Nov 28, 2013
Status
Non-Student
Hello,
This is a very sensitive topic for me, I am 21 and was terminated from my Uni 3 years ago after completing a terrible year of schooling with failures due to an illness. I am taking upgrading courses for an entire year to be able to be eligible for re-admission in my program. It is a very hard topic for me to speak about and would just appreciate it if anyone had good knowledge on how a medical school would react to such a case as mine.
Short and simple do I have a good shot at being accepted into med school if I score very high with volunteering for the remaining 3 years of my degree? (biosci) Any insight is much appreciated

StumpMT

5+ Year Member
Sep 14, 2013
Indiana
Status
Pre-Dental
I too am a non-traditional applicant, and although I'm going for dental and not medical I could still try and help. Maybe ADCOMS would see good grades up until your illness period and then see the F's and wonder if something happened outside of your control. I would definitely try to do as well as you can in any future classes and then write about this in your personal statement to demonstrate how you overcame adversity and it made you stronger as a person. Yes I still think you have a shot because they would see a strong upward trend in your academics, which is good.

OP
J
Nov 28, 2013
Status
Non-Student
I too am a non-traditional applicant, and although I'm going for dental and not medical I could still try and help. Maybe ADCOMS would see good grades up until your illness period and then see the F's and wonder if something happened outside of your control. I would definitely try to do as well as you can in any future classes and then write about this in your personal statement to demonstrate how you overcame adversity and it made you stronger as a person. Yes I still think you have a shot because they would see a strong upward trend in your academics, which is good.
Thank you

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
While it's rare to see someone actually kicked out of a college due to failing grades, it happens. What you need to do now is reinvent yourself and demonstrate that you can handle a difficult medical school curriculum. You do that by going back to school and excelling in your course work.

Re-take all F/D/C science coursework. For DO programs, this does wonders for the GPA. For MD schools, you'll need to ace the MCAT and apply strategically.

Hello,
This is a very sensitive topic for me, I am 21 and was terminated from my Uni 3 years ago after completing a terrible year of schooling with failures due to an illness. I am taking upgrading courses for an entire year to be able to be eligible for re-admission in my program. It is a very hard topic for me to speak about and would just appreciate it if anyone had good knowledge on how a medical school would react to such a case as mine.
Short and simple do I have a good shot at being accepted into med school if I score very high with volunteering for the remaining 3 years of my degree? (biosci) Any insight is much appreciated

mk04447

Membership Revoked
Removed
Account on Hold
5+ Year Member
Aug 5, 2012
Status
Medical Student
Just being honest, you aren't non traditional students. That being said, you'll be fine, just fix things going forward and tell your story. You're young, keep swinging.

Prncssbuttercup

Established Member -- Family Medicine Resident
7+ Year Member
Jul 15, 2010
Where ever I am, I wish I was in Versailles
Status
Resident [Any Field]
So if you had an illness you should have asked for a medical waiver, which you still may be able to do. You should contact the university and see what is required to have your transcript modified/erased for that period. I know it's possible, I just don't know your circumstances. Anyway, a friend of mine had colon cancer, and had a semester of Fs. If he had contacted the school sooner they could have fixed them, but he waited several years. He was accepted into school as once he said 'well I was diagnosed with colon cancer at 21, and my brother and father died of it' they just didn't really care about that semester anyway... hope that helps!