Need some guidance...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ashlei

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
First, I am a 30 year old Asian-American who got a BS Psychology degree outside United States, a decade ago :( I am a mom to an 8 year old boy and been married for 9 years. I always wanted to be a Psychiatrist that's why I took Psychology. But I met my husband and the rest is history.

My work history is not even slightly related to medicine :( I have been in Human Resource as well as Management (Supervisor and Manager).

When I had my transcript evaluated, my GPA was 3.11 and my BS = BA.

I need some guidance on how to proceed for application. I live here in Indianapolis and would like to apply for Medical School. Should I apply for Post-Bacc? I think that's my best chance. But what do I know, right? That's why I'm here. I am willing to apply to all the Medical School but I know I have to stay here a little while to finish my prerequisite.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Fastest route is to consider Marian University COM.

You can apply to formal post-bac programs, or DIY at local colleges (like IUPUI).

First, I am a 30 year old Asian-American who got a BS Psychology degree outside United States, a decade ago :( I am a mom to an 8 year old boy and been married for 9 years. I always wanted to be a Psychiatrist that's why I took Psychology. But I met my husband and the rest is history.

My work history is not even slightly related to medicine :( I have been in Human Resource as well as Management (Supervisor and Manager).

I need some guidance on how to proceed for application. I live here in Indianapolis and would like to apply for Medical School. Should I apply for Post-Bacc? I think that's my best chance. But what do I know, right? That's why I'm here. I am willing to apply to all the Medical School but I know I have to stay here a little while to finish my prerequisite.

Thanks!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
gonnif - Thanks. Should I do the DIY route? To be honest I prefer to do a formal postbacc because it's been a long time since I've taken classes :)

I am glad I found this forum :)

Thanks!

I agree with all Post Bacc will take care of everything. While doing that, your first priority should be to keep your GPA up. Another thing to do is to start some volunteer work in medicine related fields, such as hospitals and nursing homes. You could start with a few hours a week, so by the time you are done you have enough hours. I would also get in touch with Marian U COM and get a tour. During the tour you not only can see the school but get some info about your case. Good luck.

Be careful hopping into a formal postbacc. You haven't taken a science course in nearly a decade, so you might need to ease into it. If possible, you might want to consider a summer course or two before you start so you can see how strong your study habits are, get used to college again, and find out where your weaknesses lie. Just my opinion though, if you can handle hopping right into taking 4 lab science courses all at once with no warm up like that, then go for it.

Indianaarn - Thanks! I have not thought about a tour, that is a brilliant idea :)

Mad Jack - Thank you! I was actually thinking of doing a summer course but mainly Math. That is my weakness. I got my science covered but maybe I do need a refresher, specially Physics :) But would it be OK if I just take a non degree summer course first and then continue to a formal postbacc?