Need some help guys...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Femtochemistry

Skunk Works
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok,

For pitts secondary, there essay is as follows:
Describe a personal experience which resulted in a substantial moral or ethical dilemma. What
was the outcome? We are reluctant to accept assertions that you have never encountered such a
situation. Please do not address cheating in an academic setting.

Can some of you guys give me some ideas on what to write; i am kinda lost for works/ideas.

thx

Members don't see this ad.

well, if you have truely never faced such a situation, that I guess you're screwed. If this is the case, I suggest you write about how you faced the moral dilemna of having to lie about facing a moral dilemna in an essay, and how you eventually decided just to admit to Pitt that you never have. Now THAT would be an essay! If I were on an adcom and read that, I'd prolly tack on 0.5 onto your GPA and 5 points to your overall MCAT.

Originally posted by Adcadet
well, if you have truely never faced such a situation, that I guess you're screwed. If this is the case, I suggest you write about how you faced the moral dilemna of having to lie about facing a moral dilemna in an essay, and how you eventually decided just to admit to Pitt that you never have. Now THAT would be an essay! If I were on an adcom and read that, I'd prolly tack on 0.5 onto your GPA and 5 points to your overall MCAT.

:rolleyes:

thx for the effort

Members don't see this ad :)
this one took a while to thinkg about for me - its something you may have to ruminate over for a bit. remember it is not the magnitude of the event that matters, but how you handled it, and your thought process. but more importantly, pitts is really really short (250 words), so if you are doign the duke one you better be able to expand on that hardcore.

some i've heard about are (definately will not all apply - and i'm not commenting on the quality of them at all - what do i know):

head of a sorority was told to have any parties for a semester (probation or something) but had a lot of internal pressure to have one anyway - she didn't despite losing the presidency because of it.

someone actualyl was personally in charge of guiding the family decision regarding the do not resus order for a grandparent.

friends little bro stole some baseball cards from a cvs or something - and she had a tough time deciding whether it was worth getting her bro in trouble for $1.50 worth of cards. she made him give them back but it was all good blah blah

person couldn't decide to goto work cause they were tired. decided not to show up to work when they were an aircraft tower controller and caused 300 deaths (kidding).

i dunno - its a personal thing of all magnitudes - nearly anything there was a gray area about - and you had to discern the right action (if there even is one) will do - regardless of how important. hope that helps.
-jot

Write something that is personal to you, something that has given you a learning experience. The AdCom is looking for a difficult situation that you found yourself in, how you dealt with that situation, what did you gain/learn, and if your solution is a testimony for the ability to think and reason clearly and morally sound?

I wrote about an ongoing event in my life that was very personal to me. How I found ways around the problems and what I learned. It was difficult to write it all in the space provided, but it is doable.

Pittsburgh was my second interview and my first acceptance. PittMed is a GREAT school, so think twice before you write this one. Your answer is weighed very heavily, I believe.

Good luck!

Originally posted by Drako
Write something that is personal to you, something that has given you a learning experience. The AdCom is looking for a difficult situation that you found yourself in, how you dealt with that situation, what did you gain/learn, and if your solution is a testimony for the ability to think and reason clearly and morally sound?

I wrote about an ongoing event in my life that was very personal to me. How I found ways around the problems and what I learned. It was difficult to write it all in the space provided, but it is doable.

Pittsburgh was my second interview and my first acceptance. PittMed is a GREAT school, so think twice before you write this one. Your answer is weighed very heavily, I believe.

Good luck!

thx you two.

I think i am going to write about the Gulf war. During this time (i was 10ish) i was faced with several "ethical dilemmas", ie since i was born in Iraq, i tried to hide the fact i was born there; "cover-up" i was trying to fit-in. what you guys think of this one?

thx

Originally posted by Femtochemistry

Can some of you guys give me some ideas on what to write; i am kinda lost for works/ideas.

thx

You ever steal something, feel bad and give it back? Ever witness a good friend steal something? Ever commit/witness the falsification of reserach data?

Ever had a older relative ask you to ensure his/her wishes after death be carried out, even if you did not agree with them?

Ever confront someone with a truth that no one else wanted you to reveal, i.e., addicted family member, abusive family member?

Ever kill someone at their request?

Okay the last one was a reach - even if ya did, don't ever write that you did!

Any situation you've experienced where a choice was presented to you that you felt uncomfortable making, you can explore. Present the dilemna, the choices, why you felt uncomfortable making the choice, and the rationale behind your final decision.

Here's a fictional example:

My grandfather was dying of cancer. He was denied hospice care, and was in agony most of the time. He wanted to kill himself, but lacked the courage to do himself in. He knew that the rest of the family would never entertain the notion of assisting him in suicide, but as his favorite granchild, who sat on his knee, got the largest scoop of ice cream, spent the most time with, he felt that he could make this request of me.

My being raised a Catholic strictly forbade my assisting in a suicide, and I personally couldn't even imagine helping him kill himself, but I loved my grandfather, and I equally couldn't stand to see him in so much pain.

This man I worshipped from the time I could walk. He had never raised his voice to me - not once, and I swear he had a twinkle in his eye and a gleam in his smile that never went away. I thought all great men smelled like tobacco and Old Spice aftershave. Now he lay in bed, thin, emaciated, begging and crying in front of me for the first time, asking that I help end his pain.

He had just received his next allotment of Fentanyl transdermal patches, and being the premed, I looked up what Fentanyl was, determined that an overdose would bring about unconsciousness and respiratory depression. I told him about it, and helped him apply all of them at once on his body.

Then I sat with him, as he slipped into unconsciousness, talking about all the great memories I had of him. The ragged breathing became lighter and lighter, then finally his chest stilled, and I thought I heard a last sigh of relief.

I waited a bit longer, then checked for a pulse and breathing. And then I removed all but one of patches, and then went home to discard the others.

He was at peace.

---

Something like that.

Though that example is still too extreme. Perhaps you had a family pet that needed to be put to sleep? Helping a friend in high school with teenage pregnancy? I'm not telling you to make it up, but there must be some conflict in your life that you can write about.

No, I didn't off my gramps.

- Tae

Originally posted by Femtochemistry

thx you two.

I think i am going to write about the Gulf war. During this time (i was 10ish) i was faced with several "ethical dilemmas", ie since i was born in Iraq, i tried to hide the fact i was born there; "cover-up" i was trying to fit-in. what you guys think of this one?

thx

Ah, that's an excellent one. Denying your true background and identity for increased safety and acceptance. Kinda like how Iranians told everyone that they were 'Persian', to distance themselves as Iranians.

The discovery process of what it means to be culturally different, to be proud of it, and taking the opportunity to educate and correct people about the difference between what one group of people do versus blaming an entire culture, rather than disguise one's self and blend in.

Go for it.

- Tae

ya, good idea, but not anymore..15,000 SDN members have seen it. =D

well, if you have truely never faced such a situation, that I guess you're screwed. If this is the case, I suggest you write about how you faced the moral dilemna of having to lie about facing a moral dilemna in an essay, and how you eventually decided just to admit to Pitt that you never have. Now THAT would be an essay!

i don't know that a meta-topic like this would make for a good read..also, they say "do not address cheating in an academic setting." probably, lying in a med school essay is cheating in an academic setting.

"Ah, that's an excellent one. Denying your true background and identity for increased safety and acceptance. Kinda like how Iranians told everyone that they were 'Persian', to distance themselves as Iranians."

sorry man dont speak out of your ignorance. Persian and iranian are not necessarily the same thing. If you dont know what you are talking about dont assume that "persian" people are trying to distance themselves from anything.

What about issues where you have to deal with something illegal, in my case drug abuse? The quick story was that someone in my fraternity was caught smoking weed in the house attic, we decide to take care of the matter in house, and I was on the judicial board which was to decide his punishment. I'm worried that if I go into this adcoms could have a problem since I knew of a felony (or misdemenor or whatever marajuana possession is) and didn't report it to the authorities. Any thoughts?