Need to know u-subsitution?

Started by UH Pharm
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

UH Pharm

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys,

I just had a quick question about the math portion, those of you who took the test in June- were their any u-subsitution problems in the quantitative ability portion of the test?

I reviewed derivatives and anti-derivatives but I don't know if I should spend any time reviewing this.
 
u substitution as in u dv = uv - v du? i don't remember seeing anything like that. the only difficult types of calculus problems i remember seeing are ones with graphs and given functions where you find the derivatives and solve for something.
 
u substitution as in u dv = uv - v du? i don't remember seeing anything like that. the only difficult types of calculus problems i remember seeing are ones with graphs and given functions where you find the derivatives and solve for something.
That's integration by parts, u-substitution is when you have a function inside a function like e^(x^2) and you cannot just simply integrate it straightforwardly especially for complex functions so you use a variable to "substitute" for the inner function and replace it after integration.

But regardless the calculus problems are nowhere near this difficult on the PCAT.
 
I am actually really worried about US based content on the PCAT, stuff like US geography, historical persons appearing in the analogies section and US spelling in the written section.

Should I studying the US material even if I am taking the Canadian PCAT?

thanks
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
That's integration by parts, u-substitution is when you have a function inside a function like e^(x^2) and you cannot just simply integrate it straightforwardly especially for complex functions so you use a variable to "substitute" for the inner function and replace it after integration.

But regardless the calculus problems are nowhere near this difficult on the PCAT.

it's still technically a type of u-substitution. you substitute u for a function and dv for a derivative.

if there's integration by parts or even integration by substitution, it's usually with functions that are simple enough so that you can do it without a calculator.
 
I am actually really worried about US based content on the PCAT, stuff like US geography, historical persons appearing in the analogies section and US spelling in the written section.

Should I studying the US material even if I am taking the Canadian PCAT?

thanks

I don't recall seeing questions that required that type of knowledge.