Need some motivation...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UCSD1984

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Taking the DAT on September 15th, and these past 4 weeks have been very unproductive as far as studying has gone. Long story short, I had to help family out for various reasons. I just started studying again about 3 days ago. Here's what I done so far...

1.) I will be finishing Chad's GC videos either tomorrow or after tomorrow.

2.) I still need to view all of Chad's Orgo videos.

3.) I've read most of Cliff's and KBB Bio but I restarted on them as of 4 days ago since I forgot almost everything. Basically, I need to go through all of Cliff's and KBB Bio.

4.) Haven't opened Crack DAT PAT yet, but it's installed on my laptop.

5.) Haven't touched QR.

6.) Haven't opened my DAT Destroyer or Math Destroyer (wanted to get through Cliff's, KBB, and Chad's videos before I started practice problems).

7.) Still wanted to order Topscore and Achiever for practice exams...

Gahhhh, do I have enough time if I put in 7-8 hours a day? I'm studying as we speak.

EDIT: Any strategies or tactics you have are greatly appreciated. If you think I'm screwed, be straight up with me. Also, pushing the test back isn't too much of an option because Fall quarter starts on Sept. 22nd...

Members don't see this ad.

crew09, I like your realistic approach but I'm still a bit shaky about this. I hope to hear from others in terms of what they think can be done in 6 weeks.

I'm planning on a few miserable days/weeks when I start preparing for the DAT. How bad do you really want it? Not trying to be bitter at all. But there are the "pre-dent" kids who you can pick out in an instant that don't have the motivation, I had one in one of my classes. Like I said though, there will be some miserable times when preparing for the DAT, thats just part of the process. Best of luck to you!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not sure you understood the point of my post. It's not about how "bad I want it", because I will put in the time and effort. I was actually looking for people who have studied for the DAT and have taken it and what they think of my 6-week study situation. I do appreciate your reply, though.

Since you titled this post "Need some motivation", I think the question "How bad you want it?" does fit into some of the replies here people given to you. If you only have so much time left and yet you are lacking motivation, I think no matter how your study schedule is like, you will most likely delay it.

In reality, nobody knows how fast you can go through all the materials you listed and actually attain those information, you know it best.

One tip to you tho, take a practice test and see where you are now. From the practice test, figure out your weak points and areas for improvements then start from there. If all of your schedule depends on "finishing" the materials you have, you will likely start to forget things as you go along (due to stress on the timing) and panic when the test date approaches. Study effectively = saves time & troubles.

Good luck!

Since you titled this post "Need some motivation", I think the question "How bad you want it?" does fit into some of the replies here people given to you. If you only have so much time left and yet you are lacking motivation, I think no matter how your study schedule is like, you will most likely delay it.

In reality, nobody knows how fast you can go through all the materials you listed and actually attain those information, you know it best.

One tip to you tho, take a practice test and see where you are now. From the practice test, figure out your weak points and areas for improvements then start from there. If all of your schedule depends on "finishing" the materials you have, you will likely start to forget things as you go along (due to stress on the timing) and panic when the test date approaches. Study effectively = saves time & troubles.

Good luck!

You're right, I didn't realize how poorly I worded the subject...my bad. Well, back to work I guess.

It's hard to say man. Based on your post, it seems your anxiety would best be served by simply getting down to business.

If you were looking for a more metrics based response, here's the most anyone can give you: start studying. After around the 4th day you can realistically make a schedule to do review (chads, cliffs, kbb, etc). After you finish that you can see how much time you need for destroyer and practice exams. A week from 15th, you can decide to reschedule or not based on Topscore results.

First week of classes is light anyways, you can definitely take it sep 22nd if needed.

I don't think anyone would say that plan is unreasonable, but ultimately only you can decide.

Use that sample DAT study guide!
I was not so motivated either (with a full time job).. but I followed the schedule to put some check marks and that motivated me! LOL

What helps me get in gear is I have a planner... Follow some sort of schedule, like DWs schedule, and plan each week. Make sure you do everything you set out to do each day.

I also have a stopwatch and let it run every moment that I study. I make sure each day I study at least 8 hrs... Trust me, if you do this you will get your shiz done.

I also have a stopwatch and let it run every moment that I study. I make sure each day I study at least 8 hrs... Trust me, if you do this you will get your shiz done.

I like this idea. You can also time yourself on how much time you spend on SDN and have a limit per day.

getting it done in 6 weeks is not unrealistic at all. i studied for 7 weeks total, about 30 hours per week the first 6 weeks and 60 hours during the last week. it sounds like you have all of the material you will need to do well and are willing to put in the time. it's important that you set a schedule for your studying and hold yourself accountable to that schedule in order to get the most done. if you get a couple of weeks into your studying and you need to revise your schedule, then do it.

i don't agree with starting with a practice test though. for me, i reviewed all of chad's chemistry videos, read all of KBB, and had done some practice problems from DAT Destroyer before I ever took a practice test. then i could pinpoint all of the areas that i needed to review in more detail and that gave me more focus in the last few weeks before my test. i finished by completing the DAT Destroyer, Math Destroyer, rewatching chad's videos, watching the thinkwell biology videos, and taking practice tests from topscore, ADA, and kaplan.

good luck!

If i am you, i would just concentrated on one material and limit my study sources. By looking at those stuff you have, i would be overwhelmed and would just give up. My only study asources are kaplan multicolor book, cd, destroyer, and achiever, probably a few full length tests. I study again and again using those rather than spending my time on so many.

Thanks for the responses everyone. I'm going to go super hard for the next 6-7 days in order to completely finish Chad's videos. After that, I'm going to read 3 Chapters out of Cliff's AP per day and start on Destroyer at the same time I restart with Cliff's. At night when I'm winding down, I'm going to practice the PAT with Crack DAT PAT. I still need to find time for QR, and I'll find out how much work RC needs when I take my first practice exam in 2-3 weeks.