need some love...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bucky

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here's another "what do you think I shoud do" posts:

I'm 32, graduated 5 years ago with a BS in Biochemistry and Molecular Biology after a subpar undergraduate career filled with dropping out once only to return to finish my last years while working 30 hours/week as a Nursing Assistant in a hospital. My numbers according to ACOMAS are 2.68 science and 2.5 overall. I've taken the MCAT twice, both times with a composite score of 26...first time was 6, 10, 10 and second three years later was 9,8,9. I'm preparing to take the April MCAT.
After I graduated I started working at a cancer research institute working in Basic Sciences. I left that job and started working at a biotech upstart three years ago. I have contributed to two published papers and two others are in the works. I've also done a wide range of volunteering. Last year I took a year long course in Anatomy that included a lab with prosected cadavers.
So...I'm planning to apply June 1st with the "underdog, life experience, if I'd known then what I know now" theme but am grappling with what else I should do. Post bacc? Master's program affiliated with a medical school? Or a separate program all together? PA school?
Thanks for your time and good luck with all your endeavors!

Members don't see this ad.

It seems to me that you'd be a shoe-in....except for your GPA (MCAT could be a little higher too...but I got in with a 27, so it's not impossible). Unfortunately, that GPA may prevent you from receiving most secondary applications. More than likely, you'll HAVE to take a post-bacc program to help it out. I don't know much about those so I'll defer more advice to someone who does....

PS- I'm 30...the "other life" experience is definitely a plus....

[This message has been edited by Cobragirl (edited April 01, 2001).]

Apply to all of the D.O. schools and you should at least get interviews with a few of them. I'm not even sure you need to retake your MCATS. You should get on the phone with a few admissions counselors from the med schools, tell them your stats and scores and story, and see if they have any other advice. Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your Ugrad GPA is very low, but you still have a shot.
wink.gif
Consider doing a Post-Bacc and retaking the MCAT.

tongue.gif
Stinky

SPEAKING FROM PERSONAL EXPERIENCE...

My undergrad was 2.7-2.8.
My graduate was 3.6
Admitted to multiple schools first try.

IMHO, you are going to need a M.S. degree to get in. My recommendation is to begin immediately at a decent program near you. I don't think the post-bacc program has to be at a medical school at all. Any decent university will do but name recognition is nice. It is a great idea to contact the admissions directors and simply ask them "What do you want me to do in order to be admitted to your program?"

Most importantly, Have you started building a relationship with a DO? This is crucial to your success. A great letter will go a long way with the admissions committee.
But not explain away your low GPA. NOTHING will explain that cold, hard number away. NOTHING. YOU MUST HAVE THE NUMBERS to have a reasonable shot.

My advice: start your M.S. sooner not later and start talking with a doc sooner not later. In your personal statement I would advise you to talk about all of your accomplishments and not harp on the 'underdog bit.' I do not think the 'underdog bit' plays at all unless you overcame something like homelessness, family tragedy, etc. Partying too much in undergrad does not make you an 'underdog.' (Sorry if I am off base here). Talk about your accomplishments and uniqueness that will ADD to the med school class. Skip all the excuses- I think you will turn off the reader unless real tragedy was involved and you talk about HOW YOU OVERCAME IT and how the experience will make you a better physician.

Good Luck.

[This message has been edited by DOby (edited April 02, 2001).]

Do the post bac, and raise that GPA. However you might give the application process a try on June first to see what happens.

Good luck,

Toran

What was your graduate program, DOby? Master's? Thanks for your input.

[This message has been edited by bucky (edited April 03, 2001).]