Need some veteran advice, which schools???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sunnytooth

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Greetings, my overall and sci gpa is 2.7 Looking at predents.com, no schools accept averages that low. If my practice DAT's are any indication I expect to get no less than 19's across the board, and with four weeks left for my test date this could go up significantly. With my low gpa, its not about where I want to go or where I want to live or which program attracts me. I'm trying to use some strategy that will up my odds of getting accepted. I don't want to waste time and money (which I have very little of) and I'm looking for an honest opinion. Which schools should I or should I not be looking at outside of California? Any other advice would be greatly appreciated.:)

More about me:
33 year old mexican male
signficant volunteering
4 strong letters of rec
Biochemistry major at UC campus

Members don't see this ad.

Here is my honest opinion...

You'll need a post-bacc or master to offset your GPA unless you get 99% (I guess) on the DAT. Even NYU or Case nowadays accept high profile students.

Being a non-trad, it will be really hard for any of us to really predict. At my interviews, nobody seemed to care at all about my grades. (3.25 undergrad, 3.4 overall including grad). My experience counted a LOT more.

Unfortunately for you, there aren't very many people in exactly your situation (hence the "non-traditional" term), so none of us will know how low your GPA can go and still be offset by other experiences. You might want to do a search on the "under 3.0 club" to see which SNDers were successful and which schools are more forgiving of a low GPA if you have other indications that you are smart enough to hack dental school.

Members don't see this ad :)

You'll need a post-bacc or master to offset your GPA unless you get 99% (I guess) on the DAT. Even NYU or Case nowadays accept high profile students.

i agree, you need to do something to bring up that GPA.

Thanks ddstobe, I might just have to because 99% sounds a bit daunting. This will definitley be part of my backup plan. Recommend any non-thesis prog. just off the top of you head? :)

Being a non-trad, it will be really hard for any of us to really predict. At my interviews, nobody seemed to care at all about my grades. (3.25 undergrad, 3.4 overall including grad). My experience counted a LOT more.

Unfortunately for you, there aren't very many people in exactly your situation (hence the "non-traditional" term), so none of us will know how low your GPA can go and still be offset by other experiences. You might want to do a search on the "under 3.0 club" to see which SNDers were successful and which schools are more forgiving of a low GPA if you have other indications that you are smart enough to hack dental school.

Hi lgwdnbdgr, which schools did you apply to and interview at, have you been accepted? :)

Hi lgwdnbdgr, which schools did you apply to and interview at, have you been accepted? :)

Interviewed and accepted at OHSU, UW and Columbia. I was offered an interview at ASDOH, but withdrew my application before the interview.

Interviewed and accepted at OHSU, UW and Columbia. I was offered an interview at ASDOH, but withdrew my application before the interview.

Congratulations! Oregon is a beautiful state and a great school. I've begun to read the "under 3.0 club" thread and already got some good info. Thanks! :)