Need some advice on getting into med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MikeB14

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone i am just finishing up my sophomore year of undergrad and getting into med school is the only thing on my mind. But i definitely didnt start off as strong as i would have liked. i slacked a little. Here is what i am at so far.

Bio 1 and lab - C+
Bio 2 and lab - B-
Genetics and lab - B+
Gen Chem 1 and lab - B+/A-
Gen Chem 2 and lab - B+/B+
Orgo 1 and lab - B/B
Orgo 2 and lab - A/A (stepping up my game lol)
Calc 1 - A-
Physics 1 and lab - (B,B+)
Physics 2 and lab - (taking it over the summer...going to try my hardest for A in lab and lecture)

Now for the rest of my two years im planning on taking classes such as
Neurobiology
Biochem
Molecular Bio
Physiology
and a few others

I am planning on doing very in all of these...i want my last two years to be end strongly. Do you think these classes are a good idea?

I am also an emt on the side so i do volunteer work.

How do you think those not so great grades such as in Gen Bio 1 and 2 will affect my chances and what can i do to have a better shot at getting in when im done with my undergrad. Am i in bad shape as of now?

Thanks for the advice.

Members don't see this ad.

Don't worry. Do well on MCAT's and just show steady improvement in grades. You'll be fine.

None of the listed grades are terrible. You even redeemed the C+ in Bio with a higher grade in the second course of the series. Your goal is to pull up your BCPM GPA by getting enough As in upper-level courses to compensate. Your BCPM needs to be competitive by the time you apply (aim for 3.5). The planned classes you listed are fine. Every B you get in science from here on sets back your BCPM repair, so aim for straight As. Every C you get needs three similiar-credit As to recover it.

Members don't see this ad :)
How do you think those not so great grades such as in Gen Bio 1 and 2 will affect my chances and what can i do to have a better shot at getting in when im done with my undergrad. Am i in bad shape as of now?

Yes you are in very bad shape. Only one A in the prereqs is going to look very bad, and it makes your science GPA extremely hard to pull up.

You say that medical school is the only thing on your mind, if it was the only thing on your mind when you were getting straight B's or worse in Chem/Bio/Physics I suggest you look for alternative careers, it is not going to get any easier.

That being said, you haven't done that much to hurt yourself, you are only two years into it. If you can buckle down and get straight As for five or six more semesters (four probably won't cut it), you can probably show med schools that you were just messing up your first few semesters, but are serious now. But I really mean that, if you ever (EVER) land another B, you should probably write off med school, you're wasting your time.

Hey everyone i am just finishing up my sophomore year of undergrad and getting into med school is the only thing on my mind. But i definitely didnt start off as strong as i would have liked. i slacked a little. Here is what i am at so far.

Bio 1 and lab - C+
Bio 2 and lab - B-
Genetics and lab - B+
Orgo 1 and lab - B/B
Calc 1 - A-
Stats - A-
Physics 2 and lab - (taking it over the summer...going to try my hardest for A in lab and lecture)

Neurobiology
Biochem
Molecular Bio
Physiology
and a few others

I am planning on doing very in all of these...i want my last two years to be end strongly. Do you think these classes are a good idea?

Also, do you it would be a good idea to take some easy science/math classes (like nutrition lets say) for an easy a to bring up the BCPM gpa? becuase i have extra room in my schedule and need electives.

Thanks for the advice.

I have two F's on my transcript from dropping out of college my first semester and a few C's in my earliest years upon returning as a history major. Upon switching over to chemistry, I have had A's for the past three years and got into a medical school this year, am waitlisted at another, and received 6 other interviews that I did not attend for personal reasons. I think if you are determined and show a strong upward trend, you will do fine. If they can forgive my 2 F's and multiple C's, the one C is not going to kill you. Good luck :)

I agree with Ylide. You're already showing somewhat of an upward trend. If you keep the momentum going (as many A's as possible, of course) and get a solid MCAT + LORs, you shouldn't have any problems getting into a school. Also, so long as it doesn't interfere with your school work, continue with the EMT work and volunteering.

Use the AMCAS GPA spreadsheet (floating around sdn or use google to find it) and figure out your exact cGPA and BPCM GPA. Unfortunately, guessing from your grades below, your BPCM GPA is somewhere around a 3.25 or so. The average of students accepted to medical school is around a 3.5 BPCM (3.7 cGPA). Definitely take more science classes to boost this. More importantly though, take sciences class you can gets As in.

Of the classes you mentioned below, I would take physiology (which will help you with the MCAT) and biochem (which is required by quite a few schools). You are still a sophomore so you have a time on your side to boost your GPA next year, but you are not starting from an ideal position (bad shape, yes; horrible shape, no). If you do well in upper level courses (i.e. get As), I think the lower bio I and II scores will be overlooked. Good luck.

Bio 1 and lab - C+
Bio 2 and lab - B-
Genetics and lab - B+
Orgo 1 and lab - B/B
Calc 1 - A-
Stats - A-

Neurobiology
Biochem
Molecular Bio
Physiology
and a few others

Also, do you it would be a good idea to take some easy science/math classes (like nutrition lets say) for an easy a to bring up the BCPM gpa? becuase i have extra room in my schedule and need electives.

Thanks for the advice.

Last edited:
I think you'll be fine if you take several BCPM classes to raise that GPA. My GPA started on the low side but it ultimately ended fine (not great though).

You may want to consider applying to DO schools as well since they will replace the grade for any classes that are retaken.