need some sdn love

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aimsz88

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi all,

i'm just feeling a little bit down tonight...i feel like medical school is just so impossibly far away and although i'm trying to race there, i know it will be years...i just need some encouragement.

here's some of my background...i did my undergraduate at university of southern california and have an unfinished degree (B.M. in cello performance (i'm going to probably finish it off soon or just graduate with a degree B.A. in humanities and music)...undergraduate bcpm of like 2.85...dismal. see, i was a full academic ride scholar there, but i tried to do the cello and the pre-med at the same time. what a horrible idea. fought depression, etc., lots of personal issues (one of them being that i entered college a year early under a prestigious program there....i think the only good that did was speed up a crash on my face one year early)

anyways, back up on my feet. doing research at ucla school of medicine and doing their informal post bacc program at night (ucla extension)...got the gpa up to 3.1 so far and just took the MCAT...gonna take a year more retaking my bio and chem and such...it'll be up to about a 3.4 then granted i get A's from here on out...

i don't know. sometimes it's such a struggle just to work full time and come home and then truck my butt to class and then study till the wee hours then go to bed and repeat for years to come. i know there are pre meds out there with so much more on their plate, but i feel really overwhelmed right now.

is it worth riding this out? i know it is but i just feel really icky right now.

oh, and being from california, all my state schools are amazingly competitive and i feel like it would be a chance in HELL if i got into anywhere in cali. anybody have any advice on being a cali resident?

aimsz88

Members don't see this ad.

Sometimes I feel overwhelmed too and there are many people like us on SDN :D
I work full time, take 2 classes/semester (which means class after work from monday thru Thursday), the only free night I have is Friday and I volunteer in the ER, also I try to exercise, clean my house, go grocery shopping, take care of my hubby and try to socialize. :p

This is hard but you can do it. I feel down too sometimes but next day is better and slowly I feel like I get closer and closer to my goal.

COME ON YOU CAN DO IT!

Here is a virtual SDN hug ---> :love:

the nontrad route: Balancing all of the hurdles of the motivation for the switch, prereqs, MCATs, clinical exposure, apps, interviews, all while working full time, family, and (crucially) maintaining your general health.

these hurdles have certainly challenged my interests and intents in pursuing medicine. there have been many times when i've had to ask myself if medicine means enough to accept these hurdles.

i think that's probably generally true (i hope others will confirm or refute): the nontrad path really challenges an individual's intent in their objective.

i think at some level

keeping the faith / staying strong / rolling with the punches / step at a time

type philosophies are particularly appropriate to the nontrad route

last thing: In terms of schools many propose applying BROADLY to many schools across the spectrum. (I believe Law2Doc is forwards this approach). There's much to be said about that: More opportunity. Maybe look outside Cali and address any associated financials accordingly.

Hope this helps

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks you guys....it really means a lot to me that you replied. it was so nice to get up this morning, check sdn at work really quickly and find the love!

at least i know there are people who are out there trucking along doing the same thing...i don't feel so alone. docteurmarion, i admire that you try to keep a home throughout it all...your husband must be so supportive! that's so awesome.

nontrad314, i think you're probably right. applying broading is the best way to go, i just know that applying to a lot of out of state schools (unless they're the ones that like california residents alot) may end up in a lot of dissappointment when all is said and done.

thanks again you guys! will keep everybody posted...

If it can inspire you, read my diary on this web site under "pre-med diary" and you will read a LOT about my up and downs ;)

Just know that you are not AT ALL alone. There are people like us out there that struggle every day with this and various other things, and who are unsure what the outcome may be causing more anxiety and uncertain thoughts.......We know its very hard but we still do it
One day at a time

Trade in your watch for a compass, for life is not about how long it takes to get to the end, but in what direction you are traveling.

Chin up, young lady! For us non-trads, we will always have to have that extra something that gets us through. But, if you CAN get through, then the adcoms are sure to see that extra something, too.

It seems like we all go through these feelings, and lately I've been there with you. Hang in there!

My favorite inspirational quote...

With a little love and luck you will get by,
With a little love and luck, we'll take the sky!
In this mangled modern world you've got to try...
Try a little love and lock and you'll get by!

Buffett sure knows how to lift my spirits :)

:love: :luck: :love: :luck:

When I read your title and noticed the 7 responses - I thought you were looking for a date :laugh:

i'm not terrible looking. *wink*.

i am a former california's junior miss...and just did miss california (miss america system) and made top 10. but i'm more interested in support throughout the hellish years ahead rather than a date. :D :D

thanks for the love guys...i feel so much better. sdn rocks!

aimsz88

aimsz88 said:
i am a former california's junior miss...and just did miss california (miss america system) and made top 10. aimsz88

Why do you want to pursue medecine? :idea: just go for acting/modeling! Mucho $$$$$ and less time studying.

my $0.02 :laugh:

It felt much easier when all I had to do was studying, years ago. It's not only about energy. You mentioned the 'switch' between day work and night study being challenging, yes I feel that too. Sometimes it takes me a while to go through the daily mental transition (watch some TV, eat some snacks, then sit down study). Sometimes I just don't like to get out of bed. There were times I felt I was in a torpor. Two years ago as I started taking pre-med classes, it all seemed like a day dream to go to med school, but all it took was one step at a time, and now I am applying. Just do it and stick to it, and it will come sooner than you realize, it really will. Also, working out is a very good way to keep up the spirit. Talking about working out, after skipping swimming for months due to classes and MCAT, and of course work, I could not even complete my favourite event(200m butterfly), and it felt like to me I was going to have a heart attack. I see this as one of the many sacrifices I choose to make. Hopefully you will keep proficient your cello playing(playing a classical instrument is one of my life goals), in this regard you are a more well-rounded applicant than me.

powerbooki,

i think you hit the nail on the head. it is the mental transition from coming home from work, then forcing yourself to relax and change into a student for the night...otherwise you'll crash so hard at some point. some days i do feel like it's so much...i wake up and and i feel burden sitting on my chest, as i worry about how i'm going to do well at work and study for my next exam. ack!

yeah, i force myself to get into a gym at least twice a week...running then doing strength exercises really gets up the endorphins and keeps me sane. literally. and yes, i miss being a professional musician but i know the rewards of being a doctor are going to be far greater for my personal satisfaction than anything else i've done in my life thus far.

docteurmarion, hahaha....on my frustrated days sometimes i wish i had just decided to live an actress's life. but i know that's not for me. while it is exciting to be involved in a lot of fun things like pageants and the occasional shoot or whatever....nothing in that industry is guaranteed and basic respect is based on bull#$^$. it's something i have fun with and if mtv comes knocking, whatever. i'll still become a doctor!