Need some advice/insight

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

singed

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Originally had planned on finishing up the pre-reqs during this school year, taking my physics rounds through the year but obviously with my luck if something can go wrong it will. Long story short, I wasn't able to get into the classes I needed. So I have been delayed in finishing up. It doesn't look like I can take physics I this coming spring semester, so instead of doing nothing, would it be beneficial to take a biochemistry course? I just looked at the local university schedule and its available w/lab. Also, do you guys think I should give up trying to take physics during the school year and just bust out both phys I and II during the summer session, then take MCAT in the fall? Or should I wait and attempt to get into physics next fall semester? How do schools look at community college credits? I haven't looked into that route yet, but it might have to happen. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Originally had planned on finishing up the pre-reqs during this school year, taking my physics rounds through the year but obviously with my luck if something can go wrong it will. Long story short, I wasn't able to get into the classes I needed. So I have been delayed in finishing up. It doesn't look like I can take physics I this coming spring semester, so instead of doing nothing, 1. would it be beneficial to take a biochemistry course? I just looked at the local university schedule and its available w/lab. 2. Also, do you guys think I should give up trying to take physics during the school year and just bust out both phys I and II during the summer session, 3. then take MCAT in the fall? 4. Or should I wait and attempt to get into physics next fall semester? 5. How do schools look at community college credits? I haven't looked into that route yet, but it might have to happen. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks

1. It won't hurt if you ace it.

2. Unless you're really good at math and the kind of thinking Physics requires, I would not recommend this

3.The MCAT requires preparation. Will you be fully prepared for it by then?

4. That might be a better idea than what you have planned.

5. Community college credit is sort of a disputed topic in these parts, but the general consensus seems to be take to take them if it is unavoidable, Look up "Community College" with the search function and you will get a wide breadth of opinions on the forum...

Thanks for the reply. I am nervous about biochem, (Ive heard its harder than ochem) but if its the only class Im taking I should be able to donate most of my time to it. Im just not too sure exactly what it entails yet, Ill have to read up on the course description.

I'm no mathematician, but math usually comes pretty easily to me. What kind of thinking does it require? "out of the box" type, hypotheticals? I took ochem I and II plus labs over the summer, it wasn't fun but I got it done. How would it compare to that volume of material?

Yeah I have seen that cc credits are probably one of the most debated topics on here, but wasn't sure if one class there would horrible or not, in regards to my app.

I think you may be right, itll be a tight squeeze during the summer session to MCAT time frame, and probably wont be fully prepared for it if I do that route. Guess I gotta go back to the drawing board to work out a feasible game plan.

Members don't see this ad :)
The main glitch I see is that you want to have sufficient time to study for the MCAT and if your physics class extends through August (not sure exactly what your school schedule is) you would be squeezed for study time since the latest MCAT is mid-September. It might be best to wait until fall to take physics and aim for a spring MCAT after you've finished physics 1 and 2.

The main glitch I see is that you want to have sufficient time to study for the MCAT and if your physics class extends through August (not sure exactly what your school schedule is) you would be squeezed for study time since the latest MCAT is mid-September. It might be best to wait until fall to take physics and aim for a spring MCAT after you've finished physics 1 and 2.

smart advice. i concur with this poster.

Why couldn't you get into the physics class? If the class filled up too quickly, keep checking the signup page and wait until someone drops out. Spots usually open up a day or two before class starts. If that doesn't work, talk to the professor the day after the first class and see if there's going to be room.

If you couldn't take physics because of a scheduling conflict, it might be possible to take two classes simultaneously. I did that with physics II and biology II, going to every other lecture and rescheduling some of the tests when I had them on the same day. If you think one of the classes will be reasonably easy, this could work. It will take at least one professor to approve it, though.

If you couldn't take physics because of a scheduling conflict, it might be possible to take two classes simultaneously. I did that with physics II and biology II, going to every other lecture and rescheduling some of the tests when I had them on the same day. If you think one of the classes will be reasonably easy, this could work. It will take at least one professor to approve it, though.

I remember reading this before when you posted that you were going to attempt it. Just so you know, that is balls to the wall. And you are a stud. For sure. Don't let anyone ever tell you differently.

Thread on

I think you should take the biochemistry course. My biochemistry course was the most beneficial course I took as far as increasing my MCAT score. It just took lots of information and really integrated it extremely well and made a lot of other things "click" for me.

I think you should take the biochemistry course. My biochemistry course was the most beneficial course I took as far as increasing my MCAT score. It just took lots of information and really integrated it extremely well and made a lot of other things "click" for me.

Just to take it a bit off topic for one second, would it be advisable to Organic Chemistry II and Biochemistry in the same semester, assuming this could be approved by the department? If it's that helpful on the MCAT, I'd like to squeeze it into a Spring Semester and use the summer for MCAT prep in accordance with SN2ed's guide.

Just to take it a bit off topic for one second, would it be advisable to Organic Chemistry II and Biochemistry in the same semester, assuming this could be approved by the department? If it's that helpful on the MCAT, I'd like to squeeze it into a Spring Semester and use the summer for MCAT prep in accordance with SN2ed's guide.

Those two alone should be easy. What else are you taking that semester? Or is it an accelerated semester?

I would definitely take it. Biochem helps with the MCAT and adcoms like to see it, assuming you do well, it's a good thing to have on your transcript

When I was in med school biochem was the make or break course for just about every med student. If you can take it or at least audit it for the exposure it will only help you since they cover all of undergrad biochem in about 2 weeks. It's fast and if the material is new, can really be a killer.

Last edited:
Those two alone should be easy. What else are you taking that semester? Or is it an accelerated semester?

It's a regular semester. I'm shooting for MD/PHD biophysics programs, so I was originally going to take:

OChem II
Phys III
Calc III
Genetics

With Biochem being taken in a following semester after the MCAT (I'm doing post-bac 2 1/2 years). But if Biochem is that helpful to MCAT, perhaps I'll do

OChem II
Biochem
Genetics (hear this is helpful as well)

and see if I can overlap some phys courses the following year.

I remember reading this before when you posted that you were going to attempt it. Just so you know, that is balls to the wall. And you are a stud. For sure. Don't let anyone ever tell you differently.

Thread on

Taking two classes simultaneously worked out very well. Of course, the alternative was packing up and moving to a different city, so I was highly motivated. I went to biology lecture every monday and friday, and physics every wednesday. I had to reschedule a few tests when they conflicted. Both professors were good about posting assignments online, so I always knew what was due. Physics lectures were pretty low-yield, so I was happy to miss them. I figured it would be good practice for med school, where most students don't go to all the lectures. As long as one of the classes is reasonably easy and you can get approval from the professors, I would recommend this to anyone.

I agree, I think it'll be too tight to sufficiently study. Maybe do the summer class, and take the MCAT in the spring.

Why couldn't you get into the physics class? If the class filled up too quickly, keep checking the signup page and wait until someone drops out. Spots usually open up a day or two before class starts. If that doesn't work, talk to the professor the day after the first class and see if there's going to be room.

Couldn't get in because I kind of waited till the last minute to sign up. I used the online scheduling and said I couldn't sign up, and I assumed I just had to wait longer because I was continuing ed, but turns out I couldn't sign up for day classes anyway without a permission number. Then the professor never returned my email for a permission number after he said he would give it to me. Unfortunately, they don't offer general physics I in the spring so Im kinda sol for now.

I would definitely take it. Biochem helps with the MCAT and adcoms like to see it, assuming you do well, it's a good thing to have on your transcript

I should do alright in it, it will be the only class I am taking. I think I might do it but I looked up the syllabus that the teacher uses, and looks kinda stupid, she doesn't treat it like a "regular" class, (ie. no "tests" but weekly quizzes, and you keep a "journal" of notes and assignments that gets checked once a week... Im not in elementary school anymore) not sure how I'd fare in this type of teaching she does. I am going to email her for a sample syllabus because the one I saw was from 2008, and not sure if shes changed style or not.

I think i'mm just going to take physics I at the local community college this spring, then take physics II over the summer. Possible to take MCAT with only physics I under my belt?

I think i'mm just going to take physics I at the local community college this spring, then take physics II over the summer. Possible to take MCAT with only physics I under my belt?

The first half of Physics II is on the MCAT. You will need to have a thorough understanding of electrical circuits, magnetism, optics and a bunch of other stuff that I've already forgotten. It's difficult material too. I love playing with electricity, but even after taking the class and getting an A I don't think I ever truly understood some of the electrical theory. If you don't take the class before the MCAT, be prepared to spend a lot of time learning physics independently, by which I mean as much time as you would spend in the actual class. The second half of Physics II is quantum mechanics, and that isn't really covered.

The first half of Physics II is on the MCAT. You will need to have a thorough understanding of electrical circuits, magnetism, optics and a bunch of other stuff that I've already forgotten. It's difficult material too. I love playing with electricity, but even after taking the class and getting an A I don't think I ever truly understood some of the electrical theory. If you don't take the class before the MCAT, be prepared to spend a lot of time learning physics independently, by which I mean as much time as you would spend in the actual class. The second half of Physics II is quantum mechanics, and that isn't really covered.

Thanks for the reply. I was under the impression that only phys1 was covered on MCAT. Hmmm, its looking more and more like im slated for mcat january 2014. :mad: I really wanted/needed to take it this year. If thats the case ill prob just wait and take both phys over the summer at the uni, then have study time sept-early jan for mcat. Oh well, atleast it should give me more time to get some more extra curriculars in.