.

When I was studying for step 2 I accidentally started taking a uworld step 1 self assessment. I did 15 questions before I figured out I was on the wrong test....my percent on those 15 questions was wayyyy higher than I ever got when studying for step 1.

Solid clinical knowledge honestly gave away a lot of step 1 type questions. Obviously you will loose some of the knowledge but it isn't necessarily replaced with completely untested material.

You would be surprised.

When I was studying for step 2 I accidentally started taking a uworld step 1 self assessment. I did 15 questions before I figured out I was on the wrong test....my percent on those 15 questions was wayyyy higher than I ever got when studying for step 1.

Solid clinical knowledge honestly gave away a lot of step 1 type questions. Obviously you will loose some of the knowledge but it isn't necessarily replaced with completely untested material.

That's because you'd taken a whole years worth of shelfs and put it together into a cohesive whole. First rotation, you're not gaining much knowledge since you're trying to figure out the hospital, your expectations, writing a good H+P, all that crap that's not useful on step 1.