Need Some Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Wanderer259

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry if this is long. I tried to shorten it out, but I tend to ramble easily. I've been lurking about the board for a while and I've read a lot of free literature on getting into medical school, but I thought I'd get some eyes on my position and see what they can come up with.

I've already spent 1 and 1/2 years as an undecided student at my local community college and one semester as a pre-Journalism framework student; I've only completed 49 credit hours, however, due to a really bad communication error on the school's part before I started my freshman year. Before now, I had this idea in my head that I was going to avoid science and mathematics classes as much as possible. I was successful.

As a result, I'm in a really bad situation for a theoretical pre-med. I've already gotten my year of English out of the way ('A' and 'B' grade), but that's it. I've only done one semester of an Intro to Biology course (earned a 'C' due to self-negligence and there was no accompanying lab). My GPA is also suffering, as I've kept it at a steady 2.7 for the past two semesters due to a distinct lack of effort and motivation I created for myself by not having a goal; I can't see past the Fall of 2005 because my school is a jerk (it switched administrative systems in the middle of my time here), but I'm sure it's not too much higher. It couldn't be any higher than a 3.0, I'm deathly certain.

So how screwed am I? I was originally going to take on another semester at my community college to finish out the AA degree in general studies I was working on, but I no longer see the point. I'm thinking about dropping my registration before I pay my tuition off this Friday, skipping this semester to go ahead and apply at the in-state university I'm looking at (which I am elgible to get into) and sort of 'reboot', increasing my GPA and taking my pre-reqs there while most likely majoring in Criminal Justice or Journalism. What I have done already at my current school should all carry over just fine (four semester of general studies work). I CAN do the work and do the work well - it's just a matter of finally applying myself, paying attention, and for once in my life, studying. I haven't exactly set my heart on med school yet - I've yet to shadow a doctor, which I plan on doing very soon - but I'd like to open the door for myself. :thumbup:

Thanks for any replies.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think your bio course counts since it's a labless course. You need a year introductory bio for bio majors (Principles of Biology I and II or something like that). I think you should transfer to a four year school and start over. I know this seems distressing since you've already done a good bit, but if you give it a go from the very beginning (ie as a freshman) and show med schools that you can be successful you have a good shot at overcoming your cc days.

I can see the merits in leaving what I've already done behind and completely starting over as a freshman at 0 credit hours, but geez, I'm going to catch a lot of crap from a lot of people should I do it, though. :( I'm hoping I can do something a bit less extreme. I'd feel a lot less like I completely wasted two years of my life if I can salvage something from it, like the good year of Writing I did and any pre-reqs for my future major/minor I might have taken care of in my general studies inadvertantly. Will the GPA I've already accumulated really damage the end result that much?

Members don't see this ad :)
from what i have read, it seems as if medical schools do not like to see coursework from a CC....although they accept it, they frown upon it and would prefer a student to have taken courses (especially science courses) at a 4 year university.

In your case I would probably start over as a freshman at a 4 year university and just kick ass. I'm not sure if the work you have done can transfer over but if so, I would still re-take the science classes.

Like others have said: if you want it bad enough, you'll do it.

:luck:

J

Wanderer259 said:
I can see the merits in leaving what I've already done behind and completely starting over as a freshman at 0 credit hours, but geez, I'm going to catch a lot of crap from a lot of people should I do it, though. :( I'm hoping I can do something a bit less extreme. I'd feel a lot less like I completely wasted two years of my life if I can salvage something from it, like the good year of Writing I did and any pre-reqs for my future major/minor I might have taken care of in my general studies inadvertantly. Will the GPA I've already accumulated really damage the end result that much?

The thing is, 49 hours of classes lends a good bit of momentum to your GPA making it harder to change. On the plus side even though it would be hard to get your GPA really high, I think you will be able to make it borderline viable on its own and you will have a huge upward trend. Combine that with a good MCAT some decent ECs and I think you've got a good shot even if you don't start over.

PS I'd also seek some advice on majors. I think I read on one of the Texas school's website that they prefer science majors or liberal arts majors over vocational majors. I'm not sure where journalism and criminology fits into all that, but for example Economics is better than Business; Physics better than engineering.

Starting over from scratch just isn't possible for me, so I've placed myself on a path for one more semester at the community college (for parental appeasement and I wouldn't be doing too much of anything anyway if I don't go) before I transfer over to the actual university and do my best to kick its teeth in academically. I guess I'll be counting on a highly visible upwards trend in my grades to get me through GPA-wise. If I have to do the extra time, so be it.

Thanks for your help, Some and UVM.

Wanderer259 said:
Starting over from scratch just isn't possible for me, so I've placed myself on a path for one more semester at the community college (for parental appeasement and I wouldn't be doing too much of anything anyway if I don't go) before I transfer over to the actual university and do my best to kick its teeth in academically. I guess I'll be counting on a highly visible upwards trend in my grades to get me through GPA-wise. If I have to do the extra time, so be it.

Thanks for your help, Some and UVM.

Your GPA from your past credits will be visible whether you transfer them or no, so you might as well get any worth out of them that you can.

It's good to see that you know you are dependent on a positive trend from this point forwards.

Go on, major in whatever best makes sense for you, and do the best you can. Make sure you participate in EC's that demostrate that you know what the lifestyle of a physician entails.

The adcoms do understand that people change their minds.

Best of luck to you! :luck: :luck:

You're talking as if once you get into a university everything will be different. Somethings will be different, some classes will likely be harder, but really your sucess will depend on your doing the work. You have not proven the ability to do this yet.

So first of all, don't screw around your last semester at CC because it will count towards your overall gpa that you apply to medical school with. Try to make all A's this semester and see what happens. Do it to prove to yourself that you can, if you can't do it on the CC level, then you probably can't do it at the university level. So prove that you can do it now, don't wait until you get into university to start studying.

For one, studying is a skill that will take mastering, and there is no better time than the present. Secondly, as I've said (and Molly pointed out) you will have to submit all of your previous transcripts from every school to medical schools when you apply. That means your 2.7 plus whatever you make next semester will be compiled with your university gpa into one overall gpa. So take this last semester serious!

Good luck!

if money is not an issue, i'd finish your AA degree and go on to your university. even if med schools disregard CC courses as prereqs, i think they still request that transcripts be sent, in which case, they can see the turnaround you're going to have to make. you're fighting an uphill battle now and you have to do everything you can prove them that 1) you can handle med school workload and 2) that you are dedicated to medicine.

this means that you'll have to excel in your university courses. show them that upward trend that you are able to maintain. for the second point, you'll have to do shadowing/research/volunteering that shows you've seen medicine and that you know what's ahead for you.

DoctorPardi said:
You're talking as if once you get into a university everything will be different. Somethings will be different, some classes will likely be harder, but really your sucess will depend on your doing the work. You have not proven the ability to do this yet.

So first of all, don't screw around your last semester at CC because it will count towards your overall gpa that you apply to medical school with. Try to make all A's this semester and see what happens. Do it to prove to yourself that you can, if you can't do it on the CC level, then you probably can't do it at the university level. So prove that you can do it now, don't wait until you get into university to start studying.

For one, studying is a skill that will take mastering, and there is no better time than the present. Secondly, as I've said (and Molly pointed out) you will have to submit all of your previous transcripts from every school to medical schools when you apply. That means your 2.7 plus whatever you make next semester will be compiled with your university gpa into one overall gpa. So take this last semester serious!

Good luck!

All part of the plan. I've decided to avoid taking my science pre-reqs at the community college since they apparently don't look kindly on it, but I'm well aware that this semester is one I need to bust myself on in addition to anything in the future. I don't plan on anything being any different at the university other than everything being more difficult in all respects; I do, however, plan on making myself a very different student. I have a goal now. School is very serious anymore. I saw a student on mdapplicants.com that managed to get into what'll probably be my first choice school with a relatively low GPA and a 29 MCAT score under EDP, so I'm feeling a bit less apprehensive about my upward trend GPA reliance. :thumbup:

I did find what Somemaybedoc was talking about as far as vocational majors go at the University of Texas Medical School at Houston:

Technological, vocational, engineering or business courses of study are not viewed as favorably as those providing a broad educational background.

I guess my idea of majoring in Criminal Justice may be out the window. :( Has anyone here with a vocational-style major made it just fine into a medical school? I haven't seen any at mdapplicants.com and I'm concerned my already crippled record will be looked upon even more unfavorably if I go CJ or even stick with my already determined Journalism route.

One applicant making it is a good sign, but there might be other factors not visible on their MDapps profile.

Since you aren't accepted yet, you want to do everything possible to get in somewhere. That means you can't relax on the upward trend thing. You should try to get all A's or nearly all A's if you can. You should also still try to get a great MCAT score. And you should definitely shadow a doctor and get some other good ECs.

If you only aim for the limited spots available/possible for a low GPA/low MCAT, you might not make it. And that would be unfortunate if you truly decide you want to go into medicine (after shadowing and stuff like you mentioned). So aim higher...then if you don't make your aim...you might still be in good shape.

EDIT: yeah, all kinds of people with different majors make it. Pick what you want to do.