How do you guys feel about the piracy issues with bnb, sketchy, etc?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Stop moving the goalposts and being purposely obtuse lol there's a difference between directly stealing someone's property and stealing intellectual property on the internet
Honestly the only difference I see is the likelihood of getting caught. Both situations are stealing.

Do you feel like the high price justifies it?
No. And even if it were cheaper people would still do it. In fact the fact that so many people do this leads to the price being high so that he can make decent money from the people who try to do right in the world.

Is it amoral no matter what?
Depending on who you are it is either amoral or immoral, but its never moral, so in short, yes.
Do you think if they lowered the price but went after shared accounts that would be more fair?
No. It would not result in a significant higher number of people paying. The people who steal it either think its fine (amoral) or know its wrong and just don't care (immoral). Even if it were $20 a year the same people would steal it. It would be cheaper for the honest individuals, but then it would not be worth it for Dr. Ryan to even make it in the first place. Honestly he probably set his prices assuming that roughly 10% of students would actually pay for it, thus the thieves make it more expensive for honest individuals.
What's your take on the issue.
Thats my take and my final post on the matter. Don't listen to these amoral and immoral individuals.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
What if they steal your NFTs or dogecoin?
Idk about the nfts, but dogecoin isn't an accurate comparison. That's a form of currency vs information. I would liken stealing that to using the internet to clear out someones bank account. I would liken using bootlegged bnb or sketchy vids to downloading a movie or something.

I wonder how many people get access to these resources and then go to do the right thing and buy it but see the price and decide not to. If a student isn't getting financial support from their family I could see the price swaying them to not buying it.

Moderator note:
Multiple posts in this thread have been edited or removed as they contained personal attacks, quoted the offending post, and/or were a direct response to them. Personal attacks are never appropriate on these forums. Reasonable people can disagree on matters of substance, and it is possible to disagree without being disagreeable. Thank you for your understanding.

To help cool down this thread, please enjoy this picture:

1674225442718.png

Reactions: 5 users
No. It would not result in a significant higher number of people paying. The people who steal it either think its fine (amoral) or know its wrong and just don't care (immoral). Even if it were $20 a year the same people would steal it.
I think this is being a bit obtuse. Clearly $20 a year would result in far greater people subscribing. Same goes for $100. There are monetary values where it incentivizes marginalized students to just pay the price rather than spend hours of their precious time tracking down pirated versions, but there is a breaking point where it becomes more feasible for them to spend their time instead of their money (that they donā€™t have). Although I get the argument for setting the price extraordinarily high to account for piracy, it was clearly not a sustainable long-term business strategy.

Iā€™m not advocating for or against those actions, just commenting on the matter.

If your medical school had a way to tell whether you paid for or pirated the material, would you still pirate it? If potential residency programs could tell if you paid for or pirated the material, would you still pirate it?

If your medical school had a way to tell whether you paid for or pirated the material, would you still pirate it? If potential residency programs could tell if you paid for or pirated the material, would you still pirate it?
That doesn't really address this argument.

Would people do it? No, because anything that can be taken as a ding on applications people are going to avoid in this hyper-competitive environment. People also are afraid of doing legal things for this very reason, like posting pics of them drinking or partying hard on a public social media profile.

Moderator note:
Multiple posts in this thread have been edited or removed as they contained personal attacks, quoted the offending post, and/or were a direct response to them. Personal attacks are never appropriate on these forums. Reasonable people can disagree on matters of substance, and it is possible to disagree without being disagreeable. Thank you for your understanding.

View attachment 364953

Kids nowadays donā€™t drink straight from hosesā€¦
Back in my dayā€¦ Yada yada yada šŸ˜

Reactions: 3 users
This is giving me gods always watching vibes.

The law protects copyright. And most people will come out condemning people who pirate. However, when it comes to YOU being able to watch or read something for free, ALMOST everyone of us will do so. Therefore, it's really up to the content creator to patrol and protect their own rights. If they see fit, they can always bring a lawsuit against an offender. It really isn't a moral issue rather than a legal and economic tug of war.

My parents didn't pay for college, much less medical school. I worked and got scholarships and saved, etc. And now for medical school I'm borrowing A LOT of money (like most of us).

I still think companies should be compensated for creating their products. Physicians shouldn't have to work for for free, neither should the guys at Sketchy etc. I've found a way to pay for stuff with my loan money.

Now, do I blame people who are really struggling financially from using pirated videos? Nah, nobody is perfect. Now my classmate who drives a Tesla getting them for free- that's screwed up IMHO :)
I agree with this. If you have family that will give you money if you need it and you're not at a real risk of going broke just buy it.

I agree with this. If you have family that will give you money if you need it and you're not at a real risk of going broke just buy it.
This is nonsense. So if you have the money then you are morally compelled to buy it, but if you don't its perfectly fine to steal it?

Members don't see this ad :)
This is nonsense. So if you have the money then you are morally compelled to buy it, but if you don't its perfectly fine to steal it?
Hopefully, through time, you will see the world isnā€™t as black or white, even though morals can be.

Hopefully, through time, you will see the world isnā€™t as black or white, even though morals can be.
Thatā€™ll never happen. This steal from the rich and give to the poor leftist ideology is nonsense. And honestly it stems from jealousy.

Do you feel like the high price justifies it? Is it amoral no matter what? Do you think if they lowered the price but went after shared accounts that would be more fair? What's your take on the issue.
If a study resource is important, i will pay for it even if it is expensive. I donā€™t trust the quality of pirated versions, and the creators of the study resources should be compensated for their work

Reactions: 3 users
Stop moving the goalposts and being purposely obtuse lol there's a difference between directly stealing someone's property and stealing intellectual property on the internet
Stealing intellectual property is terrible and i donā€™t know why people are defending this. Thereā€™s a good reason why patent and copyright laws exist

Seriously, if you find a resource to be useful, you should pay for it.

Reactions: 1 users
Stealing intellectual property is terrible and i donā€™t know why people are defending this. Thereā€™s a good reason why patent and copyright laws exist

Seriously, if you find a resource to be useful, you should pay for it.

You ever drive faster than the speed limit? That's a crime that could actually kill someone.

Like that guy said earlier, some things are just simply not worth crying over

• Dislike
Thatā€™ll never happen. This steal from the rich and give to the poor leftist ideology is nonsense. And honestly it stems from jealousy.
My myopic worldview is hilarious. The presumption I am a leftist, even more!

For your information, the Republicans under Hank Paulson have nationalized two of the largest housing institutions after injecting billions, and given more than 300 billion to banks via TARP, that is middle class money that could have been injected into retirement plans.

A person like you cannot begin to understand the muddy waters of politics, the sharks love self-righteous meals in that part of the world.

You ever drive faster than the speed limit? That's a crime that could actually kill someone.

Like that guy said earlier, some things are just simply not worth crying over
Pirating is an intentional act. Exceeding the speed limit isnā€™t always intentional.

Like i get it, people canā€™t afford resources. But if weā€™re willing to take on huge debt for med school, much of which is wasted on the greedy admins, taking on additional expense for actually good study resources is worth it. Not just for ethical/moral reasons, but for accuracy reasons too

Pirating is an intentional act. Exceeding the speed limit isnā€™t always intentional.

Like i get it, people canā€™t afford resources. But if weā€™re willing to take on huge debt for med school, much of which is wasted on the greedy admins, taking on additional expense for actually good study resources is worth it. Not just for ethical/moral reasons, but for accuracy reasons too

How is exceeding the speed limit not intentional? The driver is the only one controlling the acceleration of the vehicle lol

How is exceeding the speed limit not intentional? The driver is the only one controlling the acceleration of the vehicle lol
Whenever I have sped its usually not a situation where I say to myself "I know the speed limit but I just don't care I'm going to surpass it" but rather I just happen to notice I am going faster than I should be and was not aware of it. I think this is how it is with most people. Whereas one doesn't just get carried away and mindlessly access pirated content. They were looking for it and knew it is something they are supposed to pay for but just don't care.

Whenever I have sped its usually not a situation where I say to myself "I know the speed limit but I just don't care I'm going to surpass it" but rather I just happen to notice I am going faster than I should be and was not aware of it. I think this is how it is with most people. Whereas one doesn't just get carried away and mindlessly access pirated content. They were looking for it and knew it is something they are supposed to pay for but just don't care.

If the 'intent' of the act is what makes an act immoral, there are plenty of ways one could spin pirating medical educational content as to doing it with good intentions. What if I did it to equalize the playing field between rich medical students and poor ones? What if I used that money that I saved to donate to a charity? When you say the intention of an act is what determines whether its right or wrong, then the only person who can cast honest judgement on the whether an act is immoral or not is the person committing the act, because only they know the intent behind it.

Also, stop appealing to the law for right and wrong. There have been and are still plenty of laws in this country that are morally wrong

Moderator note:

View attachment 364953

Is this a dog going to medical school and drinking from the firehose????

Seeing something as not just black/white wonā€™t happen or just this specifically? Once you are out of medschool then pretty much everything in medicine becomes a part of the greyscale.
If a study resource is important, i will pay for it even if it is expensive. I donā€™t trust the quality of pirated versions, and the creators of the study resources should be compensated for their work
Yep. I chose to pay for sketchy and had a really nice UI and updated notes on the sketches. I also simultaneously watched my peers struggle through glitchy videos that were certainly not updated in comparison. I did not hold that against them that I paid and they didnā€™t.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
yarrrr we're sailing the seven seas (Piracy good)

• Haha
Do you feel like the high price justifies it? Is it amoral no matter what? Do you think if they lowered the price but went after shared accounts that would be more fair? What's your take on the issue.
it is immoral, but in our society, does anyone really care about morality anymore?

Stealing - i.e., pirating and creating a narrative in your mind that makes you feel better about it, is an example of ethical fading. Pirating is not justified because something is high cost, or a company is making millions, or it is intellectual property and not a physical asset.

I don't think it's contradictory. I think you can create a product and the way you distribute it you can put whatever security mechanisms you want. However, once the product is purchased, it becomes The property of the owner to do with it as they see fit. If your product is such that it can be replicated, that is your own bad luck. I wouldn't say that I'm stealing if I make a photocopy of a page from a book in the library. In fact, most libraries have copy machines. If I obtain a copy from someone, that's my own private transaction with that person and not your business. Do you understand now?

By that logic, cooking and selling meth is ok. Because if I buy all the ingredients, which are all commercially available, then I should be able to do whatever I want with them and sell the final product.

By that logic, cooking and selling meth is ok. Because if I buy all the ingredients, which are all commercially available, then I should be able to do whatever I want with them and sell the final product.
Your argument is somewhat flawed as you're talking about transforming them into something illegal and harmful, but yes, if you want to make meth, i don't care

Your argument is somewhat flawed as you're talking about transforming them into something illegal and harmful, but yes, if you want to make meth, i don't care

It seems to me like you fundamentally believe that individuals should be allowed to do what they want as long as they arenā€™t directly harming someone else. But I think thatā€™s a very limited world view. The world is becoming increasingly interconnected, and so itā€™s very important to consider the ramifications that individual actions have on society as a whole.

It seems to me like you fundamentally believe that individuals should be allowed to do what they want as long as they arenā€™t directly harming someone else. But I think thatā€™s a very limited world view. The world is becoming increasingly interconnected, and so itā€™s very important to consider the ramifications that individual actions have on society as a whole.
I agree, except that i don't think the government should decide that. Culture and knowledge should steer people away from self harm behavior

I agree, except that i don't think the government should decide that. Culture and knowledge should steer people away from self harm behavior
A lot of nurses, physicians, even respiratory therapists know that smoking is bad. The US and healthcare culture is not conducive to smoking. But they do anyway.

My PCP (bless him) sees diabetes every day. He knows the social sigma against being fat. He tells people to eat better, sleep well, exercise. But just by looking at him, his BMI is still almost 30.

The world should run a lot of ways. Students should have the resources to buy these things. Students should be given loan money that adjusts to inflation and realistic housing prices. Admin shouldn't shoulder us with $60k tuition because it doesn't even make a dent in their bottom line.

"If shoulds and musts were candy and nuts, we'd all have a merry christmas."

Is it less immoral to pirate study material than a movie?

Study material piracy isn't for one's enjoyment, generally speaking. On the other hand, a movie is definitely pirated for the entertainment value it offers.