Need some advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ioriscrub

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm sure these sorts of threads pop up all the time but I need some advice.
I got my step 1 score back today and it was a 209. I'm pretty disappointed since I was doing much better than that on uworld and NBME practices but oh well. My preclinical grades are decent (no failures) but nothing special. If I improve on step 2 and do well in my clerkships can I still match EM? When should I take step 2? I was going to try and take an EM elective during my 3rd year but maybe it would be better to do a research elective instead to free up time for step 2 study? I would greatly appreciate input.

Members don't see this ad.

The answer is yes. Work hard study hard and you'll make it. Get a good mentor.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Doesn't do the OP any good to sugar coat the situation. Easier said than done but you have to kill your rotations and Step 2. Take Step 2 as early as possible. You still have a shot but it's gonna be hard.

Members don't see this ad :)
Short Answer: Yes, you can still match

Longer Answer: Like you mentioned before, improving your score on Step 2 and doing very well on your EM clinical rotations. One of the PDs told me that to show improvement you should have atleast a 30 point increase from step 1 to step 2 to show improvement (this is because many people naturally do better on it anyways bc its more clinical).
Getting good letters of rec from your EM clinicals counts for a lot too. The worst thing you can do is piss someone (attending or resident) off during your EM clinicals, because I've seen fellow med students not match in their desired specialty because of this. Just work hard, put some thought into your presentations, seize opportunities when they arise and be nice to everyone, this includes all department staff, including nurses, techs, PCAs, etc. Though it might be tempting to bond with residents when they are complaining about or poking fun at someone (ie fellow resident or attending) DONT do this, it will definitely backfire on you.
Research is always good if its something your interested in, just don't let it get in the way of studying for step 2.

The field has gotten far more competitive. I suggest you look at the up to date data when it comes out.

In this order...

1.) Apply EARLY and BROADLY...

2.)KILL Step 2; even if you don't, all is not lost, just cast even a wider net. If you fail it, plan on doing something else.

3.) Do at least 2 away rotations with at least one being 'off the beaten path' of popular places to live; those tend to have less competition. Be an all star, likable, and teachable. Get some stellar SLORs.

Relax, MOST US Grads that apply to EM and apply early and broadly who never failed anything will be able to match. Of course some don't; of course some are going to be killed in a car wreck next week, some are going to be struck by lightening, etc....

Good luck.

Put in time to prepare for Step 2. Obviously, you want to do as well as you can.
I'm not sure setting a goal number really matters.
I'd love to play golf tomorrow and shoot a 59, but it probably won't happen.
Just prepare well and do the best you can.

If your school has a strong EM program, talk to the faculty and get some input.

I'd recommend doing a home rotation plus 2 aways.
Do the aways at places you'd like to go and have a realistic shot.
Work you butt off and try to have great rotations.
Some people will look past the numbers.

Might not work at places that get tons of candidates with the "soft skills" plus great numbers.

:luck: