Need to know u-subsitution?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UH Pharm

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I just had a quick question about the math portion, those of you who took the test in June- were their any u-subsitution problems in the quantitative ability portion of the test?

I reviewed derivatives and anti-derivatives but I don't know if I should spend any time reviewing this.

Members don't see this ad.

u substitution as in u dv = uv - v du? i don't remember seeing anything like that. the only difficult types of calculus problems i remember seeing are ones with graphs and given functions where you find the derivatives and solve for something.

u substitution as in u dv = uv - v du? i don't remember seeing anything like that. the only difficult types of calculus problems i remember seeing are ones with graphs and given functions where you find the derivatives and solve for something.
That's integration by parts, u-substitution is when you have a function inside a function like e^(x^2) and you cannot just simply integrate it straightforwardly especially for complex functions so you use a variable to "substitute" for the inner function and replace it after integration.

But regardless the calculus problems are nowhere near this difficult on the PCAT.

I am actually really worried about US based content on the PCAT, stuff like US geography, historical persons appearing in the analogies section and US spelling in the written section.

Should I studying the US material even if I am taking the Canadian PCAT?

thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
That's integration by parts, u-substitution is when you have a function inside a function like e^(x^2) and you cannot just simply integrate it straightforwardly especially for complex functions so you use a variable to "substitute" for the inner function and replace it after integration.

But regardless the calculus problems are nowhere near this difficult on the PCAT.

it's still technically a type of u-substitution. you substitute u for a function and dv for a derivative.

if there's integration by parts or even integration by substitution, it's usually with functions that are simple enough so that you can do it without a calculator.

I am actually really worried about US based content on the PCAT, stuff like US geography, historical persons appearing in the analogies section and US spelling in the written section.

Should I studying the US material even if I am taking the Canadian PCAT?

thanks

I don't recall seeing questions that required that type of knowledge.