Need some advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

at1175

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all. I won't make this too long, but I could really use some input. Without going into too much details (because then it would be very long), and because I want to be discreet about the matter, here is the situation in a nutshell: my school is forcing me to retake a class which I passed (the professor and I had a disagreement over the grade). My evidence proves that I did pass the class, and in addition the school has a lot of shady practices (which I can prove), and more importantly the university colluded and hindered every due process I was allowed per their own rules to get this rectified. At this point, I know one thing for certain, that is that I will sue them, and that I have enough evidence to absolutely prove my case. However, I decided that bringing lawyers into this now could be chaotic and time consuming.....so I'll retake the class, finish my rotations, and then pursue it legally once I have my degree. I won't actually be too far behind my class, just a few months, and I'll just have to retake the class which I can handle. Is this the smart move or should I pursue legal action now. My worry in pursuing legal action now is that if it takes up too much time (I'm assuming legal stuff can take a lot of time), then I risk delaying graduation and then what's the point. This way I play along, get my degree, and then deal with this. Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm no expert, but I don't think you can sue a school while attending. This includes taking time off to sue them. If anything get your degree first.

Life isn't fair. If they are letting you retake the course so that you can graduate, just take the "loss" and keep it moving. I, personally, wouldn't waste my time or money fighting a business that probably spends your tuitions worth on lawyer fees unless my rights were violated.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
What exactly will you sue them for after it is over?

All I can think of is that they would need to compensate me for what they put me through and for wasting my time. They have delayed my graduation, forcing me to redo a class I passed, and acted without any objectivity or regard for their appeals process. I know I didn't go into details here, but I can assure you the evidence I have, any fair third party can look at it and see that I am in the right. I am not motivated by money, I don't have debt thanks to my family, but I just need to make things right if that makes sense, I feel like a great injustice has been done to me.

I'm no expert, but I don't think you can sue a school while attending. This includes taking time off to sue them. If anything get your degree first.

Life isn't fair. If they are letting you retake the course so that you can graduate, just take the "loss" and keep it moving. I, personally, wouldn't waste my time or money fighting a business that probably spends your tuitions worth on lawyer fees unless my rights were violated.

Thanks for the advice. That is indeed what I am leaning towards, in that I will get my degree first.
As for life not being fair, that is true, but I would rather look back and know that I did everything I can. In the end, even if things don't go my way, I can live with that. Also, I do feel my rights were violated. Even if I don't get anything out of it, I am determined to take them down. This school came across as one of the kindest and most caring schools ever, but they are run by idiots and I can even prove that they have manipulated grades in favor of students whose families are tied to the school. I'm digressing but that is just extra stuff I have on them and shows how shady they are.

Hello all. I won't make this too long, but I could really use some input. Without going into too much details (because then it would be very long), and because I want to be discreet about the matter, here is the situation in a nutshell: my school is forcing me to retake a class which I passed (the professor and I had a disagreement over the grade). My evidence proves that I did pass the class, and in addition the school has a lot of shady practices (which I can prove), and more importantly the university colluded and hindered every due process I was allowed per their own rules to get this rectified. At this point, I know one thing for certain, that is that I will sue them, and that I have enough evidence to absolutely prove my case. However, I decided that bringing lawyers into this now could be chaotic and time consuming.....so I'll retake the class, finish my rotations, and then pursue it legally once I have my degree. I won't actually be too far behind my class, just a few months, and I'll just have to retake the class which I can handle. Is this the smart move or should I pursue legal action now. My worry in pursuing legal action now is that if it takes up too much time (I'm assuming legal stuff can take a lot of time), then I risk delaying graduation and then what's the point. This way I play along, get my degree, and then deal with this. Any thoughts?
This is a area in which I am pretty knowledge as I intend to sue my school myself. My advice is first you cannot sue your school till you get your degree or they will hold it hostage. I would consider the cost of going to court. It could take between 50k to 100k. It is very hard to sue schools because academic has been given a wide berth. If you can still get your degree, I would just take it and run. Don't mess with the school and burn your bridge. If you want to talk more about it, go ahead and message me.

Just suck it up and retake the class.

My wife, being an attorney, has given me some valuable advice. While you may be dead correct and 100% in the right, this does not really matter in terms of your reputation. Even something drastic like an EOC suit where you may have been wronged for intrinsic factors like age, sex, religion etc can still have repercussions. Getting a letter of recommendation and getting any assistance after graduation may be tough. Answer this question "Is the amount of money that I can make off this suit (given that an attorney taking it on contingency can take of up 20-30% often if it actually goes to court) going to substantially improve my life? also will the settlement be enough for me to deal with the hassles of the red tape and the stigma of being one who is quick to bring a suit? While it may be an inconvenience to redo the class, if you can walk away relatively unharmed and with a degree you got what you wanted out of the school. I know tons of examples where bringing a suit has bitten people in the tail. I know of eoc cases related to hostile work environment that essentially got someone blackballed from the community and they essentially were deemed a trouble maker, it was also hard for them to get cooperation from the place they sued for paper work and proof and it delayed working by 2-3 months. I am not saying don't or do sue, I am just saying that even the most appealing cases can have substantial unintended consequences that could hurt your career more than a chunk of change upfront. Some lawyers will not tell you this and they may also run up your tab which can be financially cumbersome. In addition if you lose often times you are going to pay your attorney fees and the group you sued attorney fee's. Just some food for thought. Good luck.

Reactions: 1 users
By the time you graduate you'll be so happy to never be in that damn building again that I doubt you'll proceed with a lawsuit.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Status
Not open for further replies.