need some opinions please

Discussion in 'Caribbean' started by jhafez87, May 10, 2008.

1. jhafez87

Pre-Pharmacy
    HELLO there, I'm really want a career in the medical field whatever it is but it has to be something in medical. I have to make up my mind on which way i have to go. I'm planning to apply for pharmacy schools and 2 caribbean med schools. i like both fields, so what is ur opinion of that. I know that my stats will get me into both fields but i have to make up my mind......share plz. Thanks

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Instatewaiter

Instatewaiter But... there's a troponin

Attending Physician
    There are a few possible fields

PA/NP/other midlevel- less school than an MD. Good prospects for the future, not a lot of debt. That said you wont be the leader, so if that is impt for you, well cross if off.

MD- most expensive, most time consuming, most well respected, best paid. Huge pros and cons.
    Carrib MD- larger hurdles to get into the US, no gaurantee you will graduate, pass the USMLE or match. Large financial risk. If you end up matching in to what you want, all those issues disappear.

US DO- simialr to carrib MD but fewer "what ifs". Have possibility to match into DO residencies in addition to US ACGME programs (MD residencies). Still regarded less than US MD

Pharm- less debt than med school, fewer years of school, no residency. Personally I think this is a crappy alternative. Most end up counting pills in a walgreens. No real autonomy, no real pt contact. Good hour flexibility. Take it for what you will.

Dentistry- 4 yrs school so similar debt load to med school but you come out practicing. Less hastles with insurance and malpractice. The downside is you will be dealing with cavities, cleanings and crowns for the rest of your life.

Other options include OT/PT (physical therapy), nursing or low level providers.

4. oldpro

oldpro MS IV

Medical Student
    Shadow a DOC! This is something we should not be telling to do, you have to want to do this, it will rule your life no matter what you decide none of these professions are easier then the other, all take focus and work.

(BTW I'm a Much older student so I tell my kids the same things)

5. Top Gun

Attending Physician
    Only you can decide which field is right for you. I would suggest you shadow both a pharmacist and a physician. Then you can discover for yourself which field interests you more.

6. EMTB2MD

EMTB2MD New Member

Pre-Medical
    I second the advice of the previous posters on shadowing both a physician and a pharmacist. Apply to one or the other professional schools but NOT both. I'll never understand why some people who are passionate about becoming an MD go into dentistry after not getting accepted into medschool. Think about the 30+ years practicing you will do when graduate. You have to have a burning desire to become either an MD or a pharmacist. One of them has to capture your heart more than the other. You don't want to go to Pharmacy school, accrue 75K+ in debt and then decide to go to medschool!

Ken