Need some help guys

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
P

PhiPhenomenon

Hey,

I've posted here before, I'm not sure if this the right board for this, but I'm just looking for some advice to see if there is anything I can tighten up.

I'm currently a mental health technician at a psychiatric hospital and plan on going to Harvard Extension School as a career changer come August.

- My stats are 3.1 cGPA and 3.0 sGPA (7 credits) with no MCAT yet
- I have about 100 hours under my belt as a volunteer at a local hospital and free clinic for the impoverished
- I'm currently in training to become an EMT-B and plan on volunteering when I can

I'm currently looking for a couple of research or mental health work gigs in Boston. I plan on spending at least 2 years in Boston doing my pre-reqs (hoping on 60 credits, translating into cGPA 3.4 sGPA 3.76 with a 4.0) and gathering more clinical experience and hopefully some research too. I have also made peace with the fact I might need to finish an SMP if I want to get admitted into allopathic.

Members don't see this ad.

Wait you have a 3.1 with 7 credits? That's no biggy, since you need 90 credits to even apply to medical school; if you do good and aim for high grades. You'll easily get a 3.5+.

Though I think you mean 70 credits.

He/she has already graduated from college and means that there are only 7 science and math credit hours so far on the transcript, allowing for an excellent possibility of a very high BCPM after the postbac program.

PhiPhenomenon, your plan looks fine. If you can get involved in clinical research where you work with sick people to gather data, it would count toward clinical experience too. After you've settled into the postbac routine, consider some nonmedical/noncampus hands-on community service, with a goal of eventually moving into a leadership position.