Need some information from neurosurgeons!

Started by Ilovelamp
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Ilovelamp

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello,
I know this is probably a question that has been asked a million times, but I want to get a neurosurgeon's take on this. I am currently a 3rd year medical student debating between interventional neurology and neurosurgery. I am doing my neurosurgery week and a half during my neurology rotation and I am thoroughly enjoying it. But I have heard opinions from people who are not neurosurgeons about how horrible the field is etc. But most of the neurosurgeons I work with with are awesome and laid back and it doesnt seem like they are working 100 hour weeks. So my question is how is life after residency? I would really like to hear from neurosurgeons about this. I would like to have a life and a wife eventually. I just want to get a good clear idea before I make a decision.
Thanks
 
AFAIK the general consensus is that it is extremely hard for Neurosurgery and an active family life to co-exist, well unless you are operating a private spine reconstruction/repair practice. (during normal business hours, but even then I think people recommended another specialisation if you want to fix peoples stuffed spines.) 😛

There was a big post about this exact issue recently and while I think some people over exaggerated a bit, most of it seemed feasible.
 
Have u ever thought about ENT or ortho ?
They are much more family friendly
If u have passion then it is the best field
Good luck
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
AFAIK the general consensus is that it is extremely hard for Neurosurgery and an active family life to co-exist, well unless you are operating a private spine reconstruction/repair practice. (during normal business hours, but even then I think people recommended another specialisation if you want to fix peoples stuffed spines.) 😛

Not really true. Lots of residents and attendings are happily married with kids. It's not "easy", but the whole "unless you're PP spine your life sucks" is wrong.