Need some advice please!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

acromonkey

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently scheduled to take the July 29 MCAT, but due to some other issues, I am trying to postpone til August 5th or 6th possibly the week after. My primary application has already been submitted. If I do postpone the exam, am I pushing it into "late" territory? Should I stick with the July 29th date? Any advice would be helpful. I really am not sure what to do. I'm getting depressed here, because the MCAT is the only thing holding back my application and my possibility of getting into medical school, so I am trying to do whatever I can to get the best odds! Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad.

I am currently scheduled to take the July 29 MCAT, but due to some other issues, I am trying to postpone til August 5th or 6th possibly the week after. My primary application has already been submitted. If I do postpone the exam, am I pushing it into "late" territory? Should I stick with the July 29th date? Any advice would be helpful. I really am not sure what to do. I'm getting depressed here, because the MCAT is the only thing holding back my application and my possibility of getting into medical school, so I am trying to do whatever I can to get the best odds! Thanks so much!

If you are postponing a single week, I doubt it will make much difference. You will already be a little late in that the schools won't look at your application until a month after the test, when the scores are released. If you simply think you will not be ready, cancel the test and take as much time as you need to get a good score. It is less harmful to delay a year in applying than it is to bomb the test. If you are confident you can do well and know there are spots available at the Aug 5/6 tests, might as well delay since the week won't significantly affect your application one way or another.

A week is not that big of a differece, 2 weeks is getting borderline deeper into the late territory. One of my friends who got most of his secondaries sent out in October ended up interviewing for waitlist spots, and waiting to hear back from med schools in April/May. So yea the longer you wait with rolling admissions the harder it is going to be.

I agree with the above posters, it's already pretty late since your score would have been released closer to September, when early applicants probably submitted everything including MCAT by June-July.
If you feel very comfortable about the exam and are confident that your application will stand out from the huge applicant pool, then go ahead.