Need to know numbers, NOT lab values

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lany

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Few numbers that arent part of the lab values that we're expected to know for the exam. I thought of few but pls add/comment/modify if there are some hy ones just so there is a "need to know list". I'll add/substract to this first post depending on the consensus of them being HY or LY. cheers. Post-step1 ppl's contribution is most welcome and greatly appreciated. :love:

1) cardiac chamber pressures
2) CVP = 3-5
3) PCWP = 12

4) MI diag.
- Troponin I - rise at 2, peak at 2 days, lasts 7 days
- CK-mb - rise at 6, peak at 12 hrs, lasts 24-36 hrs
- LDH1 - rise at 24, peak at 48 hrs, lasts 72 hrs

5) Inflammation
- Swelling = < 24 hrs
- Neutrophils = at 24 hrs, peak at 3 days
- Tcell/macrophage = at day 4, peak at 7
- Fibroblast = at day 7, peak at day 30, completion 3-6 mths

6) Normal AFI= 5-20, Polyhydramnios= > 20 AFI, Oligohydramnios= < 5 AFI
7) Nephritic = less than 3.5g/day, Nephrotic = more than 3.5g/day (maximum liver makes per day)
8) Plasma glucose = 2-4 hrs
9) Liver = lasts 24-28 hrs, beyond that proteolysis, lipolysis, ketogenesis
10) Glucose plasma concentration threshold - >200mg/dL (glucosuria can begin). Transport maximum - >300mg/dL
11) NADH = 2.5 ATP (used to be 3)
12) FADH = 1.5 ATP (used to be 2) - changes glycolysis & krebs net production
13) BMI < 17 - Anorexia
14) BMI > 25 - overweight
15) BMI > 30 - obese
16) BMI > 35 - morbidly obese
17) Erythropoiesis
- Yolk sac - begins at 4mth gestation
- Liver, spleen, flatbone - 6mth gestation
- Long bones - 8mth gestation
- Liver, spleen, flatbone - disappear at 1 yr of age.
18) Age of primary teeth falling out - 8yrs (ie. no replacment if 5yr old breaks one)
19) Hemoglobin F disappears by 6 mth of age
20) AIDS defining Tcell count = CD4 < 200 (or PCP infection) - start PCP prophylaxis. CD4 < 100 - start MAI prophylaxis.
21) leukemia's
- ALL = 0-15 yrs
- AML = 15-30 yrs
- CML = 30-50 yrs
- CLL = > 50 yrs
22) Cancer commonly seen in men = < 30 yrs or > 50 yrs
23) Cancer commonly seen in women = 30-50 yrs
24) Abcesses
- Day 1 to 3 = staph aureus
- Day 3 to 7 = Strep pyogenes
- After day 7 = Anaerobes (MC)
25) UC cancer risk - 10% at 10 yrs, then 1% increase per year
26) know HY diseases associated with chromosomes including translocations
27) Brain dead, comatose, sleep, pons lesion (Central pontine demyelinolysis) - Medulla breathes at 8-10 RR.
28) Membrane potential at rest = -90. K (-96) brought up by some Na (+65)
29) Na = +65, Cl = -90 (same as MP and freely moves), Mg and Ca = +120, K = -96
30) IQ in MR that requires 24hr care/instituitioned = IQ < 25.

Members don't see this ad.

Good list. Although I didn't scrutinize these, I did notice the glucose plasma threshold. I've always thought it to be ~200, rather than 250 as you've posted.

Good list. Although I didn't scrutinize these, I did notice the glucose plasma threshold. I've always thought it to be ~200, rather than 250 as you've posted.

thnx. the 250 and 350 came from brs. phys.4th ed. pg.160. our good friend wikipedia says 200 and goljan on RR.pg.520. In normal pregnancy, the threshold is lower. As opposed to 75g-2hr-200 mg/dL, pregnants are given 50g and after 1 hr - glucose level at or above 140 is gestational diabetes.

*first post edited on this.

Great idea.

Off the top of my head, I wonder if you need to add the common damage timeline for MI to the list along with the markers you have? i.e., no gross changes in 24 hrs, when you see infiltrates, necrosis, rupture, aneurysm, etc.

What about a brief embryology timeline? Might be a little more than you intended for this list.

Might also want to add rules for pre/post azotemia (BUN/cr >15:1, <10:1), AST/ALT for alcoholic vs. viral hepatitis, etc.

Great idea.

Off the top of my head, I wonder if you need to add the common damage timeline for MI to the list along with the markers you have? i.e., no gross changes in 24 hrs, when you see infiltrates, necrosis, rupture, aneurysm, etc.

What about a brief embryology timeline? Might be a little more than you intended for this list.

Might also want to add rules for pre/post azotemia (BUN/cr >15:1, <10:1), AST/ALT for alcoholic vs. viral hepatitis, etc.

when you come across them put it up here and i'll add it.. you could print it out sometime before your test to go over em. I'll try to add the ones you mentioned as well but might take awhile. I find that the process alone is makin it stick.

As for what i intended for the list.. i would rather know something and not need it than needing it and not knowing it. keep em coming.:zip: