Need some advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tegs15

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm 28 and have returned to school for medicine, also married with 2.5 children. AZ resident with 3.48 cum gpa and 3.55 science due to slacking my first two years of college years ago. If you were me where would you be applying to Med School. All suggestions accepted. (i felt good about the MCAT 29-31 fingers crossed)

Members don't see this ad.

Arizona state schools

Members don't see this ad :)
Is your spouse going to be supporting the kids all by himself/herself? (Both care and financially.) If so, if I were you, no, I wouldn't apply. I'd support my family instead.

My wife thanks you for the consideration, however before I left a good career and returned to school our family discussed all the pros and cons. This has been a family decision. Med school cannot take any more time then my undergrad and work has. I leave every morning at 6:30 and return at midnight. There is no more time to give.

I'd recommend taking a look at the AAMC book on medical schools. And then apply to the private schools (they accept more outta-state in general), in addition to your state of resident medical school. Good luck.

yep I agree...take a look at the private schools. Also maybe try and see which schools take more non-traditional students. Can you move anywhere or need to stay out west?

No, our family is ready to move where ever it will work. We have considered many midwest and eastern schools. My top pick would be UCONN.

you need to tailor your application to the University of Arizona school of Medicine. Because of state pref, that's where you have the best chance to get in. And since you're not going to be deciding between Arizona and Hopkins/Harvard/Penn/WashingtonU, it would make sense to go to U of A anyways. It's a good school.

If you have any questions about UCONN feel free to PM me.

I am a non-traditional student at UCONN with 3 kids (7,5,9mos). UCONN is a very supportive school for students with families.

Having extended family and friends nearby makes med school much easier when you have children....something to consider.

Honestly, go ahead and apply to your dream school too. The one thing I think I have learned from reading all the SDN and MD Applicant posts is that you never know!

You can look into AZCOM. Osteopathic schools are generally receptive to older students.

Apply to Case Western. They accept a lot of non-traditional applicants.