I need some advice after taking my DAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pineapplecake007

Reaction score
Hi, I really need advice. I just took my DAT in July. I was super nervous as this was my first time and I had been studying since about 5 months ago. I planned on applying this cycle 22-23 once I took my DAT but I don't think I can anymore. I also got sick a couple days before the exam as well as my period starting the day before my DAT exam. I also noticed that the computer is very glitchy so it took a while to load the questions in the testing site so I couldn't get through all of the questions? I'm not sure if that was normal.

AA was a 15. I did worst on my science sections:

bio-14
chm- 14
ochm- 13
total science- 14

PAT was a17, Quantitative was 16 and reading was 16. I had a science gpa of 3.2 and an average gpa of 3.72 back in university. I used DAT bootcamp the most as well as some of my old notes back in university. I'd like some advice. I'm planning on changing my studying plans a bit before taking it again in Oct 2022 (haven't registered until exam is officially posted to the My account) and maybe still apply for this cycle or should I just wait to apply for next cycle??

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
When I was first studying for DAT, my practice scores were around that range at first, especially in chemistry. I realized that it probably meant that I had missing some fundamentals, for example, I didn't know how to do stoichiometry or balance chemical equations. So I started from square one on DAT, learning what atoms and bods are. I'm not sure what your practice scores were or if your DAT score was a fluke because of your illness, scores of 13/14 would indict that you may want to start with the fundamentals (ie chapter 1) . But definitely don't apply this cycle, you could write about how you almost cured cancer on your personal statement, but your application might get screened out because of those scores and never be looked at.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, I really need advice. I just took my DAT in July. I was super nervous as this was my first time and I had been studying since about 5 months ago. I planned on applying this cycle 22-23 once I took my DAT but I don't think I can anymore. I also got sick a couple days before the exam as well as my period starting the day before my DAT exam. I also noticed that the computer is very glitchy so it took a while to load the questions in the testing site so I couldn't get through all of the questions? I'm not sure if that was normal.

AA was a 15. I did worst on my science sections:

bio-14
chm- 14
ochm- 13
total science- 14

PAT was a17, Quantitative was 16 and reading was 16. I had a science gpa of 3.2 and an average gpa of 3.72 back in university. I used DAT bootcamp the most as well as some of my old notes back in university. I'd like some advice. I'm planning on changing my studying plans a bit before taking it again in Oct 2022 (haven't registered until exam is officially posted to the My account) and maybe still apply for this cycle or should I just wait to apply for next cycle??
You mentioned your computer was glitchy, did you report that to the test proctor? The ADA has a way of going back and checking and if indeed there was a problem with your computer you could be granted a retake. Your science GPA is on the low side which means you will definitely need a high DAT score. You need to regroup and and focus on learning the concepts, timing will not be an issue if you have a solid foundation. Your science scores indicate you missed more than half of the questions, I am sure the computer glitch didn't help but work hard and don't take the DAT until you feel 100 percent prepared.

Wishing you the best and hope that helps.

Nancy, co/owner, Destroyers

Hey! :) I can totally relate. My first time testing, I got a 14TS and 16AA last year. I got denied from every school. I learned that I really just had to force myself to study. I hated it at first and got easily unmotivated (which was a new for me). But I'm finally actually putting in the effort, trying not to overwhelm myself with tons of new information. Honestly, I just don't have it in me to study for 6-8+ hours a day. I work as an assistant full-time, have several church obligations, as well as family issues that I have to deal with on top of trying to live my life lol. Here's what I do, maybe it'll work for you or maybe not. Only YOU know yourself best so don't force yourself to listen to us if it doesn't work for you.

I got DAT Booster. I started with DAT Bootcamp and followed the study schedule but my brain would literally ache afterward, so I created my own.

With Booster, I study for 3-4 hours a day after work. This means I have to study on the weekends and not have an off day since I can't study for longer. I tried learning the bio notes, but I got overwhelmed again lol. I learned breadth>depth, meaning the variety of info on different categories you know is more important than trying to know EVERY detail about a red blood cell. Knowing that science was my weakness, I focused on that mostly.

Mon:
Bio practice test, review why I got each question right/wrong.
PAT 15+ minutes generator (I picked a different PAT section each day) --> Personally, I know I'll never get FTE so I don't spend much time on that and prefer to focus on other categories.

Tues:
Gen Chem practice test, review why I got each question right/wrong.
PAT 15+ minutes generator (I picked a different PAT section each day)

Wed:
Organic Chem practice test, review why I got each question right/wrong.

Thurs:
Bio practice test, review why I got each question right/wrong.

Fri:
Organic Chem practice test, review why I got each question right/wrong.

Sat:
Gen Chem practice test, review why I got each question right/wrong.

Sun:
QR practice test, review why I got each question right/wrong.

After reviewing questions, I like to sometimes go through my lowest sections (especially those that are typically tested on more questions). Then I review them with the practice problems on Booster or Booster's Quizlets. After this, I typically see improvement after the next time I test. The practice tests are most representative of the DAT and I've heard #4 is the hardest and #s 8-10 are super similar to the actual test.

Good luck!! <3