Need some advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jay37

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there! I just recently finished up my undergrad degree in biology and need some advice. I had a very shaky start during my freshman year and I ended up with a cumulative gpa of 2.45 with a science gpa of a 2.00. After doing some soul searching and reevaluating my study habits, I decided that this is what I wanted and needed to pursue. Fast forward 3 years, I just graduated with a cumulative gpa of 3.11 and a science gpa of 2.70 (120 total credits). Every year following freshman year has been better than the previous one. However, I realized the upward trend wasn't enough. I am starting a one year post-bacc program in August. I plan on retaking any science classes I received a C or lower in. I also plan on taking a few upper-level biology electives. This post-bacc will be around 30 credits. I also just started studying for the MCAT and plan on taking it in September. Would doing really well on the MCAT and knocking this postbacc out of the park be enough to be a somewhat competitive applicant to MD/ DO schools? I have about 200 volunteer hours at hospitals and participated in numerous clubs while holding leadership positions in college (Few of them focusing on volunteering around the community.) I plan on getting in some more clinical volunteer hours and shadowing physicians this summer and fall. I'm also a first gen college student coming from a disadvantaged background, don't know if that would factor in much. Any advice/ encouragement about my situation would be appreciated, so sorry for the length of this post! Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

honestly your story and mine are almost identical (other than your science gpa) and I am matriculating this fall. have faith and dont lose patience. I also graduated with a 3.11 gpa and did a year and a half of post-bacc. Make sure you try to get your science gpa above 3.0. good luck man, long road ahead but its worth it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just looked through your postings and got a bunch of helpful information. Thank you so much for all of your help! My only question is what do I do if after my postbac, my science gpa is still not quite over a 3? Should I enroll in a master's program, do another semester of postbac work, or still apply anyways?

honestly your story and mine are almost identical (other than your science gpa) and I am matriculating this fall. have faith and dont lose patience. I also graduated with a 3.11 gpa and did a year and a half of post-bacc. Make sure you try to get your science gpa above 3.0. good luck man, long road ahead but its worth it.
Thanks man, that was encouraging. What was your sgpa right after graduating, if you don't mind me asking?