Jan 4, 2016
Status
Pre-Physical Therapy
Some background:
I’m in the process of applying to one particular DPT program which is located close to where I currently live. My worry is that my undergraduate degree/GPA along with a rather weak resume is holding me back. I majored in Sociology and ended up with a GPA of ~3.1. I was not a particularly driven or happy person during that time, but I eventually started getting decent grades towards my junior and senior years. My resume includes mostly physical labor jobs with no volunteering or anything that makes me stand out.

Some positives:
I have taken the pre-requisites science classes and have gotten all A and A- grades. I also have gotten a recommendation from the head of the exercise physiology department of where I am applying, and received an A in his EP class. I am currently studying for the GRE and doing some observation. I am only applying to this one school because most other schools require biology which I have not taken.

Some questions:
Do I have any chance of making it into a DPT program? If so, should I spend the next year doing volunteer work and taking more classes to apply to other programs? Would it be any easier to try becoming a physical therapy assistant first, and then later applying to a DPT program? If this a completely foolish endeavor, what are some other jobs in the medical industry which I could potentially pivot to?

VitaminPT

2+ Year Member
Apr 6, 2015
Status
Other Health Professions Student, Pre-Physical Therapy
I'll answer some points here.

First, I'm glad you're looking for honesty. That's a good first step. A 3.1 isn't the best to apply for school with, but you can do it if you are selective on where you apply. Chances are, without phenomenal GRE and prereq scores, public state school will be a challenge (not impossible!) maybe aim for private institutions or newer, soon to be accredited programs.

Work. Finish your prerequisites (biology) and dominate it. Make them your number 1 priority. Don't be afraid to work. Take a tech position and learn about the day to day life. It's def not necessary but it could bolster that application. Chances are you are young and don't have a family and children to provide for yet. It's okay to take the job to help complete the bigger picture. It will give you hands on experience, a paycheck, tons of hours, and a possible reference.

As far as PTA, if the DPT is your end goal then a PTA doesn't help that. There aren't any real bridge programs and the time and money you would spend towards becoming a PTA could be put towards your DPT. Again, if possible take a position as a tech and work with DPTs and PTAs. Maybe you find the work the PTA does fits your style. I've worked in a clinic and seen 2 techs who wanted to get their DPT and after seeing the day to day responsibilities and heard enough about loans, switched to PTA. One tech is now halfway through PTA school and absolutely loves it. He had already gotten a masters in human performance and was older. PTA worked best for his situation.

My two cents!

Jul 16, 2014
Status
Physical Therapy Student
Some background:
I’m in the process of applying to one particular DPT program which is located close to where I currently live. My worry is that my undergraduate degree/GPA along with a rather weak resume is holding me back. I majored in Sociology and ended up with a GPA of ~3.1. I was not a particularly driven or happy person during that time, but I eventually started getting decent grades towards my junior and senior years. My resume includes mostly physical labor jobs with no volunteering or anything that makes me stand out.

Some positives:
I have taken the pre-requisites science classes and have gotten all A and A- grades. I also have gotten a recommendation from the head of the exercise physiology department of where I am applying, and received an A in his EP class. I am currently studying for the GRE and doing some observation. I am only applying to this one school because most other schools require biology which I have not taken.

Some questions:
Do I have any chance of making it into a DPT program? If so, should I spend the next year doing volunteer work and taking more classes to apply to other programs? Would it be any easier to try becoming a physical therapy assistant first, and then later applying to a DPT program? If this a completely foolish endeavor, what are some other jobs in the medical industry which I could potentially pivot to?
I had a low cumulative GPA due to not starting out well in college. I took all my prerequisites later as a post bacc student and made sure to ace them all. I applied to 6 competitive schools in my area and got into one of them. What will be working for you is having an upward grade trend and probably a high prerequisite GPA. What is working against you is only applying to one school as that is risky even for people with good GPA's.