Need some advice on how to approach my application cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Anon131313

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, Here are my stats:
GPA: 4.0 (non-prestigious state school)
MCAT: 525 (100th percentile)

Volunteering: 90 hours ongoing at local hospital 35 hours ongoing at free healthcare clinic

Research: 1200+ hours Undergraduate thesis in molecular biology. Actually convinced my PI to let me do my project rather than taking what he gives to other students in the program.

Shadowing: I'm currently set to shadow to my old oncologist/nephrologist of the last 20 years. Hoping to get 8-12 hours before applying.

I'm a decent writer and my personal statement is not a problem.

Here's where I need your help. I know I have the GPA and MCAT to get into a great northeastern school, however, is my complete lack of leadership and no participation in premed clubs going to hurt me? My target school is Harvard because of some of the research that is going on there.

Would it be worth it to send out my primary by August 7 and see where I land, or should I take a gap year and hammer out more volunteering/shadowing hours and actually get my first job (no undergraduate debt though). Does it hurt me to apply anyways and would I need new letters of recommendation next year? I am in a guaranteed admission program to a medical school that ranks at ~110 overall and would lose membership in that program.
Thank you for your time!

Members don't see this ad.

It would be hard to let go of a guaranteed acceptance but I can tell you probably will get multiple top 20 offers if you decide to apply.

It would be hard to let go of a guaranteed acceptance but I can tell you probably will get multiple top 20 offers if you decide to apply.
thanks! I'm just trying to see as many different point of views as I can on this issue. All the old doctors and professors I ask assume I'd be guaranteed based on the scores alone but reading through these forums paints a much different picture.