Need some Help!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JerzeyMan721

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Alright guys here goes my delima....I have take the mcat's about 3 times and can't seem to score well on them...meaning I can't seem to get over the 20 mark...I really want to apply to DO schools but think that score is way too low...I don't really want to take them a 4th time...I have a 3.0 GPA with a science of 2.9.

My question is...would a post-bacc program be worth it before I re-apply? Or should I consider another professsion....b/c i read you need a min. MCAT to enter a post-bacc program meaning I would have to take the MCAT a 4th time anyway..I really wanted to get into PCOM for their post-bacc program b/c it's near me....I have already applied to about 11 DO schools for next fall 2007 but haven't had any calls for any interviews...though I am not suprised.

I am between a rock and a hard place....half of me doesn't want to take NO for answer and continue persuing my dream...the other half says maybe it wasn't ment to be and a new dream might be in order....if anyone has any idea or input it would be much appreciated...PLEASE

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Alright guys here goes my delima....I have take the mcat's about 3 times and can't seem to score well on them...meaning I can't seem to get over the 20 mark...I really want to apply to DO schools but think that score is way too low...I don't really want to take them a 4th time...I have a 3.0 GPA with a science of 2.9.

My question is...would a post-bacc program be worth it before I re-apply? Or should I consider another professsion....b/c i read you need a min. MCAT to enter a post-bacc program meaning I would have to take the MCAT a 4th time anyway..I really wanted to get into PCOM for their post-bacc program b/c it's near me....I have already applied to about 11 DO schools for next fall 2007 but haven't had any calls for any interviews...though I am not suprised.

I am between a rock and a hard place....half of me doesn't want to take NO for answer and continue persuing my dream...the other half says maybe it wasn't ment to be and a new dream might be in order....if anyone has any idea or input it would be much appreciated...PLEASE

Thanks

Hey Jerzeyman,
Did you self-study? Kaplan/PR/Exam Crackers? Did you use old MCAT exams to study off of or merely just study material? Sorry for asking, but if you are not using any of those listed, it wouldn't hurt to give it a try before taking the CBT.

Another issue is your GPA. 3.0 is usually the bare minimum that most medical schools will consider though it will not be seen as competitive with a sub 20 MCAT. Was your major in engineering, Computer Science, Anthropology, Chemistry or Biology? If it was a difficult major, then they might be considerate or intrigued by what made you want to change to medicine.

From this standpoint, a post-bach wouldn't hurt, since it will allow you to retake many of your science classes and improve your GPA and your standing. Some post-bach programs are 1 year Anatomy masters programs where you study alongside with the medical students with the option of transfering over to the medical school if you prove your worthiness in the program.

If those don't pan out there are alternatives if you want to work in the medical field. They are:
1. NP's/PA's-can perscribe medicine and do many procedures, yet must work under a doctor.
2. DPT/OT/PT-help out people with strokes. (masters degree)
3. Clinical Lab Scientist/Med Techs -deal with the analytical side of medicine.
4. Paramedics-emergency treatment.
5. Podiatrist: foot doctor/surgeon.
6. Medical administrator: MBA course and good if you like managing. Possible to hit 6 figure income here.
7. Speech Therapist: self-explanitory.
8. There are always Foreign medical schools like St. George University, Ross and AUC. Also: UAG in Mexico. These schools are out of the country, but have good reputations for people passing the USMLE's.
9. Nurses: don't need to explain this one, everybody knows about them.

Don't give up on achieving your dreams. If you really want it, then work towards achieving them. Good luck to you.

hey tkdrifto

I like your advise. I was wondering if you can tell me where these 1 year Anatomy masters programs are? I tried searching for programs like this where you can take classes with other med students and use it towards a masters degree but didn't get many results.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)

Thanks
I underestand what you're talking about. I myself had to decide if I wanted to go through a LOT of work to get to my dream. I did, and I'm now a med student, but I did a huge amount of work to get here and made a number of sacrifices too. You can see some of my story on the link below my post. There's some things you're going to have to think about:

1) MCAT - I've never heard of a med student with a MCAT < 20 in med school. You're going to have to take it again, and you need to do it right. You're already in a tight spot with times 1-3, so you need to make this one count. Can you do that?
2) GPA is going to have to come up, and you need to prove that you can hack it. You won't get interviews unless you can prove to schools that you can do well in the coursework.

Everything else doesn't matter. Can you do these things? Look at my profile - my GPA was a little lower than yours, and you can see what I had to do to get in. Can you do that? Really examine your motives. Maybe there is another way that you can take care of others and give to others.

hey tkdrifto

I like your advise. I was wondering if you can tell me where these 1 year Anatomy masters programs are? I tried searching for programs like this where you can take classes with other med students and use it towards a masters degree but didn't get many results.

Thanks

What you describe is a Special Master Program. Head over to the Post-bach forum to get more information than you ever need about them.

does anyone know if most post-bacc programs require a min. mcat score??

Most post-bac programs do not require a min MCAT score. They are designed to help people with your GPA and there are also a few post-bac programs that also combine a MCAT-refresher course for those that really need it. Some of them even have a guarantee of interview if you go through their programs (e.g. UCLA). Additionally, you might also want to consider some of the off-shore schools in the Caribbean, Ireland or the Czech Republic.