Need some advice on whether to stay in or not

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PressPforPi

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently Air Force enlisted with two years left on my contract. Before I joined, I worked retail and was on my parents' insurance. I'm considering staying in and doing HPSP just because I'm worried about the little to no income and no real health insurance while I'm in medical school (if I get in, applying next cycle). My teenage years weren't the life of luxury, and we were pretty poor. I honestly don't know if I want to go through with feeling so unsecured those four years. I know some schools offer school insurance, but from what I've seen, you get little to nothing. Can anyone offer any kind of advice? No family right now, but I do plan on having one at some point.

Members don't see this ad.

You are very unlikely to need better insurance than your school offers and still qualify medically for HPSP. GTFO

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm currently Air Force enlisted with two years left on my contract. Before I joined, I worked retail and was on my parents' insurance. I'm considering staying in and doing HPSP just because I'm worried about the little to no income and no real health insurance while I'm in medical school (if I get in, applying next cycle). My teenage years weren't the life of luxury, and we were pretty poor. I honestly don't know if I want to go through with feeling so unsecured those four years. I know some schools offer school insurance, but from what I've seen, you get little to nothing. Can anyone offer any kind of advice? No family right now, but I do plan on having one at some point.
If you're a healthy 27 y/o and not being treated for diabetes, pancreatic cancer, or HIV, then your insurance needs should be relatively minor. I'm sure being on the school's insurance plan is not exactly the Gold Plan but you won't need the Gold Plan. You have no family, so don't be worried about no income either. If you have been poor in your past, then stay poor in med school too. HPSP has advantages to it but also some very significant downsides. There are lots of reasons to stay in the mil but fear of debt, lack of income, and mediocre health insurance for a healthy single individual ain't them.

Why is a healthy 27 year old worried about insurance?

1). How much college have you completed?

2) How many years will you have served after completing your contract?

I'm finished with college. Currently taking a few post bac classes. I only signed for four. I know it sounds a little absurd for someone that's relatively young and healthy to be worried about insurance, but I like to have all my bases covered. Maybe I'm just being too anxious.

I'm finished with college. Currently taking a few post bac classes. I only signed for four. I know it sounds a little absurd for someone that's relatively young and healthy to be worried about insurance, but I like to have all my bases covered. Maybe I'm just being too anxious.

Any medical school usually has good enough health insurance coverage for all of it's students. If you do HPSP you will be utilizing the civilian medical school's insurance while you are there. When you have to do military stuff each summer you are covered under tricare only for those weeks you are "drilling".

If you go to USUHS you will have full Tricare coverage for you, any family you have now or may have in the future and start getting paid O1 salary the day you start your first day of medical school. Your four years there don't count towards 20 but they get tacked on at the end if you stay in 20 years after you graduate from USUHS.

Also: you won't be on active duty during your time in HPSP, so you won't qualify for Tricare. HPSP will pay for your school's student health plan. So you'll be on the school's health plan either way; the only difference is whether you're funding it with student loans or years of your life.

Last edited:
The coverage the school provides is adequate for a 27 year old healthy single person. I don't think I saw a doctor regularly until I was in the Army, where we were mandated to see dental and medical at least once a year.

Are you eligible for VA benefits/insurance once you're done with your contract?

It just depends. I have definitely looked into Voc Rehab. But obviously, I'm still in so I don't know if I qualify yet. But I've made my decision already. My local leadership has reaffirmed my decision to separate. I'm done with all the bull mess.

Don’t you have the GI bill? That’s a nice enough perk IMHO.
There’s no way I would stay in or do HPSP if I already had GI bill money coming in to help pay for medical school.
Move along and see how bad it really was in the .mil.

--
Il Destriero