Need some advice!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Snoozer33

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, so I've been lurking here for a while, but now I need some advice. I just got my MCAT results today and they are far from what I was expecting. All my practice MCAT's were in the 31-32 range. Real MCAT result was a 26 (8/10/8).

Little background: 38 y/o, 2nd career. AAMC cGPA 3.23, sGPA 3.22. AMCAS cGPA 3.65, sGPA 3.55.
Last 120 credits, cGPA 3.90, sGPA 3.80. About 200 hours shadowing in a low/no health insurance clinic. Work as a PCT on a post-surgical floor, and work full time in my "retail technology" career. Lost of leadership and community service. No research.

I am late in the cycle for AMCAS, but still have time in AACOMA. I have a slight preference for MD, but am definitely not opposed to DO, and in some cases prefer it. Dual state residency of New York and Texas.

Should I continue to go all out in the application cycle? The other option is to stop the presses, regroup and take the MCAT again in October/November and apply early next year. At 38 years old, I know time is not my friend in this process.

What direction should I take?

Members don't see this ad.

With your numbers I would not recommend applying MD this year. Retake mcat, and apply early in the spring. Or apply DO now, and continue with mcat retake, and apply in the spring if you get no love from DO schools this cycle.

Skip AMCAS and apply AACOMAS only. You aren't going to be competitive for many allo programs with those stats, and you should be reasonably competitive if you apply broadly to DO programs, especially with such a good upward GPA trend.

I wouldn't bother retaking the MCAT unless there is something concrete and specific (you were sick, didn't really study properly, etc) that you can easily correct for your next go-round. People never seem to consider the fact that statistically, they are most likely to end up with the exact same score on retake. That's what it means to take a standardized test: the MCAT scoring is set up so that most people who retake will score within three points of their last score. A 29 on retake would be decent but still on the low side for many allo schools, while a 23 would pretty much signal game over for you.

BTW, you cannot be a resident of two states for AMCAS. If you do decide to apply AMCAS and you have a choice, definitely go with TX over NY. Not sure what the AACOMAS rules on this are, but I'd be surprised if they let you claim dual state residency either.

Members don't see this ad :)
Awesome advice. Thanks you. This is what I was thinking anyway. I did have an a messed up time with the mcat because I hadn't slept or eaten in nearly 24hours prior because of a series if flight delays coming home from work. I know I could do better being properly rested before hand. However, a great mcat probably won't overcome my grades from 15 years ago.

It seems like my stats measure up with DO schools, and I will be applying as a texas resident. I will still take advantage of the fee waiver from AMCAS, but my I'm realistic about my chances.

No waiver for tmdsas. But one fee covers all texas schools except Baylor. So when I submit tmdsas for UNTHSC (TCOM) I can submit to all allopathic in the state without extra cost.

Good luck! I'll be applying through TMDSAS next cycle! Lubbock (Texas Tech) and TCOM are my top choices.