Need some Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

coffinhaed

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

So I have my DAT scheduled on August 20th, because I start my Junior year in college right after and this year I will be done with all my dental school pre reqs. I have a 2.95 Science GPA and 3.27 overall. Pretty much the first semester of College I was too busy being a *******, But I have improved every semester there after and hopefully will do good the rest of the way too.

I moved from PAkistan to US almost 5 years ago so there really wasnt any concept of volunteering and stuff over there like it is over here, so I dont have any volunteering hours, but I am soon going to be joining a childrens Dental clinic as a volunteer probably in august some time, this is an organization that helps children under 18 that are not able to get Dental care. Also I have talked to a couple of Dentists and orthos (which one should I Shadow??) and will start shadowing them once the semester starts as this will give me an internship credit in my school.

So my real question was if I get average scores on the DAT like 19 or 20s would I be able to look like a competitive applicant for the next cycle?? or If I ace the DAT should I apply this cycle?

There are two schools here around me A T stills university and Midwestern. I also plan on applying around here to Unlv and COlorado maybe a couple in Cali.

I have really improved since my first semester in college, I am a science tutor in the university and TRiO aswell.

Thank you for your inputs.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Guys,

So I have my DAT scheduled on August 20th, because I start my Junior year in college right after and this year I will be done with all my dental school pre reqs. I have a 2.95 Science GPA and 3.27 overall. Pretty much the first semester of College I was too busy being a *******, But I have improved every semester there after and hopefully will do good the rest of the way too.

I moved from PAkistan to US almost 5 years ago so there really wasnt any concept of volunteering and stuff over there like it is over here, so I dont have any volunteering hours, but I am soon going to be joining a childrens Dental clinic as a volunteer probably in august some time, this is an organization that helps children under 18 that are not able to get Dental care. Also I have talked to a couple of Dentists and orthos (which one should I Shadow??) and will start shadowing them once the semester starts as this will give me an internship credit in my school.
Usually, it's a good idea to shadow multiple dentists with various specialties, so you'll get exposure to various aspects of dentistry.
So my real question was if I get average scores on the DAT like 19 or 20s would I be able to look like a competitive applicant for the next cycle?? or If I ace the DAT should I apply this cycle?
Your science GPA is very low. Like you said, a 19 on the DAT is average, and with your low GPA, you wouldn't be considered a competitive applicant. Even if you ACE the DAT, you still need to bring that science GPA up to at least 3.3, if not higher.
There are two schools here around me A T stills university and Midwestern. I also plan on applying around here to Unlv and COlorado maybe a couple in Cali.
You definitely need to work much harder if you're planning on any of the Cali school. Most of them are among the most competitive dental schools.
I have really improved since my first semester in college, I am a science tutor in the university and TRiO aswell.
The only proof for this that the admission committee will be looking at is your science GPA.
Thank you for your inputs.
Good Luck:thumbup:

I am in a similar situation to you as well.

I know that i would want to apply this semester just for the experience. I know I probably wont be accepted this year, but I just want to be familiar with the process of collecting transcripts, rec letters, personal statements, all that stuff. I dont want it all to be a surprise to me when it really counts, ya know what I mean?

Also, as far as your GPA is concerned, you should just have faith and iA it will work! a lot of ppl i have read and they started out doing not so good. but then they got 4.0 gpa in one of their final semesters and that really boosted their overall science gpa. no need to worry.

and it is a combination of gpa, dat, rec letters, personality, experience, etc. etc that help ppl get in. having an awesome gpa but zero experience isn't gonna get a person in dental school...

Can you provide more details about what else you have done to be more competitive? Sorry I don't want to unconditionally raise your hopes and them getting shot down. Just being real...In terms of your GPA it has improved so that is always a good sign and getting an ortho shadowing experience is def a plus and required for most d-schools I believe. Focus on really doing well on the DAT and IMHO I think you will have a good shot but dont take my word for it! Good luck :xf:

Thank you guys!

Yeah I am trying to bring it up the GPA. I gotta take physics and biochem and organic evolution this fall so hopefully it will go well and GPA will go up!

More details? Like?