Need some advice on rotations selection

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chriskahn

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got placed in a geographic location that has limited options for APPE. I have community, acute, institutional and 1 elective (transition of care) at the same hospital. I have ambulatory at another location, and my second elective at a local retail chain (Fred Meyer). We are required to do 2 electives.

The only reason that I chose a community rotation at the hospital is because the only other available community site is at Wags and it happens to land on a block that starts on Christmas day. Wags is the only retail pharmacy that opens Christmas day in that area so my first day at the rotation would be Christmas morning. My wife is not too happy about me missing Christmas since we have a big family and we have to go to like 4 different houses. She doesn't want to go alone.

Should I just bite the bullet and go with Wags just to gain more retail experience? Or should I skip out on Wags and just stay at the hospital even though I'm going to be there 4 out of 6 rotations? Ive only done IPPE at Fred Meyer and interned at a compounding pharmacy so far. My retail experience is pretty short. Plus it would be nice to potentially have job offers from 2 different retail places since I know that the hospital does not give job offers since working there require a residency. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I got placed in a geographic location that has limited options for APPE. I have community, acute, institutional and 1 elective (transition of care) at the same hospital. I have ambulatory at another location, and my second elective at a local retail chain (Fred Meyer). We are required to do 2 electives.

The only reason that I chose a community rotation at the hospital is because the only other available community site is at Wags and it happens to land on a block that starts on Christmas day. Wags is the only retail pharmacy that opens Christmas day in that area so my first day at the rotation would be Christmas morning. My wife is not too happy about me missing Christmas since we have a big family and we have to go to like 4 different houses. She doesn't want to go alone.

Should I just bite the bullet and go with Wags just to gain more retail experience? Or should I skip out on Wags and just stay at the hospital even though I'm going to be there 4 out of 6 rotations? Ive only done IPPE at Fred Meyer and interned at a compounding pharmacy so far. My retail experience is pretty short. Plus it would be nice to potentially have job offers from 2 different retail places since I know that the hospital does not give job offers since working there require a residency. Thanks.
In my school, we are excused from holidays during rotations. With that said, if you plan going retail after school, then you better get that retail experience.

I'm sure your preceptor would understand not starting on Christmas Day. Hell, your preceptor probably won't even be the pharmacist on duty that day.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Check your University handbook and relevant state education laws...you are still a student, and may have protections from having to participate in school activities on a religious holiday if you give proper notice.

This all goes away when you graduate, but enjoy it if you can for one last year.

And shame on your experiential affairs office for starting a rotation on Christmas Day. That is complete garbage.

Check your University handbook and relevant state education laws...you are still a student, and may have protections from having to participate in school activities on a religious holiday if you give proper notice.

This all goes away when you graduate, but enjoy it if you can for one last year.

And shame on your experiential affairs office for starting a rotation on Christmas Day. That is complete garbage.

I'll have to check the handbook. But during the APPE presentation in class earlier this year the question did come up and the APPE coordinator said that it depends on the site and the preceptor. If they work on Christmas then you have to show up.

Our school doesn't require we work school holidays. Plus, as a preceptor that's SUPER sucky to make you work Christmas. It's not like you're getting holiday pay or anything. At CVS, Christmas is double time (or at least use to be).