Need some advice on whether I should start down this crazy path!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Terp93

Reaction score
Hey all!

Just joined the forum as I've been wrestling with something that's been on my mind for a while now. To give you the full story, I graduated from a well respected public university around 5 years ago. While I interned at the NIH the summer after my freshman year, and was definitely interested in the medical field and pursuing Medical School after graduation initially, I ultimately decided (for several reasons) to switch my major from bioengineering to mechanical engineering, and 'officially' decided against medical school as an option by the end of my Freshman year. There were a few reasons for this, from lower than anticipated grades my first year, to pressure from my family to pursue a more 'marketable' form of engineering so that I could get a decent job out of undergrad, but ultimately, I left my dream of entering the medical field by the wayside...

Having studied engineering, and having done relatively well (3.3 GPA), I joined a large technology and management consulting firm directly out of school. While it has been a great experience that I don't regret, I've come to a point in my life where I am able to recognize that this is definitely not my passion, and the decent money that the job provides is no longer able to make it worth my while.

As such, I come to you all for an honest assessment of whether or not I would stand a chance applying to MD/DO schools a few years down the road, once I've had time to take all of the prerequisite courses, do a few internships/volunteering experiences, and take the MCAT (and with any luck, do well!). Here are a few of my stats/experiences thus far to help give a better assessment:

Undergrad School: Top 40 Public University
Undergrad Degree: Mechanical Engineering (Top 15 Ranked Nationally)
Undergrad GPA: 3.3 (Significant upward trend)
Medical Related Internships/Experiences: Interned during the summer after my Freshman year at the NIH in the Viral Biochemistry Section. This was a great experience and something I think could really add to my overall application if I am able to work my way back into that section for another internship or two, however, I'd look to you all in regards to how much this could help.

If I do decide to go down this path, my thinking right now is that I would either go back to school part-time to complete the pre-reqs (a few programs I've research sound great for working career-changers, and they're right in my area), or go back for a full-time post-bac program. Running the numbers, this should allow me to raise my GPA up to ~3.4-3.5 within a couple years, and allow me to take all the required pre-reqs. It would hopefully also allow me time to gain real-world experience in the medical/research field through shadowing and internships.

If I'm crazy for thinking I have a shot, please give me a dose of reality ;) But in all honesty, I think this is something I really want to try to pursue, even if it costs me a few years of good income and sleepless nights. I'm finally ready to give it a shot.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I would definitely give it a shot. Your plan sounds great to me and I think you have a good chance of getting into an MD or DO program if you can raise your GPA and get a decent MCAT score. I think they will take into account your engineering major (it is one of the hardest majors) when looking at your undergraduate GPA.

You 100% have a shot. A quick background on myself. I graduated with a degree in finance with a much lower GPA ~3.0. Did a formal post bacc program w/o linkage, my gpa did not allow me a chance at a program w/ linkage. Currently about to apply this cycle w/ a cGPA 3.17 sGPA 3.79 post bacc 3.97 and 99thpercentile MCAT.

Here is my advice to you that I wish I knew before I left my job in Finance to start the post bacc.

It is a very long process and while staying focused on the task at hand is of utmost importance make sure you think big picture as well.
Start volunteering both clinically and non-clinically from day 1. Chose opportunities that interest you to pursue not just to check off a box on an application. Research opportunities are difficult as a non trad so ask early on in your post bacc for opportunities if research is something that interests you

Form relationships w/ your professors because they will most likely be writing your recommendations. Also if possible ask your current boss for one.

Crush your post bacc classes and MCAT. Your uGPA is not going to hurt you necessarily. You did not really perform poorly and it was in a difficult field. Dont worry about raising your uGPA just focus on getting a very high Post bacc gpa because A) it will take a ton of credits to really alter a uGPA B) an upward trend is important and C) you cannot control the past but you can control the future and that will be your narrative

Start looking over MCAT review books while taking your post bacc classes, you dont need to necessarily start studying but having a general idea of what is ahead of you will be invaluable.

Also w/ your uGPA definitely look into post baccs w/ linkages ie bryn mawr etc

Good luck, hopefully this advice helps and let me know if you have any other questions.

Members don't see this ad :)
You 100% have a shot. A quick background on myself. I graduated with a degree in finance with a much lower GPA ~3.0. Did a formal post bacc program w/o linkage, my gpa did not allow me a chance at a program w/ linkage. Currently about to apply this cycle w/ a cGPA 3.17 sGPA 3.79 post bacc 3.97 and 99thpercentile MCAT.

Here is my advice to you that I wish I knew before I left my job in Finance to start the post bacc.

It is a very long process and while staying focused on the task at hand is of utmost importance make sure you think big picture as well.
Start volunteering both clinically and non-clinically from day 1. Chose opportunities that interest you to pursue not just to check off a box on an application. Research opportunities are difficult as a non trad so ask early on in your post bacc for opportunities if research is something that interests you

Form relationships w/ your professors because they will most likely be writing your recommendations. Also if possible ask your current boss for one.

Crush your post bacc classes and MCAT. Your uGPA is not going to hurt you necessarily. You did not really perform poorly and it was in a difficult field. Dont worry about raising your uGPA just focus on getting a very high Post bacc gpa because A) it will take a ton of credits to really alter a uGPA B) an upward trend is important and C) you cannot control the past but you can control the future and that will be your narrative

Start looking over MCAT review books while taking your post bacc classes, you dont need to necessarily start studying but having a general idea of what is ahead of you will be invaluable.

Good luck, hopefully this advice helps and let me know if you have any other questions.
Thank you for the insight! In regards to the post bacc programs w/linkages that you recommended, what does that mean exactly? I'm assuming some sort of 'link' between that post bacc and a medical school?

Thank you for the insight! In regards to the post bacc programs w/linkages that you recommended, what does that mean exactly? I'm assuming some sort of 'link' between that post bacc and a medical school?

Exactly, they usually have academic requirements (post bacc gpa/ MCAT) to sit for an interview at the associated medical school or schools. Best advice to learn about them is research research research. Plenty of information online/ don't hesitate to reach out to the individual programs.

Exactly, they usually have academic requirements (post bacc gpa/ MCAT) to sit for an interview at the associated medical school or schools. Best advice to learn about them is research research research. Plenty of information online/ don't hesitate to reach out to the individual programs.
Sounds good, thanks for the information!

Do you mind sharing your MCAT studying techniques?

Do you mind sharing your MCAT studying techniques?
Of course.

1. take a lot of practice exams under testing conditions. 12 weeks out from my exam I took 1 per week.

2.Spend more time reviewing your full lengths than you did taking them. I would review a section each day following the exam. Reread the passages and answer the questions you got wrong before looking at the right answer. Make sure you learn from every failed attempt as well as your correct answers.

3. content review never ends, once you change your mindset from “this will never be on it I’m not learning it” to genuinely educating yourself thoroughly on topics you will start seeing an increase in score. Through my preparation I probably learned a lot of information that wasn’t directly tested but allowed me to better understand core principles as a whole.

4. hammer your weaknesses. I took a practice chem/phys section every morning right when I woke up the 2 weeks leading up to the exam. I used uworld to create mock sections. If something is challenging to you don’t shy away work twice as hard at it.

5.Read, reading books outside of studying I believe is very helpful for cars. Increases your speed and expands your vocabulary

6. Quality over quantity. I was studying ~8 hours a day 6 days a week for a while but realized it was a waste focusing on the amount of time I spent studying if it wasn’t productive. If you give yourself enough time to prepare you can afford to stop studying when you lose focus. I studied for 3.5 months and realized no one session was going to make or break my preparation so if I started to lose focus I would stop and take a long break. Burnout is 100% real and it can be avoided by understanding when you are being productive and when you are not.

7. psych/soc. Use anki and don’t just write definitions write examples. They will never just ask for a definition straight up. While preparing, each answer choice regardless of whether it is right or wrong is something you should know. Spend time even if it’s just 30 minutes reviewing your anki deck each day. Chances are a term will pop up you do not know in this section. This is how they test your Critical thinking. Stay calm and think rationally. Understanding they aren’t trying to trick you is key.

8. bio/bio chem there are a lot of concepts that continually pop up (amino acids, insulin/glucagon , etc) it’s great that you know them in October but will you know them in March? Every week or so review these major concepts. The last 20 days before my exam I wrote out the amino acids (structure, name, abbreviations) before bed. Don’t miss out on easy points because you didn't engrain simple concepts.

overall the mcat is a tough test but you have control over how well you do. There are a ton of resources available. Realizing that you need to put in the time to do well and enjoying your preparation rather than making it a chore will benefit you greatly. I have no doubt that with enough quality studying anyone can get over 90%

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user