Need some guidance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

twinklestar2007

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am an international student with a Biology Undergrad degree(from outside US) and MS Biotech degree from the US with 3 yrs of lab experience. I need some guidance about how to get into US medical schools. Anyone with similar background ? Please give some inputs...

Members don't see this ad.

I am an international student with a Biology Undergrad degree(from outside US) and MS Biotech degree from the US with 3 yrs of lab experience. I need some guidance about how to get into US medical schools. Anyone with similar background ? Please give some inputs...

How is your English? I assume strong. I'm not in your position, but I know a number of international students (including my mother) who face unique challenges when it comes to applying to medical school.

I will tell you this much... if by any chance English is not your first, or strongest language, start studying for the Verbal Reasoning section of the MCAT NOW. This should be your first priority. I wish I were at least half-joking.

(Actually, even if English is your first and ONLY language, you should still start now :laugh: ).

Secondly, you might want to go back to the school where you completed your MS, and see if you can speak to a pre-med advisor about evaluating your background and putting you on the best track to applying.

Good luck; you came to the right place to ask questions. I'm sure you'll get more helpful feedback from others.

I would second the suggestion above. Contact your former US school's medical dept and make an appt to speak with the program director or the assistant program director. Bring your transcripts while you're at it so you'll get a tailored advise on what you need to do before you can apply. I think as long as you have more than 90 credits from a US university and have completed all the pre-reqs recently (like less than 3 years ago), you are eligible to apply for med school. Of course, all the other general requirements must also be met (MCAT, LOR, volunteer work, etc).

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi MSTPbound, thanks for the advice. My English writing, reading and communication skills are good. I took the GRE and got a good score, on the same lines, I think I can do the MCAT with some more practice.... GraceC, thank you very much...I will soon get in touch with my advisor for more inputs....

Check out these previous threads and PM me if you have specific questions:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=4525071#post4525071
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=4402812#post4402812