Need Suggestions.....help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nate2973

Are we there yet?
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here is my dilemma. My first experience at the four year school I was attending resulted in a very, very low GPA. I had a friend commit suicide several days before finals, so I blew those tests. I went through a big depression the following semester and blew those grades as well. After leaving school, I took several years off to reconsider my options. I have now been back in school for the past two years. All of my grades have been A-B.

The problem is my cummulative GPA is still below 3.0. I feel like I am not going to be competitive enough to admissions committees to get an interview, even with a stellar MCAT score. What can I do do promote myself to the fullest? The albatross that hangs around my neck is really starting to weigh me down. I have had an awesome academic record since returning to school, including med prereqs, but with the bad grades on my transcript, the pre-med advisory committee thinks I don't have a good shot at getting in.

I really want to prove to these people that I am capable of success, but am starting to lose faith. Any advise will be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

How much below a 3.0 is your GPA?

I don't think you'll have a problem. People get in with below a 3.0 all the time, even without "stellar" MCAT scores and a superior record in the last 2 years. The fact that your GPA the past 2 years has been above a 3.0 will count for a lot when it comes to getting interview invitations.

You've done your best in school, now do your best on the MCAT and apply wisely. No worries mate. :)

By the way, I've never trusted pre-med commitees - didn't use mine. They like having a high acceptance rate, so discourage people from applying that they don't think have a great chance. They're usually wrong about that chance anyway.

Hello nate,
I agree with the above poster, just keep doing well do avg or better if possible on the MCAT, and explain in your PS.
I had similar situations early in school and my cum gpa was below a 3.0 and that was with a good many A's to follow. But I had multiple interviews and acceptances, as well as alot of rejections.

The key is just dont give up and dont get down.

Good Luck keep on going

Members don't see this ad :)
just keep foraging ahead....!

(from a fellow tulsan)

That is exactly why I don't to ask the premed advisers for an LOR or even go near them. They just don't take me seriously. :mad:

Dr Dad,

Thanks for the words of advise. I went to MEDxtravaganza and was totally impressed with the program. After the visit, I had no problem making up my mind where I want to attend Medical school. They truly make you feel wanted.

N8

nate2973 said:
Dr Dad,

Thanks for the words of advise. I went to MEDxtravaganza and was totally impressed with the program. After the visit, I had no problem making up my mind where I want to attend Medical school. They truly make you feel wanted.

N8

Hahaha all Dr. Dad said was "keep foraging ahead", which doesn't make sense to begin with. Are you a chipmunk?
Are medicRN and I invisible? :laugh:

No you guys aren't invisible. I appreciate your comments as well. I was just throwing a shout out to a potential fellow classmate. Yes, I do agree that the pre-med committees are bogus. All they focus on are numbers, not the individual. I am a human being, not some cyborg, they want us all to be. They zero in on the past and cannot even see that if past grades were not on my transcript I would be in the top 5% of my class. I definately will be getting LOR's from my professors, who can actually see that I work hard and deserve a chance.

Nate,

When applying you must let the admissions committee know the reason for your sub-par academic performance early in your career. In your situation, I don't think any med school will hold that against you. Perhaps you can write about it in your personal statement, this is the only place you can address it before the ad com looks at your file. Don't worry I had a D on my transcript and no one even asked me about it on interviews. Keep your head up.

Don't worry. Ad comms know that "life happens."

I am almost a MSII... after a completely sordid academic past. In my first two years of undergrad I was placed on probation and subsequently expelled. If I can make a successful come back with multiple interviews and acceptances to both MD and DO programs (of which I chose DO), then anyone can. You just have to continue to work hard and demonstrate your commitment to becoming a physician.

Keep your faith. Work diligently toward accomplishing your goals. Never give up your dream.

Hey nate,

Don't put a lot of stock into what your pre med advisory tells you. If you want to pursue medicine, go for it. I think that you will have a great chance of getting accepted. My pre med committee didnt think that I would ever get accepted. It took a few application cycles, but I eventually was accepted. Don't get discouraged. BTW, I am sorry to hear about your loss. The death of a friend is difficult. Good luck to you.

Aaron

Walk tall regardless of what your GPA is. I know people that have gotten in with "marginal" stats. You have what you consider legitimate reasons why you performance lacked, and clearly your grades since have been much better. That's all they need to know :thumbup:

I would like to thank all for the words of encouragement and advise. Hearing from others that have been in or know of someone in my situation have been a real boost. I will not give up hope. I will keep the dream alive.

N8