Need to re-learn Pre-Calc & Calc. HELP!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kimbodoll

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've already taken Pre-Calculus and Calculus. The problem is I took them 3-4 years ago and I don't remember anything. I'm debating on whether I want to spend money and retake them to relearn them for the PCAT or if there is maybe a sufficient book out there that can reteach me everything.

I should mention I'm pretty good at math. I got A's in all the classes but I simply don't remember anything any more. What should I do for those of you who have taken the PCAT?

Members don't see this ad.

If you are good at Math, then it would be easy to recall what you have studied earlier. Don't waste money and retake them classes. Just brush up the material by doing practice problems or worksheets.

Thanks for the tip! Would anyone know of any good books or materials that would go through all the math sufficiently for the PCAT?

I am no expert in math or study materials but I was somewhat in your position a few months ago. I used a kaplan study guide which had practice problems and a few practice test. There were solutions for every problem which helped me understand the question and remember how to do them again. The only bad thing was it didn't cover some calculus problems on the PCAT that I took. I was a little disappointed about that. I scored an 89 on the QA section so it couldn't have been all that bad.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you're pretty good with math, then don't bother retaking calculus. Calculus on the PCAT is pretty basic anyhow, as long as you can do derivatives and integration without a calculator, you're good. I would say just go to the library and photocopy some of the math section stuff from the PCAT or just go to Barnes and Noble, take out the Kaplan PCAT book and flip through that or buy it and return it without marking it.

I used the Kaplan book and that was sufficient for me at least.

There's a free summary at www.xraynova.com of math topics for review, that one might expect on the PCAT. Just click on "PCAT MATH" in the left column of that webpage, and ignore the rest of the stuff on that page. The level is neither too low nor too high... but if you can follow the discussion for the sections in which you require help, and can do the problems at the end of most sections, then you should be able to improve your score a bit... and then again, maybe not.