Need some advise

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GATORade

Retired
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
This may be difficult to understand, so please bear with me. Although I have accumulated enough credits to probably have a masters degree by now (a result of numerous major changes), I guess I would be considered a junior in the application process. I have already completed most of my pre-recs, with the exception of organic chem. At this point, my future plans are as follows. I will take organic I this spring along with other required courses for my major. In the summer, I plan on taking Orgo II with lab, an MCAT Kaplan course, and finally the MCAT in August. The major I chose requires me to complete numerous courses specific to the major. As a result, I will be unable to fit micro or biochem into my schedule. However, I am required to take numerous courses in physiology, i.e. anatomy and physiology I and II, general and advanced exercise physiology, and clinical exercise physiology. Not being able to take biochem, micro, or any other recommended course for that matter, and taking the MCAT in August, in my eyes, puts me at every disadvantage for acceptance. I guess I could put off another year and take those extra courses along with the April MCAT, but I'm Already 22 years old and don't really want to wait any longer.
Any advise, criticism, input, or anything would be appreciated. These are my current stats: University of Florida, overall GPA ~3.9, Sci GPA ~3.9, minimal volunteer hours, assisted in organ transplant research, and pending MRS research. I will also be completing a mandatory 16-week internship in a biomedical facility in the fall.
Thanks in advance. Oh yeah, sorry for the exceptionally long thread. :)

Members don't see this ad.

You really do only need the pre-reqs for the MCAT. Others help, but you can get a great score without them...particularly if you intend on taking a course! Make sure to take some recent AAMC practice tests before you decide to fork over the $1000+ to some corporation.

I was initially planning on taking the extra courses (biochem, micro) to strengthen my application, not necessarily to prepare for the MCAT.

Members don't see this ad :)
What up GatorAID? nice nick.
if you made the topic of the thread "do i need Biochem or microbio to apply?" you'd probably get a dozen responses of people that have already been accepted this cycle that have yet to take either one (nor will at all). UF is one of few schools that do indeed require biochem for people to attend, which may have lead to your feeling that all schools are the same way. your physiology classes will help a bit for the MCAT, so dont worry about having 'no edge' at all.

later

You're doing great! Don't worry about your lack of bio chem or micro. I didn't take either and did well on the MCAT and have had multiple interviews. From all I've seen it seems that beyond the pre-reqs schools don't want to see any courses in particular (other than "recommended" courses, you can find those on websites or in the MSAR) just that you've taken a variety and you certainly seem to have that covered.