Need some advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

morganlefay

hanging in there
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm gonna lay my pride down here....I just got my scores back from my retake of the test, and I actually DROPPED three points, instead of going up three, like I wanted.

April
11V 8BS 7PS Wr. Q
August
10V 8BS 5PS Wr. S

I feel lilke a complete *******, expecially since I am complete at all the schools I applied to (check out the mdapps profile on my sig), and all they are waiting for is this score. At which point I am probably screwed. What do you all think? What should I do?

Members don't see this ad.

imho, 23 might be kinda low. 3.4 bcpm is good, but not great. see what happens though...if it doesn't work out, you may want to take the mcat again or do a one-year masters/post-bacc. also, you may want to consider DO schools...

good luck.

definitely put in apps to drexel, nymc, finch (some of the less selective schools)

hrmmm, thanks
any other thoughts? plz?

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, it is what it is. Do not give up hope because you never know who will pick up your application. Maybe someone who had similar #'s to yourself.

If you don't get in, then yes, you must sit through the MCAT monster again. But, deal with that if you have to.

I would also apply to more schools... maybe 25-30, if you can afford it.

Morgan,

I'm so sorry that your scores didn't go up like you hoped they would. How do you feel about your preparation/test taking for each of the exams? Are there problems you can address if you take the MCAT again? It's probably what you will have to do if you want to apply MD.

I don't think that you should add a ton of schools. Maybe a few if there are some that have lower ave. stats than your state schools. Otherwise it may be a lot of $ and time spent that could be saved for an effort later on, with better MCAT scores.

Above all don't give up on your dreams. Really think about what your ambitions and career goals are and how you can find a way to head in that direction regardless of whether you are in med school or not next year.

Best of luck. :luck: :luck:

thanks all. any more thoughts would be much appreciated. nothin' i can do right now but wait...so we'll see

Just had a thought: should I write a letter to send to all the schools I applied to explaining what went wrong (prob. too little time to review) and to consider my April score with more weight?

i went down two points too, so im feeling exactly what you are. it really sucks. i dont know about putting a letter in though. i mean, it is expected that we allot enough time to prepare for this test and if you didnt...well then it shouldnt be a surprise that you did worse (and im saying this as if i was an adcom, cause right now i myself are trying to find a reason why i was scoring well on practice exams but completely bombed on the real thing). i dont know what we can do. hope that they look at the first scores i guess. im not withdrawing from any schools that i sent secondaries to but i am cutting down on the # of md schools i still have to send apps out to. i guess all we can do is wait and hope..but dont worry, youre not alone!

Morgan, I'm so sorry you didn't get the scores you were hoping for. I noticed that you're a FL resident (so am I): Why aren't you applying to FL State? Their average MCAT (VR-7.9 PS-9.1 BS-9.7 out of MSAR) is right around your first set of scores. Plus, they ONLY look at FL residents, so your chances would be quite good. Miami's average is about a 29, and you may be competitive there as well if your extracurriculars are outstanding.

I know that there are accreditation issues with FSU, but from what I understand, that's pretty much a formality because they are a new program. Historically, every school that has ever been under review for accreditation has gotten it in the end. Also, if you have an interest in working with under-served populations, that would be good for FSU. AND THEY DON'T REQUIRE AN APPLICATION FEE WITH THEIR SECONDARY!

Best of luck to you!

acl3623 said:
i went down two points too, so im feeling exactly what you are. it really sucks. i dont know about putting a letter in though. i mean, it is expected that we allot enough time to prepare for this test and if you didnt...well then it shouldnt be a surprise that you did worse (and im saying this as if i was an adcom, cause right now i myself are trying to find a reason why i was scoring well on practice exams but completely bombed on the real thing). i dont know what we can do. hope that they look at the first scores i guess. im not withdrawing from any schools that i sent secondaries to but i am cutting down on the # of md schools i still have to send apps out to. i guess all we can do is wait and hope..but dont worry, youre not alone!

Good to hear from you! Well, we're in this together. I'll wait with ya. Good luck! And, yea, I really hope that they tend to look at the higher score, even if it happens to be the first one. I wonder if that is the case.

dandelion said:
Morgan, I'm so sorry you didn't get the scores you were hoping for. I noticed that you're a FL resident (so am I): Why aren't you applying to FL State? Their average MCAT (VR-7.9 PS-9.1 BS-9.7 out of MSAR) is right around your first set of scores. Plus, they ONLY look at FL residents, so your chances would be quite good. Miami's average is about a 29, and you may be competitive there as well if your extracurriculars are outstanding.

I know that there are accreditation issues with FSU, but from what I understand, that's pretty much a formality because they are a new program. Historically, every school that has ever been under review for accreditation has gotten it in the end. Also, if you have an interest in working with under-served populations, that would be good for FSU. AND THEY DON'T REQUIRE AN APPLICATION FEE WITH THEIR SECONDARY!

Thanks for mentioning this! Hadn't even thought about it. I shall check this out. :) You rock.

Hey Morgan,
do not give up at this point. You completed all your secondary applications, paid fees, do not stop!!!! I will do the same with my 23 :mad: and 3.84 science GPA. I already completed all my secondary appls, and will just hope.....

Dr. N said:
Hey Morgan,
do not give up at this point. You completed all your secondary applications, paid fees, do not stop!!!! I will do the same with my 23 :mad: and 3.84 science GPA. I already completed all my secondary appls, and will just hope.....

Thanks, Dr. N. Good luck to you! Stay in touch as u hear from schools....:)
Let's rock the low-to-mid 20's! :horns: I am hoping so badly that they will give more weight to the first score.